1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon: "We can’t isolate as much against a good defensive team. I don’t care who you are."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drogba, May 15, 2018.

1. Drogba

Drogba Member

?

mockster, Amel, Hakeemtheking and 6 others like this.
  2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Show up more often in the playoffs.

3. RESINator

RESINator Member

Big talk from a guy who missed his shots for the first 3 quarters. Gordon u are the reason Paul and harden needed to go iso at times

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gordon's mouth turns Tmac mode.

5. Drogba

Drogba Member

Lmao, if I was Harden I'd do a Kobe & flat out refuse to shoot the entirety of Game 2.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean... I'm not really a guy that has a problem with the ISO approach.

That said, you have to play to your team's strengths.

I absolutely believe EG would play better with more movement and plays in the offense. I know this, because the guy is VERY good shooter when they run a REAL play for him, he gets semi-open. Even in the midst of slumps, he hits those threes at a very solid %.

It's a problem of having the scheme fit your personnel. I have no problem with ISO ball, if the role players have no problem with it, which for the most part they haven't.

7. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Good bye Gordon, it was nice seeing ya choke.

8. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

He didn't play well but he is right. Capella is saying the exact same think (read it in USA today online).

rm365, D-rock, Rox11 and 5 others like this.
  9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Surprised to see this. He has had a crappy playoffs shooting-wise, and he played sloppy last night. Couldn’t hold onto the ball.

It’s his job to take pressure off of the iso initiators. That includes initiating plays himself by driving aggressively on some plays. He got those opportunities and bobbled the ball or took a mid range shot. He looked panicked last night until the end of the game. Hopefully he’s settled down now.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the most pertinent stat was really the turnovers, our reduced ball movement has served us well keeping our turnovers down low (really its almost our core strategy for golden state), yet even with their high ball movement, they had less turnovers than us.

We were average, they were way below theirs, really just gg for them.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think at some point he is going to do exactly that.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He's 100% right. The reason why he's shooting this poorly is because he's not getting the ball enough. It's really hard for him to get a rhythm.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rocket River

Caesar, lw17 and topfive like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

well he forced to iso quite a few times too yesterday because of how bogged down the offense was.

saleem and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What's his 3 point percentage in the playoffs again?

16. Major

Major Member

I think you all are missing his point. He's not saying the ISO players can't score - in fact, he's saying they are great. But if you want him and the rest of the role players to score, the ISO-kick-out-to-3 strategy doesn't work as well against good defensive teams, because they don't lead to open 3's. ISO strategy plays into GSW's hands - let Harden and Paul go off but shut everyone else down. There has to be more ball movement if we want the role players to have any success. You see this exact thing with GSW - their role players constantly get easy looks for that exact reason. He's not disagreeing that he and the other role players aren't doing well - he's explaining why.

bj3175, Amel, UTSA2step and 3 others like this.
  17. hakeemthagreat

You guys are so focused on his boxscore stats you're missing the point. He's right. But his comments aren't blaming any particular player, it's more aimed at the offense which is lead by MDA/Daryl Morey. MDA HAS TO HAVE a plan B. When they take away the pick & roll, there has to be something better than Harden stepback 3's. We gotta make a adjustment. Ryan Anderson should not be playing. Nene should not be matched up with KD. I'd rather have Joe Johnson playing center than any those guys. The Rockets need to do something different on offense. There is no Rudy Gobert or KAT to pick on this series. This Moreyball style offense may have met something that beats it

cheke64 and da_juice like this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How often do you think he needs to get the ball, out of curiosity? He had 13 shots and 4 turnovers, so that's 17 offensive possessions that he ended. How many should he be getting?

darksoul35, D-rock, riko and 3 others like this.
  19. Mr. Space City

need to talk more about the defense.

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Dude keeps dribbling off his foot and wants the ball more?