1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[3rd round #68] Justin Reid, Safety, Stanford

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2018.

?

Do you like the selection of Justin Reid?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2018.
  1. YES

98.9%
  2. NO

1.1%
  1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Normally I would agree with your assessment of O'Brien/rookies but I don't see how he makes Reid sit if he's playing well. Hal has been a surprise but is a very, very average defender. Mathieu, we'll see what we get but his game is more predicated on being around the line/in the box. Reid shows anything at all I think they start with a rotation. If he makes more plays than Mathieu, he's in there and if he's more consistent in coverage, he's in for Hal. Neither seems like a bar too high.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No I believe he should be the guy right away but BOB makes every guy have to prove it and most of the time they have to do it in actually game action. Not practice.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Anybody know if they changed the rule where PAC-10 schools had to sit out some more because their school year ends later than others?

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

From that clip, he exudes intelligence, preparation and eagerness to proof himself. I can imagine he will make a bigger impact than many realize. When the Texans defense was going two seasons ago, the biggest hit we took in the FA loss was the secondary, not just Bouye but another safety that had an impact (can't think of his name this minute)... I feel we addressed that loss with this draft pick and honey badger.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Didn't know where to put this but I thought it was funny. Going down the YouTube rabbit hole the other day, there was a game of Hopkins in college where everyone was focused on Sammy Watkins, the freshman phenom. Watkins got hurt on the first play and Hopkins single handedly led the Tigers passed a 4th ranked LSU team. Who did he burn basically all day? This guy's brother Eric Reid. Wonder if Hopkins will mention that to Justin. "Yo man, i schooled your brother, can you be better?" haha

Fulgore likes this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

houstonstime likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I remember there was a lot of talk about Sammy Watkins by one poster that I think is now gone. He was trying to say the Texans should get Sammy Watkins with the first pick in the draft in 2014 so that they would finally have a #1 WR.....this was obviously after we already had Nuk Hopkins, so at least with some the notion that Watkins was the better WR persisted. Pretty funny looking back though.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Only watched the first 3 minutes but didn’t seem like Eric Reid was the one guarding him

charlieaustin likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He needs to find #24 and tell him that he cant even sniff his jock strap. That dude was toasted and roasted all night.

houstonstime likes this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea, it was mainly #24, I think I just fixated on Eric Reid getting hurt as well as multiple PI calls. Either way, no one could cover him.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Hal won't be playing for the Texans this year

14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Did he get traded? I haven’t been following as close as I usually do.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, he didn't get traded, I think that poster believes that Justin Reid comes in and is an instant starter and Hal just rides the bench. I'm not sold on that interpretation. Right now Dre Hal has to be considered the favorite to be the starting Free Safety with Mathieu at Strong Safety. I mean, if you ask PFF, Dre Hal is the best Safety currently on the roster. I could see Reid being the future, but Hal is the present day.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Nope -- but he won't be able to play football this year. Time to expedite Justin Reid's learning curve.

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Your vague allusions to insider information is growing weary at an extreme pace.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Sign him

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member