1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Clint Capela's quick ascent has given Houston Rockets stability in the post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, May 6, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

didn't see this posted yet?

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/05/05/clint-capela-has-turned-himself-valuable-asset-houston-rockets

Clint Capela's quick ascent has given Houston Rockets stability in the post
    Under the guidance of Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon, Rockets center has become a dangerous tool for James Harden's pick and roll game
    [​IMG]
    Shaun Powell
    @Powell2daPeopleArchive
    May 5, 2018 9:50 PM ET

capelagobert050518.jpg

Rockets center Clint Capela has had the upper hand in his matchup with Jazz center Rudy Gobert.

SALT LAKE CITY — The form shown by the big man on the floor Saturday was unmistakable, the technique familiar, the execution precise. The body was surprisingly trim and fit, but Hakeem Olajuwon is 55 now and any hope of him suiting up and checking in at the scorer’s table is only a dream. So, he just settled for some playful shooting drills and a comical one-on-one against a Rockets’ staff member to pass the time.

But the Hall of Famer and two-time champion is helping his former team anyway by mentoring Clint Capela. Their workouts are more serious and obviously more important to the cause and follow a very simple pattern.

“He tells me what to do,” said Capela, “and I do it.”

That’s the proper way to learn from a legend, by being a sponge and taking those lessons and putting them into play. And anyone who has watched Capela this season, and especially in this playoff series against the Jazz, can claim witness to the rapid rise of the young center. Once an ornament and now a core member, Capela’s role is suddenly critical to the Rockets’ championship hopes, partially due to a big assist from the Dream.

“He comes to me every day at practice, saying, ‘You should try this, try that.’ He really believes I can do this,” said Capela. “When a guy like that comes to practice every day and is constantly telling you how good you can be, you start believing it.”

Yes, the 23-year-old from the hoops hotbed of Switzerland who just two years ago was raw and clunky is still pinching himself, with the Jazz feeling the sting. More precisely, Jazz center Rudy Gobert is getting punished; Capela is outplaying him at both rims and sometimes drastically so.
    more at the link

Attached Files:

Plowman, napalm06, DreamShook and 5 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keem finds ways to dominate Utah.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5 years Daryl Morey. We got ourselves an all-star Center.

Hakeemtheking and Lawlruschang like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not yet. He needs a couple of more years to reach that mark, provided if he is willing to improve on offense, FT's, while maintaining his defensive and rebounding prowess. This off season is important for him to take the next step to become a more all round player. If he doesn't, he will remain at a role player level.

#4 saleem, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Zboy likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The part that's bolded here was a surprise to me. I knew that Dream had been working with Clint, but I didn't dream that Hakeem was working with Capela at practices on a regular basis. It's news to me. Small wonder that the highly intelligent former soccer player, Clint, has had such a dramatic improvement this year. Unlike the various NBA players who came to the Master to learn how to improve their post play, and attempt to learn those moves Olajuwon used to flabbergast his opponents during his prime, Clint is the perfect student.

He's tall, with very long arms and soft hands, is very quick, with an elite leaping ability that reminds me of Dream, because Clint isn't mindless about it like so many young (and not so young) 5's in the post can be, collecting fouls left and right in the process (a stage he went through), instead learning to be in control of what he's doing down low. Capela, in my opinion, has decent lateral movement for a big man. Maybe not at Dream's level, but ballpark, and increasingly good footwork. Like Hakeem, he started out playing soccer (what's called football everywhere but the States), and like for Hakeem, it's been very beneficial to Clint's footwork and body control. Capela also seems to have a knack for grabbing rebounds, something instinctive that I wondered if he possessed his first couple of years. Also, whether he could be elite at blocking shots. Turns out that the talent was there!

Clearly, the impact of Dream (and the coaching staff, of course) on his defense, in my opinion, has been dramatic this year. What we have seen glimpses of is the impact on his offense and I'm optimistic about that part of Clint's game. His improvement scoring down low with the lobs and put backs from offensive rebounds is terrific, but I think he's going to expand his offensive game going forward, with help from Olajuwon, the staff, and the other players. He's working on a baby hook shot, driving to the basket (we've seen some of both), and (fingers crossed) hopefully a jump shot. Clint has yet to see his 24th year. He's almost there, but the point is that he's young and eager to learn. He also doesn't seem to have a big ego, which has gotten in the way of so many players who, after the draft, sometimes show up from a year of college thinking they know everything.

All my opinion, although I've been following Olajuwon from his days at UH as a tall, skinny guy on campus, busy red-shirting his freshman year, something often forgotten. We've all seen how the young Akeem morphed into the unstoppable Dream. While Clint is no Olajuwon, I'm excited about his potential going forward. I think he's still got a long way to go to reach the limit of his talent at both ends of the court. Capela is a gift given to the Rockets by Daryl Morey, who probably didn't think he could be this good when he drafted him, and I think he's going to get better. Much better.

#5 Deckard, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Plowman, napalm06, Zboy and 4 others like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, Deckard, I had no idea about this: “When a guy like that comes to practice every day and is constantly telling you how good you can be, you start believing it.”

That is so frikken awesome.

Patience and Deckard like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It shocked me. That's something that has been kept under wraps, apparently, and it came straight from Capela's mouth. :cool:

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I freaking love Dream so much.

saleem likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Playoffs: 16PPG 65% EFG 12.8TRB 1.8 AST 2.1BLK

Deckard and Williamson like this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jazz should hire Mark Eaton to work with Rudy Gobert to counter this move.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Advanced playoff:
    PER 27.5
    30% of defensive rebounds while on the floor
    22% of total rebounds while on the floor
    9.4% of all assists while on the floor
    18.7% usage

The assists are what have really increased this playoff serious, almost have doubled. Doubling a low number isn't all that impressive, but it does bode well for Capela long term growth.

Deckard and Williamson like this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

5000 quadzillion dollar contract.

[​IMG]

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I love this!

L O L.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Loved this! Thanks for sharing! I love hearing that Clint is smart enough to know how much he can learn from Hakeem. We've also recently learned that he listens intently when Harden speaks. Sharp kid. It's also really great to hear how invested Hakeem is into his development; that bodes very well for him.

Deckard likes this.