1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why does the home crowd seem so flat this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 3, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Drogba likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

Smaller old Arena

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes, if you pay that much for a ticket, YOU WANT TO BE AT THE GAME

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Here's why...

season tickets for 4 seats row 11 even with the top of the 3 point line... 48k

add playoff tickets and you could be north of 70k total depending on how far the Rockets go and how many games each series lasts

Who do you think buys most of those tickets? Corporations or executives.

Most of them aren't about to act a fool with coworkers, clients, etc around them...

Plus, let's be real... the match ups we drew for the playoffs weren't exciting. T-wolves and Jazz... yawn

Also, we are bored with the good but not great Rockets. We aren't a city just happy to be in the playoffs finally and we haven't won lately either. We are a city with multiple playoff failures that were crushing because of how bad some of the losses were. Some people don't want to spend $1600 bucks for 4 seats to see that again.

24/7 coverage of the only thing that matter is Rockets vs GSW... that's when the crowd will show up (if we make it that far)

5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

How can you yawn about a classic rivalry series against the Jazz. You making excuses. The crowd just isn’t a live one. It is what it is. They paid for their ticket so they can cheer however they want but it’s been the weakest crowd in the postseason outside of Milwaukee

mario_v likes this.
  6. Mattician

Mattician Member

Less butts in seats compared to other teams, including teams not in the playoffs. The lower bowl has noticeably more empty seats. Doesn't look good for a team that had the best record in the NBA.

If the employees of those corporations can't go/don't want to go, those lower bowl tickets should be available to everyone.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

That is not why -- that "problem" is not unique to the Houston Rockets. Virtually every NBA team has similar season ticket prices. For example, look above and notice that the Spurs have a higher ticket average than the Rockets do. Spurs fan would pay the same or more for the seats you referenced -- yet they don't have the crowd issues that we do.

mario_v likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

me too

imagine looking up at the crowd as the game is about to start and the place is like 30% full, and then throughout the game the arena is just dead

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I can "yawn" because that is what a lot of the paying fans are doing. We have sold a lot of our seats in the playoffs because of the stupid start times or family reasons. Some we sold a little above face value and some we took a small loss on. People aren't paying those prices to see Twolves and Jazz. The Jazz haven't been a thing since they spanked us in the playoffs with McGrady and Yao. Okc and even the Spurs would have been bigger draws with better crowds.

The rivalry with the Jazz is 12-20 years old. Young kids aren't clamoring for their daddy to buy tickets to see the Jazz. It's all Lebron, GSW, etc.

gmartz likes this.
  10. Bob Barker 007

I'm assuming you haven't been to Milwaukee. I went to the Bradley Center for Game 3 against the Celtics, and that crowd in Round 1 was a lot better than Toyota Center in Round 2.

gatsby and Reeko like this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think it has a ton to do with the building, itself...it's layout in particular.

Deckard likes this.
  12. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

TC is an absolute embarrassment. Seeing the lower bowl almost completely empty at tip made me want to vomit.

No wonder the team gets off to these slow starts.

mario_v, napalm06 and Reeko like this.
  13. gmartz

gmartz Member

Honestly, I think the layout is a lot better than most. SA, for instance, ATT center has the worst layout. Their seating is so cramped. You feel as if you are sitting on top of one another.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

At least they would be filled!

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

It's the Increasing Urbanization of the Toyota Center.

They'll gladly take my cheeze but don't like my ghetto vibe.

Still, I keep it real.

I'll let em have my cash cause my boy Morey gotta pay for his nachos addiction topped with that real cheddar cheeze!

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The NBA should take a note from european soccer leagues and fine the team if there are empty seats visible on TV. Guarantee if the team/owner had to pay a fine for empty seats they would find a way to get people in the seats. Move people down from the upper bowl if you have to.

RudyTBag and mario_v like this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m from Milwaukee. I was there the last time they won a playoff series against the hornets. I know how loud they can get. They weren’t that loud this postseason

18. Bob Barker 007

Then that should tell you how quiet it has been at Toyota Center.

19. buffalobills!!!

Probably because they **** the bed and were an under-performing team

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Something Tilman & his family has failed to address since being owners. Honestly, Tilman probably doesn't even notice these things since he lets his idiot sons run the business and they clearly don't know what they are doing.