1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

Look up.

2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

So far so good.

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

With 12 outs to go Cole has a shot at 15 Ks+ if he goes CG.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I grew up on the NL and pitchers batting; I looked down at the AL for DECADES and hated the DH.

Now? Why would anyone want to EVER watch a pitcher bat? What is the point? In what other sport would we champion an idea in which the participants themselves are wholly ambivalent? Pitchers are terrible batters and yet make next-to-no effort to improve. THEY don't care. It's the equivalent of watching a kicker who never practices.

desihooper, Uprising and Houstunna like this.
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, Dez had too many drops last year. If he hadn't...he'd still be there. But I think he was dropping them because he was pressing...trying too hard to make things work. That sounds like a solvable problem. He'll also be healthier this year, and now with a big chip on his shoulder. I think he'll have a pretty good year wherever he goes. Not sure he would have with the Cowboys. Dez is the type of player who is always open, no matter how well he's covered. You throw the ball up, and he goes up and gets it. The problem is...Dak doesn't/can't make that throw. Romo could. That Dez's declining production coincides with Romo's being unavailable at QB is no coincidence.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

If THEY don't care, you don't want THEM on your team, just like a kicker who never practices. Maybe have pitchers throw at them during BP until their attitude improves....

#786 BigDog63, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Very disappointing as he chases 500 HR. Beltre is so interesting because for half his career he was really kind of a disappointment. Looked like he would be a superstar as a young guy in LA, then fell off before putting up that MVP caliber season in his walk year, just to sign with Seattle and really disappoint, especially at the end and had to settle for a 1 year show me deal with Boston and he never looked back. In the non-PED era (not that there aren't PEDs still), he has been a better player after 30 than he was before.

Didn't make an all-star team his first 12 seasons in the bigs, but is going to be a first ballot HOFer. Arguably the 2nd best 3rd baseman of all-time.

#788 juicystream, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Modern metrics really make him look good.

The 3000 hits and almost 500 HR are HOF check to begin with. But when you include his glittering defensive metrics, his WAR is top 30 for position players. We're talking all time great career, even with disappointing offensive result for most of the first half of his career.

Really only Mike Schmidt is clearly ahead of him.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If their most valuable veteran parts are injured, it's going to be very difficult for them to get any real value back in a trade. I'm not even mad.

Uprising likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Beltre is a guy I've always respected. An all-world 3Bman who always came across as a great guy who was loved by his teammates. HOF easy.

12. Buck Turgidson

Brooks Robinson. Hard to think of any others.

craigharmann and msn like this.
  13. msn

msn Member

Also hate to see Beltre go down.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The following are at least on par, and I'd take any of the three over Beltre

Chipper Jones, Wade Boggs (even with lack of HRs, OPS is much higher than Beltre), George Brett

Also, the Astros very own, Eddie Matthews

msn likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Chipper and Eddie Mathews maybe

Boggs is another Red sox player that got a massive, massive boost from playing 1/3 of his career games at Fenway Park. Before the Rockies existed it was easily the most hitter friendly park in baseball. Not that he wasn't still a great hitter away from Fenway, just that his numbers wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

16. Buck Turgidson

Scott Rolen, when healthy.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But that doesn't exist does it?

Rolen is basically Beltre, just with fewer PAs due to injury. If he had another 200 games in his prime, I think he'd be in the HOF. I think he may get there one day still, but it would be via Veteran's committee. Even with the injuries he's very similar career wise to Ron Santo.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Rolen = Caminiti

I get your point, and you are not wrong. So can I go back to Schmidt, Robinson, Beltre?

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why someone would be disappointed that a 1) contract-year savant and 2) likely PED abuser got injured is beyond stupid.

That poster sleeps wearing his Kelvin Cato jersey.

#799 Houstunna, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  20. msn

msn Member

Your opinion is duly disregarded.

For me, I wish no ill on anyone, including those from irrelevant teams that some like to hate on. Also, when good players go down, the talent in the league is less. That's not good for baseball. (I was similarly disappointed when Durant and Curry were injured; I want to see the Rockets beat the best team at its best. Not a fan of lame asterisks...)

Thanks for reminding me of Cato and that ridiculous contract. I'll see your Cato and raise you a Matt Maloney (not that he was a roider?; just another bad contract and bad memory).

tellitlikeitis likes this.