1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts about game 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MD_in_Training, Apr 15, 2018.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

One of the worst games of the entire year for everyone but Harden and Capela. Surely, the supporting cast will not have another game like that. They couldn't throw it the ocean, even Flash Gordon was MIA. CP3 needs his insurance agent to come and help.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's irritating, but simply lack of focus for James and CP3. I know they are capable of making them. I was pleased to see Clint finally make some. That was an unexpected surprise.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hmmmmm, so was he choking when it counted then?

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Let's hope Luc and Ryan can come back and stay healthy. Everyone else needs to stay healthy!!!!! No sprains, strains, dislocations, or cutting appendages on broken bottles in trash please!

5. ballscientist1

from what I watched last 3 years playoffs.

Christ Paul is no longer a superstar.

CC is good, but GG and JJ are not good.

All 4 have contract time in July.

6. ballscientist1

Paul, GG and JJ playing like this, Spurs would have blown out Rockets.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

thibs strategy was to stay home on shooters and make harden beat them by himself. it almost worked but james is playing like an mvp.

he probably keeps the defense the same, gets towns and butler more touches on offense, and hope james can't put up 44 again. except paul won't play that bad again, and our shooters won't shoot that bad even if the wolves stay home on them all game again.

mda will probably keep everything the same on both ends. paul needs to make better choices and shots need to start falling for everyone else. its not a scheme thing, just a bad game by everyone except james and capela.

MD_in_Training likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing, but hey, we won. The odds of them all playing like that again are minimal I hope.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Quite true. In fact, this is what Barkley was referring to when he called the T-Wolves "The Dumbest Team In The NBA" because they weren't taking abvantage of the mismatches that came about due to this defensive scheme. I was paying attention to this at well. Now, I don't expect it to cost them (Rox) in this series because it's the T-Wolves but against a better team, this could prove decisive.

MICHAEL W LAND and Beardaholic13 like this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Last year: 25.3 points on 49.6% shooting, 36.8% from 3 on 5.4 attempts, 9.9 assists to 2.7 turnovers.

He did have a bad game - GAME 7 - 6-19 shooting and only 1 free-throw, still 9 assists to 3 turnovers.

Please repeat your point and how it's relevant to his 5-14 shooting, 4 assists to 6 turnovers game yesterday?

D-rock likes this.
  11. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

I'm pretty much convinced Chris Paul will never have good defensive impact on a Bzdelik defense.

Chris Paul does not defend pick and roll plays. Something he has been elite at for over half a decade, at least. He has become a post-up defender and only closes out on very tall shooters.

Bzdelik is a stupid person.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You have this weird vendetta against a top 5 defense that is tailored in a way to keep players fresh.

D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  13. basketballholic

LOL

You are way underestimating Westbrook's ability to destroy his own team's offensive strategy.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I've never mentioned it before but truthfully always thought apache=holic.... same person or no?

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dude.

He didn't "stay home on the shooters " we had 37 3 attempts. We probably would have taken some more if anyone had gotten hot .

We just missed wide open shots . I hope thibs tries the same plan , because we would be very unlikely to shoot that poorly again .

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

At times.

It’s my opinion that the Warriors were trying to manipulate the seedlings after they figured out
    they wouldn’t catch Houston. I believe they were trying to avoid the Thunder. Because they felt they
    might figure it out by the playoffs.

Rockets don’t have a Post Up presence. Hoping Harden/Nene/Ryan Anderson will post up proficiently and
    consistently all of a sudden is a reach. It would have been good to take advantage of point guards by doing
    so. Thunder can Post Up Rubio/Curry with Melo/Paul George with greater efficiency. Gobert and Favors
    are big but don’t Post Up much. Easy points or drawing defense from the post is to the benefit of teams
    now, as they try to emulate the Warriors.

Favors is shooting 28% from 3. No threat there. Two bigs clogging the paint.

Rubio is 35% from 3 on about 3.5 attempts a game. Can he beat for the duration of a series? Doubt enough.

Jerebko is 41% from 3; but on like 2 attempts per game. Sometimes you guard him....sometimes you don’t.

You guard Ingles and Crowder.

Melo has been a good catch and shoot 3-point shooter (one of the reasons the Rockets have wanted Melo).
    Supplies spacing for Paul George.

Paul George can kill you with 3-point shooting. Gives Melo and Westbrook spacing.

So, yes, Westbrook can kill offensive efficiency....but he can also go off. Hard to double cover Westbrook...
    while double covering Melo.....while double covering Paul George. Westbrook has made it to a finals
    before.....killing his team efficiency. This time they can exploit Curry/CP3 in the post.

I hope I’m wrong and the Rockets can make all adjustments and take it all.

#116 ApacheWarrior, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL

Come on man. The Thunder beat the odds to end up where they did. The Warriors predicted they'd lose so much the final weeks to fall out of the top 5 but then steal 3 games they should have lost down the stretch and end up on the Rockets side of the bracket? They were on the verge of the 3 seed before collapsing to the 7th and then lucked into the 4/5 situation. Don't do the 10 dimension chess stuff please. Get enough of that nonsense in D&D

Invisible Fan and ApacheWarrior like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sorry. Hope IMO wrong. I’ve always felt they played dumb this year. Just iso Melo vs PF. PG13 vs SF.
    I didn’t want to educate then on what they were doing wrong. They forced switches defensively. This
    is why PG13 went off.

Hopefully that was accidental.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not disputing that the Thunder may have figured things out. I've said they have a high ceiling and are a dangerous team. I'm only disputing that the Warriors were manipulating the seedings.

ApacheWarrior and Htownballer38 like this.
  20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Maybe so but if Paul G continue play like he did the other day. The Thunder will be a scary team to play. They look like a team that hit their stride at the right time. But we shall see.