1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith: Rockets not willing to GUT team for LeBron James

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Apr 16, 2018.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Seems like we've been saying that since we got Harden. I thought Chris Paul and Eric Gordon were supposed to be those guys, but not last night!

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Paul is one, Gordon just shy of being one. Right now I think we have a unique setup in that we have 1 super duper star, 1 star, 2 "1/2" stars (Gordon/Capela) and then a system that I count as a star. That's really good, but still shy of the Warriors in my mind. We have to be perfect to beat them.

Vivi likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree but they have to actually play like it right now. I'm worried that Paul and Gordon are going to shrink away from the expectations of being the #1 seed and defer everything to someone else, as seen last night. Those guys have to push the issue and get their shots. My memory of Paul is a drunk man throwing passes to the other team, and Gordon did nothing but take 3-pointers from half-court that went off the front of the iron. :p

I'm just rambling because man, that game was bad.

In regards to the OP - thank goodness. I've always been opposed to giving up massive value for a declining superstar.

saleem likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Go after Paul George and don't bother with Lebron. George is 27 and could be had for less plus we wouldn't be a total media circus the entire season. Lebron just can't help himself to undermine coaching staff and use the media to imply things to ownership groups. We won 65 games, we're alright.

Also this is going to sound hella weird, but my wife is big into astrological signs and pointed out how almost the entire Rockets team is comprised of Taurus' (CP3, Tucker, Gordon, Anderson, Clint, Dantoni) and Virgos (Harden, Nene, Luc). Those two signs apparently work hella good together. Now I can't un-see this information. It's really weird. George is another Taurus.

5. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

No Bron that for sure, but even CP3 was all season in bubble wrap, and what we got last night? I don't know but DM and TF is really getting a headache .

Stormy1234 likes this.
  6. justtxyank

Yeah it was bad. Gordon is just inconsistent. He needs his shot to fall.

Paul? Yikes. Let's be real, if Harden had that Paul game this board would be on fire right now and I don't mean that in the new age "lit" kind of way.

BallSoHarden, ElPigto and Vivi like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont think they necessarily have to play like it right now. It was game 1 of the playoffs. You go through the ups and downs of the playoffs. games aren't going to be pretty. I think too many people expect it to be completely easy. It's not going to be. The legit teams find a way to win in the end. It doesn't matter if you win by 1 point or 20. it counts as the same single W. Your hope is as the playoffs go along the consistency gets better and when you get towards the end, collectively the team is at its best.

The astros run was by no means easy. The ups and downs, emotions were crazy, players struggled. It's no different in this playoff run besides a different sport.

Rockets2K, seeingred and napalm06 like this.
  8. justtxyank

Vivi likes this.
  9. solid

solid Contributing Member

LBJ is a big crybaby that has screwed over several cities chasing rings. Don't want him. Give us K. Leonard. Talk about a lethal team!

Stormy1234 likes this.
  10. Mr. Space City

ryan anderson for lebron james and the nets pick.

11. Soneca

Soneca Member

Lebron appears to be making sure they won't lose to the Sixers (don't think they beat Raptors anyway) so he doesn't pull a cupcake and join the team who beat him. He's staying in the east, as we'll win it all this year and he won't join the champs. Next year we'll repeat beating him, Simmons and Embiid. I've seen the future, it's great for Rockets fans. Now let's come back and focus on beating the puppies, pretending we don't know what's going to happen.

IvanLCPM, RocketRoller and justtxyank like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I gave up on LeBron coming to Houston back in February.

He is not mentally tough enough. All his championships required all stars to help carry his @$$.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I love Bron as a player and as person (good husband, father and pretty good role model for the yuts especially the disadvantaged).

Still, I am shifting my focus to PG, who is younger, hungrier and would fit our team to a T. PG is a free agent so he can choose whatever team he decides. If I were Morey, I would do everything in my power (ask MVP and CP3 to try to persuade PG to join an elite team for a chance at multiple chips) to bring him here.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree with you here, to some extent. Nearly all teams require all stars to win championships. Two exceptions in recent memory, are our own 93-94 Houston Rockets and the Pistons who knocked Shaq, Kobe, Karl Malone and Gary Payton.

I do believe that the leader of the 2nd Miami Heat championship was once again Dwayne Wade. He had already won before Lebron.
    Bron learned a lot after that, and became the top player in Miami and in Cleveland too. I think one of Lebron's finest performance was in the 4-2 defeat against GS. GS would have been knocked out if Kyrie and Love were healthy for that series.

I do agree with you that Lebron would have to swallow his pride to come to Houston, and that isn't likely to occur. He is 33 yrs old now, CP3, Harden and Lebron can be a lethal combo along with Capela, but we do need Tucker, a healthy Luc ,maybe Trevor too along with them. It won't work cap wise unfortunately.

#54 saleem, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Kawhi is not playing right now despite his teammates begging him to. Nor is he with the team supporting them against GS.

saleem likes this.
  16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Passing on Lebron James would be stupid. You get him if you can.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Lebron is declining, but slowly. I do agree with everything else that you said.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sounds like you are agreeing with me despite saying you are disagreeing.

LeBron had to join D-Wade (Bosh at the same time). People tend not to remember Bosh was one of the best PF’s
    while with Toronto prior to going to Miami. 3 Stars.

Then LeBron goes back to Cleveland where Kyrie was the starting point guard for the East all star games.
    Of course all of that joining Cleveland was on condition of the Kevin Love trade to Cavs. 3 Stars (again)

Kyrie knee cap (patella tendon) gave out in 14/15. Just LeBron/Love.....lost
    Everyone healthy in 15/16. Bogut goes down in game 5 and Draymond suspended one game. 3 Stars .....win.
    Kyrie complains of knee back then. 3 Stars....but Durant added to Dray/Klay/Curry was too much.....lost.

LeBron 17/18. No Kyrie...No IT......No ?? Does he have 3 Stars this year? Is LeBron and Love enough?

He needs the Rockets more than the Rockets need him. Rockets have the Stars in the form of Harden/CP3/Capela.
    He could win with Houston.....but will he put his petty nonsense away? Nike vs Adidas is bs. CP3 has a Nike
    deal. CP3 doesn’t let that stop him from playing with Harden. Where is LeBron going to go? Sixers have stars
    ready in place. East is where he likes to be.

I can tell where LeBron won’t go.....a place with only one star. He knows he won’t win a championship.
    Only the Sixers have the money and the Stars currently.

gabion and D-rock like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Let's see how Morey and Harden feel if they get knocked out in round 2 or are outclassed by the Warriors in the WCF.

I am not saying either of these things will happen but it is really too early to know what the Rockets will or will not do.

Deuce, justtxyank, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Kawhi is a good guy, he may look disloyal in this situation but I bet you if we knew the whole story we would cut him slack. He is a great player.