1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBall Breakdown] Is Harden's stepback legal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tehG l i d e, Feb 3, 2018.

1. theimpossibles1

Hey yall, he has been doing it for a while now. He doesn't get called for traveling. This is a good thing. Why is this still being discussed? It's almost like some of you want it to be called a travel just so it supports your argument!

Stop beating a dead horse. Let a good thing be a good thing.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Looks like Ronnie Nunn has been countered here. Sorry Steve Kerr. Sorry haters.

Giannis and RockFanFirst like this.
  3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Great find. Nice.

I've always wondered how it is that everyone on Twitter that is a hater on this stepback is correct that he travels, yet every single official in the NBA (as well as the league office) is incorrect and never calls it a travel.

I hate that social media has given a megaphone to seemingly every moron in the world.

theimpossibles1 and Giannis like this.
  4. Giannis

Giannis Member

the lose a pivot rule applies to jump stops which i thought he did until i saw the slowed down version few times. so yeah it would have mattered then

agree with the rest

ooooaaaah! likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

@Remlap

6. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

It's a travel

7. Giannis

Giannis Member

lol that thread you created not going well? who tf is that guy?

i explained how it is not as well as durvasa and another guy here, haters wont explain how it is

8. today

today Contributing Member

Yes, this particular instance is a travel, but this is not his typical step-back move. This is an outlier that should have been called a travel.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol its not a travel. pivot foot has nothing to do with this move.i guess its hard for people to understand footwork bc the average person can't do it

is there a pivot foot when guys dribble and then take steps for a layup/dunk without dribbling?

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Do I want that called?? Absolutely not and not just because it is Harden. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's Rose doing the same move (only more fluidly one possession later. I believe in the "dance" where ball handlers and playmakers have a little leeway making us gasp in awe. Personally, I think people hovering over the rulebook and trying to turn basketball back into the 1932, actual-bucket-instead-of-a-modern-rim basketball can eat it. Also, he got away it. Bully.

That said...

Harden traveled. For you or anyone of us to deny that is disingenuous and a hit to credibility and I won't be a part of it. Playing it in slowmo just confirms what took me probably 10x views to see. His right foot slides in before the gather, if it were one continuous motion it would be clean. We're so used to the magic of James Harden seeing this took critical eyes and a slowmo view but the ref standing right there doesn't see it either so whatever. The gather is a fleeting moment too early and that is by all definitions a travel. Gather-step-stepback. 3 full steps.

11. today

today Contributing Member

I don't really care to debate it, I agree that his normal step back move is NOT a travel.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

perfectly legal. ive said all thats needed to be said on why its a not a travel. the people that dont understand footwork can carry on themselves and be confused bc it isn't something they can do

13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

If KAT can grab a rebound, walk 3 steps, hand the ball to the ref, take it back and throw an outlet without being a travel, this move is not a travel.

AXG, RockFanFirst and theimpossibles1 like this.
  14. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

I think it comes down to when he officially "gathered" the ball. Did he gather before the first little step? It's really hard to tell. It's almost impossible to tell unless we could see from straight on with slow-mo. You're basically saying he gathered before that step, when I don't think any of us really know.

Could go either way, refs shouldn't call it.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm actually pretty impressed Harden was able to figure this move out and perfectly do it. It seems like such an unnatural movement.

but yeah it's not travel

Giannis likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

it was really close, but I don't think it was a full gather

17. Giannis

Giannis Member

its literally just two steps going backwards rather than forward, why is that so hard to comprehend? you can even do it sideways lol.

18. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

bradley beal does this **** all the time, and i think i've actually seen him do it before harden made it "popular." derozan has recently adopted it, and bron as well (ugly version though)

yet people only wanna focus on harden

19. Nook

Nook Member

So, with so many things happening in this game......

Harden going nuclear..... Capela with a Wilt type first half........ Chris Paul turning into a puddle of mud..... the Rockets just not hitting 3's...... both teams confused on that second Harden free throw and looking bewildered...... Towns just not showing up....... Butler launching a TERRIBLE shot towards the end of the game......

With all that going on.... the discussion is again whether Harden traveled on one of 150 times the teams went down the court.

Rodman23 likes this.
  20. Giannis

Giannis Member

the nba has forgotten what isolation ball looks like

i dont blame kerr, he was nothing more than a catch and shoot guy with weak defense. he rode the likes of jordan and duncan to his rings