1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What homecourt advantage looks like

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Apr 14, 2018.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

2. cdrive

Sarcasm. Appreciate you for proving my point.

3. cdrive

Sarcasm. Appreciate you for proving my point.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Toyota Center is smack dab in the middle of Houston. You can’t get more centralized than that.

You sure everyone in Oakland goes to Warriors games? You don’t think San Franciscans make the journey over the bay to get to Oakland? That sounds like a hell of a longer drive.

Why do you think Oracle looks full? Where are they suppose to go other than their seats. I never been, but I really doubt they have a bar area behind the seats in the premium seating section of Oracle.

I’ve been harping on this, but wait until they move in their new building in San Francisco and watch all those wine and cheese eaters stay in the lounge area.

2 to 3 hours? How far do people live? Are they coming from Beaumont to watch the game? They coming from Austin? Didn’t know those cities were annexed.

DudeWah and theimpossibles1 like this.
  5. cdrive

Oh hey! Good morning, my dude!

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What point were you trying to prove?

cdrive likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ahhh the monthly Toyota Center attendance thread. You gotta love it Bill! :D

RocketWalta, cdrive and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

my sarcasm detection device is malfunctioning

cdrive likes this.
  9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Do you know how many the other teams have? Do you know to what kind of businesses or individuals? Do you know how many? For teams like LA and NY, in addition to business, they have celebrity star power or business star power, one area that Houston will forever be behind in. We simply cannot compare with Hollywood or NYC. For small market teams, you honestly think they have nearly the same number of corporate owned seats?

Again, let me spell it out for you. Houston doesn't have a fan based problem. We have a seat arrangement problem. Ever look at the upper bowl? That place is chock full of fans. The lower bowl's are only full around high profile games. Why is that? Either because tickets are priced out of one's budget or are unavailable. Considering how many fans would pay arm and leg for one, we are left with the latter.

Going back to the original point. Who the hell would the OP be trying to rally? Businesses? What is he going to do, jump on a radio station? Twitter shame them? Picket in front of their offices? It's just idiocy.

persian hoopa likes this.
  10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'll never forget going to Game 3 against the Thunder in 2013 (Harden's first year as a Rocket).

I was very disappointed in the amount of empty seats at the beginning of the game, but once the game got going you couldn't hear anything. The place was going completely insane. It was one of the best sporting events I have ever been to.

cdrive likes this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm selling my tickets cheaper than face value and they still aren't selling. I'm in section 124 selling at $140 a seat. People don't want to pay so what are we to do. If I was in town I'd be going.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Rockets are not a hot ticket in Houston. I was trying to take clients to the game and couldn't get anyone interested for free. FREE. They all said something like "Oh are they having a good year?"

Weird to me. I'd say of every 10 people I talk to I'm lucky to find one who cares about the Rockets.

burlesk likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. Rockets are a distant 3rd in this city.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, DISTANT 3rd. Even if the Rockets win the title it won't be anything like the love fest the Astros got.

I can be honest about what the problem is. It's a sport with very few white people and the black folks don't wear helmets. In football they wear helmets and even if the players are majority black you will still have a great player on the tem that's white. In basketball even if you have a white player he's going to be a role player, nothing more. The players express themselves more than any other sport. It makes it easy for white people to check out on the sport. I argue with people I work with all the time about whether the NBA is nothing but "thug ball" now.

tmactoyao, burlesk, cdrive and 2 others like this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There are plenty empty seats in upper deck too. Especially behind the baskets.

Houston doesn't care about the rockets.i don't think many people from clutch fans go to games. I never see people browsing the site on their phones and no one has come up to me when I am browsing the site on my phone at TC and say what's up.

Elie#17 likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, plenty of people from Clutchfans that live in the city just b**** about the prices. Reality is that prices will only keep increasing, so they either pay up or stop b****ing about our shitty HCA.

17. cdrive

It’s absolutely this, but people get blasted when they state the truth. Kudos to you for calling it correctly. “Houston is a football town” is code speak.

tmactoyao likes this.
  18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I don’t doubt that contributes in a small way, but I really don’t think it’s the driving factor like you say. During the championship runs in the 90’s, The Summit was absolutely rocking and the Rockets were the #1 team in town without question. I really don’t know what the issue/answer is now though to be honest. For me personally, price is what keeps me from going to more games.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering the Astros had never won a World Series in their 56 year existence, of course there was going to be a tremendous love fest.

Pretty sure it’s not a racial issue. The Rockets will get plenty of love when they win the championship.

20. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Are your clients originally from Houston? There’s a lot of transplant people that have moved here over the years. Just driving around town you see a bunch of different license plates other than Texas.