1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Should Grab Dez

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Coach E, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

No, we shouldn't.

Unless he's willing to come very cheap on a short-term deal. I doubt he's willing to do that.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree when it comes to the short term deal, but the Texans have the money, where else are they going to spend it?

If nothing else, picking up Dez would be a morale boost in the locker room as clearly most of the team thinks Dez would be a benefit to the team. Even if they don't know what they are talking about, I think the morale boost is valuable in and of itself.

Rodman23 likes this.
  3. Coach E

Coach E Member

I’m a little shocked at the negative outlook here on Dez. Take stock in the fact that our top WR was one of the first to reach out, even posting a Pic of Dez in Texan gear.

If that doesn’t reassure you of the type of talent Dez has, I don’t know what else would convince you.

Scheme, chemistry, usage, average Qb play, injuries. These are the things that slowed his production, not loss of talent or ability.

Our only worry would be attitude, he clearly is projecting this as motivation and he’s put it out to the public, at this point he has to work hard and grind to back his own comments up.

We have money, we need WR depth, this is a no brainer to at least reach out and try to set up a meeting

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The Texans need offensive lineman and speed on defense, not a washed up WR who thinks he's still a star.

htownrox1 likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The WR that the players want is available, O linemen and speed on defense is not available....so it's not really a solid reason.

joshuaao and Coach E like this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Give Watson another weapon and Pray the defense stays healthy.

You may not regret it.

7. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Why not take the best players available. We don't draft til 3rd round so what's the downside signing dez to a 1 or 2 yr deal.

Coach E and coachbadlee like this.
  8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Yeah totally.

If this was 2014.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

if we land Dez, do we move Fuller to slot? Is he already a slot receiver? A receiving core of Hopkins, Bryant, Fuller, and Ellington is a great start for a young QB. What else would we do with the money? Just save it for an OL next year?

coachbadlee likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Currently he is a star because he is all they have been talking about for the past two days. Teams are lining up to get him.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You could do a lot of different things. You could use Dez and Fuller on the outside and Nuk in the slot or really any combination of the 3 depending on the matchup you wanted to exploit.

12. Coach E

Coach E Member

There is no more upgrades available in FA.

This is the best FA available, he would be an impact player. We have cap space, what is the downside? He is still a very good, if not elite WR, with the right team.

Worst case, we cut him and lose money. McNair can handle it, he’s not hurting. Season Ticket prices went up again.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think people blow his whole persona/diva thing out of proportion. It just seems like it would be be a non-issue in Houston. I don't think Dez would be a problem in our locker room or even complain about touches. These guys are professionals and they all want to win. Maybe I'm looking at the situation too simply, but the Texans just want to win. If our top guys are tweeting out to him to come over here, I think our lockerroom can handle Dez just fine.

Scarface281 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's actually one of the good things that have happened the last few years. Pretty much everyone in the locker room that puts other BS ahead of the team and winning are gone. With that being the case, I think they might be able to deal with a guy like Dez because the locker room today is a LOT more stable now that certain "leaders" have been dumped.

Now that said, his first priority is staying in the NFC East, so if any of those teams want him, that's where he'll go. If not, I think the Texans have the next shot at him.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dez would be good in this offense health permitting and if he isn’t a locker room cancer. Wes walker would come through teaching him and the scheme here would get him open a ton. Plus better qb

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. steveng125

steveng125 Member

He can come in and take on wr 3 role. It's not like Watson just looks for the 1st or 2nd option. He will get his touches Watson is good at distributing the touches to whoever is getting open

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

who do you mean, specifically...Cushing?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Several players who were "leaders" on the team that gave up leading to a 2 win season despite being loaded with talent. I'm talking about all of the players who put off the field BS ahead of the game and the best interest of the franchise.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teams "start" 3 recievers (or 2 TE's but we all know the Texans don't have 2 starting quality TE's).

Hopkins missed 1 game.
    Fuller missed 6 games and is mildly an injury concern.
    Ellington missed 5 games and has always been injury prone.

Does anybody feel comfortable with Miller as effectively a "starter" for basically 3/4ths of the season? I want to like him, but I certainly don't feel like he's s guy you can count on at this point.

Texans need at least 1 more guy they can count on at WR (or a couple of high injury risk guys). Not sure if it is Dez , but they need someone. Bryant at least has a record of pretty good dependability in his column. Whoever they get doesnt need to be an all pro, but they need to be available to play, and not make make stupid mistakes.

Dez had 69 receptions last year. Compare with Texans' #'s 2 & 3 who had 29 & 28 receptions respectively. Maybe he's an unaffordable luxury, but that would be a big upgrade. God forbid, what happens if Hopkins ends up on IR in preseason. Do you feel good with Ellington and Fuller as your workhorse guys? I like both, but the idea of making either a workhorse #1 guy is kind of scary.

I say this probably too much, but don't worry about the starters on paper on the first week of OTA's, worry about the starting lineup on week 9 when 3 guys you don't expect are on IR, and 3 or 4 other key guys are week-to-week.

#59 Ottomaton, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Shark44 and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Are the Texans interested? Non of the Texans insiders are saying anything about it