1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hornets fire Steve Clifford

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 13, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

hakeem94 and Vivi like this.
  2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Isn't he the reason they brought Dwight to Charlotte?

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

4. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

They shouldnt have broken up their team that made it to the play offs. that was a pretty good team....Lin coming off the bench was good for them.

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Where will Dwight be traded? Back to Orlando to end his career where he started?

Where will Kemba be traded?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Hornets are a team that just drafts poorly.

Skipped on Kawhi, Skipped on Dame, actually that MKG selection is what really held him back. I mean, he's still 24 but I just don't see him being anything more than a Tony Allen/Roberson type at this point.

Also could have had Giannis or McCollum, but instead have Cody Zeller. Great drafting here Charlotte. You've passed on multiple Hall Of Famers despite constantly having good picks.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The Jeff Van Gundy and Steve Clifford duo are going to show up together on a sideline ranting and raving at their players trying to grind out 50 wins in the East next season. Maybe Jeff can talk Vogel and Schiting into joining him and they can just out "try" everyone.

hakeem94 and malakas like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

It won't happen because Jordan doesn't have the patience but the Hornets should just hire Sam Hinkie and let him do whatever he wants to do with that team. They have enough assets to make the process go quicker.

People forget that Hinkie didn't want Jaleel....... he wanted a 7'1" unicorn but ownership pushed hard for an established player.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Don't know why it took so long. The Hornets are like the Texans of the NBA.

Sajan, RasaqBoi and da_juice like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, too late for that because they hired Kupchak, who I feel would be great for a team that is established and needs to swing some trades to get over the hump. I'm not convinced he's any good at drafting, which is what they will need...

But I guess they do need to make some trades. They need to see what they can get for these busts like MKG and Zeller, and yes, trade Dwight Howard. Since he's an expiring it shouldn't be that hard.

I honestly don't think Hinkie is getting another job, which is unfortunate. The narrative that he lost games on purpose was so overwhelming that the NBA intervened. I think it's messed up because he didn't do anything that teams haven't done for years. Which is basically avoid veteran players, go young, and focus on the draft. This is basically what the Suns are doing now and what OKC did to get Westbrook, Harden, and Durant.

I mean, they are projected to have a top 3 pick now to add along with Jackson and Booker.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Clifford is a solid coach, franchises run poorly are not fixing any problems. My guess is either firesale or try again with Kenna, depends on how much he liked Steve and is open about wanting to be traded. Of course Mitch could just ship him out anyway, which is what I'm leaning towards.

13. malakas

malakas Member

He's the best coach fired this season by far. It won't be so easy for Charlotte to find another one of his caliber (middle of the pack with a clear cut identity).
    But perhaps it's better for him. He should take time off and look after his health.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this one hurts, I like Coach Cliff. I hope he lands another job quickly

WFU Guy likes this.
  15. Entropy

Entropy Member

Shame, he was good.

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

They shouldnt have overpaid Batum and Marvin Williams. They are solid players but not worth what they paid. If they kept Lin and Courtney Lee they would be way better off.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Michael Jordan as Owner, GM No Way I would ever want him running the Rockets. Derek Jeter same way with the Marlins. Just cheap Owners for a long time, Bad Drafting, Scouting etc.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hornets wish they won in a weak conference

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Makes sense. No improvement at all from last year, and new GM who wants his own guy.