1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Release Derrick Newton

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Apr 12, 2018.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I understand needing to cut him. The least they could do is pay him the bonus he was entitled to for being on the roster. He is losing 2 years of contract pay already, and did nothing but work hard every day to get back into shape. If he was a bad seed I would feel differently. Look how many games we played Watt for all his injuries the last couple years.

arkoe likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

That is the NFL.

This isn't unique to the Texans.

I don't like it either.

RasaqBoi and deb4rockets like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can agree with that, they should have cut him prior to April 1st and since they didn't, he should get the roster bonus.

Also, the difference with Watt is that he didn't have a career ending injury. Pretty much everyone knew that Derek Newton was done immediately after the severity of his injury was known. He essentially got paid for one more year than he earned.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Texans are likely projecting that Watt will return to being a NFL player.

I suspect that the Texans are projecting that Newton will not play in the NFL again.

RasaqBoi and csj like this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Watt seems to be a lot more injury prone now. I wouldn't cross my fingers on him playing all year. Huffing and puffing.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Feel bad for him, he had some solid years for us

10. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

but why not release him prior to April 1st- This team does things so weird man..

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Whether or not he is paid the roster bonus should be based purely on the timeline of events. Being a good/bad seed, how hard he has worked, how much he'll lose, etc...should have no bearing.

macho GRANDE and csj like this.
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Just pay the guy the $500K that you owe him, and move on. Injuries happen. They suck, but it's a part of the game. Why does everything with this team have to be so damn difficult?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly a blunder, but when you have a rookie GM in Bill O'Brien, these kinds of things will happen.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They may not have been able to. You can't cut an injured player until they are cleared. According to the article, he failed his March 23rd team physical but was cleared after getting a 2nd opinion. If they are using that 2nd opinion as the go ahead, it's seems that getting a 2nd opinion and being cleared actually hurt him (as far as getting paid).

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Was going to happen anyway...got paid two years for not playing. It’s a business. Everyone will get over it.

16. Fantasma Negro

You feel bad for him? This dude lived his dream. He went from 7th round pick to nfl starter out of the fuqing sunbelt conference. He got injured and was able to rehab on the team's dime and out of his 10 mil contract was only shorted 500,00. If he was responsible with his money he should at least have 5-7 mil in the bank. And he's only 30, he could still be on an nfl roster for two or three years. I wish him the best but I don't feel sorry for him at all

He failed a physical on March 26, I'm assuming they wanted to cut him and give him an injury settlement but he got a waiver to get a second opinion. The second doctor cleared him after April 1. Clearly a tactic from his agent

macho GRANDE and csj like this.
  17. hakimthdream02

what do yall think about rueben foster because he could be released... he would be nice>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Felony assault charge for beating a woman, felony possession of an assault weapon? Um, not only no, but H_ _ _ _ no.

hakimthdream02 likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Texans steady taking Ls this offseason. We'll soon forget how bad the Brock offseason was the way things are going. Rick Smith must be smiling wherever he is.

RasaqBoi and deb4rockets like this.