1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Has Bob reached Bud's status yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he had a legitimate cause, and was doing things to actually help people instead of merely trying to push ridiculous political narratives while being disrespectful to the country that provided him with a lifetime of privilege, then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately that's not the case.

I will however, consider that opinion for what it's worth.

2. Pete the Cheat

I don’t think the demographic who actively call into y’all shows move the needle much. The squeaky few like Bobby

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly.

The city refused to build a stadium for HIM... and him alone. They'd have rather lost an NFL team vs giving into his demands yet again.

That's a pretty tell-tale sign of true hatred. They were fortunate to get another team, which probably ended up costing even more in taxpayer dollars... but as long as Adams wasn't the owner, the city felt it was truly worth it.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Recency bias.

Also, do you know how hard it was to move the needle pre-internet era? Bud did that, in spades... for a guy who had such deep roots in the Houston community, he had absolutely no friends/partners who were willing to side with him when he needed help the most. That speaks volumes as to how one is truly perceived... forget about the fans turning on him, he had no friends in the city he called home.

BleedsRocketRed and macho GRANDE like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its also karma that at the time of his death, his franchise would have been worth 2-3x more in Houston vs what it was in Nashville.... as stadium deals became less important/impactful on a franchises' net worth compared to media and TV deals (which were heavily influenced based on the TV/radio market size).

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

The city was stupid and wrong for refusing to build us, the people of Houston, a stadium for football. The city played chicken with Adams and the city and the people of Houston lost.

The dome was a basball park being used for football and it was horrible for the fans. I know because I went to many football games in the dome. Sadly, the city had a love affair with that baseball park and made a bad decision by refusing to build a football stadium. I don't blame Adams for getting pissed and leaving. Football games shouldn't be played in baseball parks.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would argue that the people of Houston won. It allowed them to get rid of Bud Adams and get a better owner....for the city to turn on without cause.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's working on it.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then Adams should have not used the city of Houston as leverage for a Dome renovation less than 10 years prior. Those were HIS demands (renovate the dome, or else!) and the city obliged as they loved the team more than anything else.

If he had even a single friend, support, amongst the city leaders... maybe he would have been advised better. Adams always shot his mouth before he thought. He would have been an absolute PR nightmare in the internet era (and probably would have generated even more vitriol than he actually did).

When a b*stard of an owner can actually drive you to no longer hold on to a team.... THAT's how bad it can get.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nah. Most season ticket fans agree with Bob and would rather be done with the anthem protests.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Honest question -- how old are you?

12. ballgame

ballgame Member

By most, are you referring to Texan Fans who are white? Because, If you're referring to Texans fans who are Black, I strongly disagree. Keep in mind, I'm not trying to make this a Black or White issue, it's a Right or Wrong issue. YOU DON'T TAKE BACK AN APOLOGY, AFTER YOU HAVE APOLOGIZED.....THEN WHY APOLOGIZE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

You are probably not offended, nor people who fall on your side, because it does not apply to you. When McNair was referring to "Prisoners", anyone can see he was referring to Black Players kneeling in protest. Even if he meant it to towards NFL Employees, affiliates, subordinates or whomever, as he stated, from what everyone is saying the topic on the table at the time was about THE NFL PLAYERS KNEELING DURING THE ANTHEM, PERIOD!

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bud was a jerk who had good teams.

Big Bob is a jerk with crappy teams

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, there's so much wrong with that.

First of all, you are trying to make this a black or white issue, despite it being a right or wrong issue. You are wrong and you want to believe that all black people are wrong just like you are. That's simply not the case. There are wrong people of all races who don't understand idioms in order to feign outrage.

The simple fact is that not many people want stupid political BS on the field no matter who they are. The people who want SJW BS on the field are a tiny number of people that are largely irrelevant even among those who might otherwise agree with the politics behind it.

15. ballgame

ballgame Member

What person would divulge that on a site like this?

You would agree we're in a better place. I could argue we're in the same place. Sure Bud was an idiot by most standards and I didn't know him personally by any means but he brought in Warren Moon when it wasn't popular, he drafted Steve McNair and Vince Young. Faces of his franchise!

There was around here for years that McNair wouldn't EVER draft a Black QB. I seriously think he was backed into a corner and didn't have a choice at the time they drafted Deshaun. I hate to think that was the case but the more and more one thinks about it, what other choice did he have?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not sure, but most people are going to think you're in your late teens or early 20s making statements like that.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure you'd try to argue that, but you'd be wrong. Perhaps you really are just too young to know what the hell you are talking about.....also, do you really think that Bud Adams forcing Vince Young on the Titans was a good thing? LOL, he set his franchise back several years with that nonsense.

Also, your attempt to make McNair seem like a racist who wouldn't want a black QB is pretty stupid given that Watson wasn't even the first black QB in Texans franchise history....again maybe you are just too young to remember Tony Banks

[​IMG]

I get that people like you are primarily focused on the stupid narrative you want to push, but it's just not going to get you very far with those who know better.

Champs likes this.
  18. ballgame

ballgame Member

That's where you are WRONG! Kneeling on the field had nothing to do with politics....PEOPLE MADE IT ABOUT POLITICS. It was and always has been about bringing attention to young men being killed by police! People like yourself took it as Black Players are now disrespecting the flag.

The misunderstanding caused a divide in Politics, Conservatives against Liberals, Blacks against Whites, etc. It's not a Black or White issue BUT a Right or Wrong issue! And I think Bob McNair is wrong for what he said and then didn't say, when all he had to do was CLOSE HIS MOUTH.

#38 ballgame, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It had EVERYTHING to do with politics. The reason for Kap kneeling was to protest a black criminal armed with a stolen gun being shot by a black cop.....and Kap wanted to use that to push a political narrative.

Also, with the "disrespecting the flag" big, Kap himself admitted to it. He said that the reason he was doing it was to demonstrate his lack of pride in the flag and the country it represents. A public display of a lack of pride is the same thing as a public show of disrespect. Sorry, you just won't win this argument no matter what after the fact spin you quote. His initial words will always betray his real intent.

You are right though, this really isn't a black or white issue, it's a right or wrong issue and you are wrong. What Kap was doing was bringing politics into football in order to push a false narrative and it ended up hurting ratings and attendance. He was wrong to pull that stunt and there's really no 2 ways about it.

The league is better off with players who are there to play, not make asses of themselves trying to push political narratives on the field no matter what that narrative is. Do that BS on your time off.

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

You idiot! It's not the fact that Vince set the franchise back, it's the fact that Bud took a chance on him. THAT'S THE POINT, NOT HOW IT TURNED OUT! It took McNair nearly 20yrs. And Tony Banks was a backup, I'm talking about faces of their franchise...STARTING QBs! We've had many Black Backup QBs....Come on man, you're better than that!