1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nobody's talking about the other project we have,
    stats are similar
    he's foreign too

#701 tinman, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Baby Capela??? LOL, their games are very different. Hartenstein is taller but Capela is longer and plays above the rim. Comparison is silly.

Patience grasshopper, let the kids grow into the players they can be instead of pigeonholing them into what they are not.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm talking Hartenstein vs Zhou

I think they are about the same, I think Hartenstein might be a better shooter

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Who cares, right now they're both barely G League players. Both still evolving and neither plays like Capela, not even close.

Both are better jump shooters than Capela right now. Certainly better 3 pt shooters.

But that means nothing until their games mature and roles determined. If either still on team after next off season trade shenanigans anyway.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

I know they aren't anything like Cappella. I mean they aren't even Zan Tabak

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

this, it's kinda painful watching him play, His movements are really unatural, like he doesn't really know what to do with his body.

He's pretty decent as a rim protector though, the only time where he looks like he can be an NBA is when he goes for blocks.

kevtse, D-rock and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You should not be one to talk about big man evaluation bud

Remember Jared Uthofffff
    Remember Josh harrelsonnn
    Remember Kyle Witljer better than Ryan Anderson
    Or Thong maker

etc

8. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A 3 year project that is now a 2 year project.

DD

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For me, it's the 7-7 wingspan and nimble feet of Zhou that makes him a bit more interesting than Hartenstein, and the fact that Mike D'Antoni has said that "it's not a matter of If, it's a matter of when", which shows that the Rockets coaching staff has high hopes for Zhou already, and those guys see him every single day in practice and in the weight room.

I think Hartenstein needs to become a sort of Steven Adams-esque enforcer in order to make it in the NBA. A little bit worried about his defense as a 5.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You really cant compare them , they are so different ..... the only comparison is their both tall.

One is obviously a modern era stretch big (Zhou Chi) while the other is a more traditional big who can shoot from outside (Hartenstein).

The one thing that stands out about Hartenstein is how many easy shots he gets around the basket .... he doesn't dunk a whole lot of them but he gets a lot of easy ones without the benefit of a guard setting him up.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I see no extra love for Joe, I do see lots of extra hate for him though coming from you. If you are a REAL Rockets fan why are you taking a dump on Rockets projects? So what if they suck? They take minimum salary anyway, they dont affect title chances.

Dude is a project just like Hardenstein. Its too early to judge the two of them right now. As for why they take more attention than Taylor its because of the P word.

skroodup25 and RudyTBag like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

They all suck but you drag in Ryan Andersen
    Even though they aren’t on the same level

Oh really? Want to see Chee play now In the playoffs against real competition?
    No

He’s Hasheem Thabeet part Qi

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Anderson hurts the team by sucking and making 20M now and 21M later. Joe makes rookie minimum, you can afford to not play him because he doesn't take up capspace. Is that so hard to understand?

Both Anderson and Joe are on the sane level, you DON'T want to see them in the playoffs against real competition.

The difference is Anderson has already proven himself to be trash, 28% in the playoffs last year and got abused by LMA. Joe and Hardenstein can also turn out to be trash, but it is too soon to tell they are only in their rookie year.

Again, why is this simple logic so hard to understand? 20M vs rookie min, 29yr old vs 22 yr old? Race has nothing to do with this, being young, 7 ft tall and having potential do. TBH the only one concerned about Qi's race here is you. Why are you so hard on Qi when we've always had rookies who don't contribute in their first year? Budinger, Harrell, Capela...all these guys sucked their first year but nary a peep from you. Hmmmmm.......

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Anderson would be welcomed on any team in the playoffs now

Chee can’t shoot as good as Anderson
    Or even anyone else on the current roster

The simple logic is that in your dreams chee is replacing Anderson

Let’s make a $100 tip jar bet if you believe they are on the same level

I bet Anderson will have better playoff stats this year than Chee

Race? Anderson would win a race against Chee too

I was one of the first Clutchfans to see him play at summer league

Where were you?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I’d rather have Jeremy Lin than Chee. His shooting is not great but not abysmal like Chee

13% is bad

How come Yao never shot this bad. Like ever ?!!
    Race on that

#716 tinman, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes I remember all the players that sucked except that no one disguised their suckiness with the word potential

Unlike the Chee only fans here
    I wouldn’t start him over Ryan Anderson
    Or Jeremy Lin

For a guy who shoots lots of threes, joe is a terrible three point shooter

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

It is pretty obvious the Rockets mgt are targetting to make Joe Chee replace Anderson. That is why they picked him and making him shoot all those threes. Does that mean he is supposed to replace him now? I already said he is a long term project do you even know what long term means? Anderson is currently a bench PF why can't Joe reach that in 4 years? That is a very reasonable target for him and the org otherwise they wouldnt have taken him in the second round. Why waste a pick on someone who wont even be in the rotation?

They are on the same level in that they dont deserve to play in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if you shoot 28% or 12% tbose are all horrible.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Anderson is a better player and can make open 3s. And he will play in the playoffs.

You think they drafted Qi to replace Anderson?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's be honest here. He won't get much playing time as long as the Rockets want to seriously contend.

Developing him would need a bad or mediocre team to take him, there might be couple of teams who want to go through that project but I dun see the outcome.

The thing is the Rox will carry him for the time being and probably 2-3 years down the line. They will lowball him while he could get superstar money with a Chinese team.

He can either miraculously become a rim protector light or shoot 35-37% while averaging at least 3 threes a game within the 3 years.

That would be enough to keep him. It's just very tough to do so. Not imposssible for sure.