1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Spurs @ Rockets 3/12/2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 11, 2018.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear you loud and clear!!! I have that Bills/Oilers game embedded into my memory forever now. No game has haunted me like that to where I can't just forget about it. It's like one of those horrible tragedies that happen in America and you know exactly where you were, and what you were doing when it happened. For me unfortunately, I was working dispatch at Naval Air Station Chase Field, Beeville, Texas. As an Air Traffic Controller of a base that was closing I ended up in security after the airfield closed, after asking to delay my transfer back to San Diego until after the holidays.

So, being low man on the totem pole in a new division gave me the unfortunate duty of dispatcher that day. I was a HUGE Oilers fan too, and I'm guessing nobody would trade shifts with me so I could watch my game. Anyway, this was before mobile phones with internet, so I asked the guys in security to call me with updates on the score during the game. A few of them were Cowboys fans, and it looked like this might be the year for a Cowboys/Oilers Superbowl. So, after halftime, when they kept calling with updates on the score, I laughed at first when they teasingly said the Bills were coming back, confidently shrugging off their teasing. As more calls kept coming, I still laughed, but began to feel a little uneasy. The teasing continued, and then I became nervous, and with more calls came a big fear of the unimaginable happening. So, not only did I have to be at work during the game, but I had to stay there and take that bitter loss with Cowboys fans laughing at me and teasing me until the bitter end.

You see, that would have been the Texas Superbowl to remember. Cowboys and Oilers!!! I guess the upside to the story is that it would have probably been even more painful if the Cowboys had done that to us if we had actually made it to the Superbowl.

Jake Tower and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Winning the World Series was incredible, no question about that. My father and I went to the Colt 45's games while the Dome was a hole in the ground, so I certainly know it was a really long wait, but we got there. Dad had season tickets to the first few seasons of the Oilers, and I'm still mad at that dead S.O.B., Bud Adams, who's having a very warm and extended vacation, may he rot forever. The Rockets have 2 championships, and if the Basketball Gods smile upon us, if we contribute good juju towards the team, and if we don't get too cocky and brag about "going all the way" before we've done anything in the playoffs, then we might add something shiny to the team's history. The Texans? Who or what is that? Did what's his name, the owner, fear that the world wouldn't know where Houston is located? What an idiot. That's all I have to say about the Texans, except that I'm a Texan myself and a Houston native who's lived in Austin since 1980.

Yes, that game still hurts! We'll never be able to forget it. No one who watched what happened will ever be able to forget that terrible day.

Thank you for your service, deb4rockets! I very grateful that we have a superb volunteer military, and glad that you contributed to the finest bunch of men and women in the world, who are busy keeping us safe, while not being paid or given benefits that are anywhere near what they should have.

#522 Deckard, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    deb4rockets likes this.
  3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and deb4rockets like this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I appreciate those nice words. It means a lot.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Spurs sucketh!

Rockets 3 Spurs 0