1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[theScore] Why not Houston? The Rockets are built to hang with the Warriors and win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thought this was a good article with some good quotes. Here are a couple of them.

The Rockets are built to hang with the Warriors and win
    https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1501864

---
    "The thing that people don’t get a chance to see is how much he loves to hoop," Paul said of Harden. "There are some guys that are just talented, you know what I mean? But there’s a reason why he’s as good as he is. He works at it. The shots that he’s shooting, stepbacks, we expect to go in. Somebody else might think it’s a tough shot. Another thing - when he goes to the (free-throw) line, people get mad about it, but that’s a real skill," Paul stressed: "Like, I can’t do that."

---

"There are a lot of gritty guys on this team and a lot of hungry guys," said veteran swingman Joe Johnson, who signed with the Rockets last month after being traded by the Jazz and waived by the Kings. "But I know CP and James, just them two alone, are starving for a title. I know they’re going to be willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen."

---

"People really don't think that we can beat Golden State (in the playoffs)," Capela told theScore. "So right now, all we can do is just go out there every single night and go get those wins. And when the time comes, against Golden State, we will prove them wrong."
    ---

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I really like Capela's confidence and fire.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that’s some MAJOR media conspiracy going on there

alethios and Killatron 2000 like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Idk man his job is easy.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He should be confident. 35-2 now when he, CP3, and Harden play together.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Remember when experts scoffed at Morey for saying the Rockets closed the gap (start of season) on GSW.

I knew the Rockets closed the gap; but not by this much.

Capela is slightly better than I expected while T Black is slightly behind schedule from what I had hoped for.

Gerald Green has given the Rockets a special ingredient off the bench....similar to Vinny Johnson “Microwave”
    off the Pistons bench. Gerald the “Green Microwave” off the Rockets bench.

7. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets two loses were a combined 5 points.

8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Durant is a clown...he's one to talk about having an easy job after deliberately going to a team that can win a championship without him haha

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are now 23 and 2 in their last 25 games.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed it, Deuce. Nice find! Luck is underrated, as the quote below points out. I'm a little superstitious when it comes to the Rockets (maybe one or two people noticed), because you want to attract good luck, increase your mojo, and create a large reservoir of good juju. I'm doing my bit for the cause. Everyone else needs to, as well. Our confidence should be understated, in my opinion.

"If that's the case, the Rockets will still need their fair share of luck in a potential Western Conference finals showdown against the Warriors, who've accumulated more offensive talent than perhaps any team in history, leaving them a larger margin for error."

We should be cocky about our chances, but not to an extreme. Here's an example. @tocci_c started a thread entitled, "We will win NBA ************ this year!" (I couldn't type the "C" word). That's extreme, in my opinion, and invites a face full of bad luck. @mikol13, however, started my kind of optimistic thread with the title, "The Rockets are Pretty Good." Everyone see the difference? I hope so. Never assume. Never assume anything. On any given night, a lessor team can rise up and beat you. In a 7 game series, if that happens early, it can give the other team confidence and create frustration amongst our heroes. The writer of this column understands that, as the quote above illustrates.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Paul ain't kidding. He is shooting 48% on Step-Back threes ... that's amazing. Harden is improving something every year, by plain 'ole hard work from love for the game.

For those who missed it in the other thread:

Ramo$e, da_juice, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That's 48% for 1.44 points per possession. That's 1.44 points per possession on a shot that doesn't require actual running an offense that would work against any defense. What an incredible luxury.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No wonder Steve Kerr is shook!

Ramo$e, don grahamleone, Nook and 2 others like this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's PPS. We have no idea what the PPP is. Best we can do is PPP for ISOs, whereby Step Back is one of the options he goes to.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Joe Johnson and Mike D'Antoni both feel like this year's Rockets have a more potent offensive game than the peak Suns of the mid-2000s.

“By far,” Johnson told said on Sunday when asked if this was the best offense he's played in. “In my 17 seasons, by far.”

The Rockets lead the NBA in offensive efficiency in Chris Paul's first season playing with James Harden.

“With the ballhandlers we have with C.P. and James, I think the dynamic on this team is so much different,” Johnson said. “And we’re so much deeper. We have great ball movement — everybody gets a chance to touch it and feel like they’re a part of it.”

Said D’Antoni: “When one guy has to make all the plays all the time, it wears them out. That’s what happened to us in Phoenix with Steve, and it happened to James last year. You combine the two and it makes a big difference — I hope. We’ll see.”

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Exactly... those dudes can be beat.

Ramo$e likes this.
  18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Bit of semantics, but if you take a shot that's a full possession. I'm literally just looking at it that way. But yeah, there's a lot that happens before that and I'm being a bit simple, but the point remains that having that kind of efficiency on a shot that they can get almost every possession is just huge.

HakeemOnlyFan and ApacheWarrior like this.
  19. ballscientist1

sports Illustrated:

Ben Golliver:
    Well, I think we’ve always said Golden State has the highest ceiling of any team, right? And we would definitely agree that Golden State in sixth gear is significantly better than Houston in sixth gear. I’m not sure people are missing that.

Steph Curry can play this week, but he will not play next 30 days.

Are Rockets fans excited about this?

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think people jumped on the “history” bandwagon a little too much with gsw. They’re a great team and with a single mention to referee favor, they did some historical things. I think people just aren’t ready to see all the pillars they put that team on fall apart. Let’s be honest, how long will that team stay together? How long will 4 stars cover for average and below average rotation/role players?

burlesk likes this.