1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela. Will his soft play be a potential downfall during the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sluggo832004, Mar 10, 2018.

?

Will Capelas soft play be a downfall in the playoffs?

1. Capela isn't soft, you're soft for posting this.

27 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Capela is soft but we have enough talent to win a championship anyway.

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Capela will go beast mode when the playoffs hit.

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Bring back Mad Max and Ron Artest and cut Joe johnson.

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. sluggo832004

sluggo832004 Member

I cringe every time Capela gets bullied in the paint or out hustled for a rebound. Question is do you trust him to have some toughness and to not get punked in the playoffs? IWe all know the lobs and PnR is his bread and butter but do you trust him to get a critical offensive rebound or just put the ball in the basket in the paint and not drop the ball or have it snatched away from him?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Zaza

sluggo832004 likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Capela kept the Rockets in the game in the first. His offensive rebounding was good!

4. Nivos

Nivos Member

He dafinately got schooled yesterday but he showed great improvment this year in holding his own at the paint.
    To his defense he did suffer from pains in the calf and played 3 games on 4 nights on the road. Took a 50% effort day. understandble.

hakeem94, Vivi, Fyreball and 5 others like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Capela is the ideal center to beat the Warriors with - but against teams with physical/rebounding front-courts, he will be a weakness.

A bigger problem is Nene - he's toast at this point. We need to figure out why Brandan Wright died.

At the risk of being criticized, I think rotating a healthy Capela/Wright combo will be critical.

These lineups with LMAM or Tucker at the 5 have their place, but sometimes you just have to secure a defensive rebound or stop a layup drill - two things we couldn't do consistently against the Pelicans or Raptors.

Houstunna, Easy, Jake Tower and 2 others like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't mind the bullying when he plays the first half with springs on his shoes.

Thing that bugs me the most is how he still gets stripped of the ball when's he's deep in the post. Every year I think he needs more weight conditioning but at some point that works against his body type and game.

Might have to accept what he is and grow his pluses than focus on his inherent weakness against old school bigs.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I think his soft play will lead to his soft ass getting traded for DJ

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Don't know what game you saw, Capela was fine. As a team we struggle against bigs, mainly because Capela is the only one. PJ is like Hayes so can only do so much. They have 3-4 proper bigs.

cdrive and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He's not an elite athlete like D.Jordan but he's still pretty good. He will be fine.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. rocketsmetalspd

Capela will do fine. I want Wright to start getting back on the court and get ready for the playoffs. Don't know how serious his knee is but he will be key come playoff time IF healthy.

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This is a red herring thread. Him being "soft" isn't the problem. His lack of game situational awareness is the problem. He still isn't sharp on Defensive rotations, knowing when to pass in the post or when to bully, when he should go up strong and when he should use the baby hook. Lucky for us is his "playbook" is small and he is just 23 but he needs to progress fast if he is expected to be a dominant contributor this year.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Centers are overrated nowadays. They get reduced to 20 mins in the playoffs by the true contenders.
    Over-paid if you give them $20+ mil (just my opinion) a year.

Tucker will match mins of Draymond at center in a series vs one another. Or Luc MaM.

cbs1507 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Capela was pretty good this game .

I don't think he played as well as he could have , but I don't think you can place him in the top couple of reasons we lost .

1 ) poor 3 point shooting
    2) CP3 poor game
    3) JJ playing over GG

Were all bigger factors IMO

14. deb4rockets5

deb4rockets5 Member

Honestly, when Clint isn't in the game I cringe at our lack of defense at the rim. I worry more about the lack of playing a center at times, and Nene being a part-time player. What worries me most is when the intentional fouls start during playoffs and Clint goes to the line. None of our centers are good free throw shooters, but Nene is the best of them all. He might have to be used just to come in when the other teams get over the limit on fouls, and play every game, coming in for Clint in those situations. The Warriors will take advantage of this, as will other teams in desperation. Clint is below .600 now, and Black is just horrible. He isn't even at .500. It's like we didn't learn anything from Dwight, when he killed us by missing the free throws. What I would give to have a big threat who can make free throws with ease.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wins 17 in a row, best defense in the NBA, calls Clint Capela soft.

14.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per 36...

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Potentially but with Nene and Wright hopefully they can negate any Capela short comings

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Clutch Fans has lost its damn mind. See you after the next win, Chicken Littles!

Richie_Rich and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's as bad as the Astros thread as they marched towards the Word Series title.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yep. It blows my mind that first place isn't good enough for our fans because we didn't win our 18th in a row against a seriously amazing team. If we win it all, all we'll hear about is why we haven't done it twice.

Some of you guys really crack me up.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If they don't go 16-0 in the playoffs, this place will be insufferable.

Richie_Rich and Batman Jones like this.