1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I honestly think Altuve is the only current player Houston will resign in free agency:

McCann is old and declining. Resigning him would require him to be willing to shift to a backup role (and accept the associated pay cut).

Gattis is getting old and was never a very good defensive catcher. Combine that with the internal options for future DH and I don’t see a fit.

Gurriel is old. By the time his contract runs out he may not be any good.

Correa is on track to command the largest player contract in sports history. Houston can’t afford that.

Bregman is an option but he’s 5 years away from free agency so it’s not worth speculating.

Marwin will either match last season (in which case he will be expensive) or regress (in which case he will not be good). He may have a better chance of staying with Houston than most because it may just work out that Houston values him more than other teams; his friendship with Altuve helps.

Reddick will be old when his contract runs out and there are too many internal options on the way.

Springer is likely to be a very expensive player and Houston has internal options on the way. But next to Altuve he may have the best chance.

Marisnick will be looking for an everyday role. Stassi and Fisher are 6 years away from free agency.

Houston won’t give a big long contract to an aging pitcher, so that knocks out Keuchel and Verlander. They won’t give a big long contract to a pitcher with injury risk so that knocks out McCullers. I expect Morton to retire. If Cole has major success then Houston may try to resign him. McHugh and Peacock will be looking for more prominent roles/$ than Houston can offer. All the old bullpen guys (Smith, Rondon, Harris, Sipp) will be declining. Devenski and Giles will be interesting to watch but both may be likely to go to a team willing to pay them top closer dollars.

vince and Joe Joe like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly.

Look, I'm as excited about him as I've been for all the top promoted prospects (Correa, Bregman, Springer)... and in another time (2014, ahem), I'd be banging the drum for him to be on the opening day roster ad-nauseum.

This team doesn't necessarily have that sort of "problem". He'll get a chance to ease into the big leagues at age 20, starting around June/July of this year if everything continues to look good. But penciling him in at the moment to replace established vets doesn't make a lot of sense.

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Willing to bet he doesn't go that low on OPS... he will hit the career avg at the very least.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Correa is also revenue. He sells tickets. Astros will pay him 35-40 million a year, there will likely be OPT OUTS after certain years... with pay bumps every year. Maybe a big signing bonus.

Again, Altuve/Correa are a package deal. Best buds. I can't fathom the Astros FO letting him go and upsetting the entire fan base. Always a chance, but also just as likely Trout leaves. I can't fully agree with your sentiment.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Career OPS prior to last season was .680.

Tell you what, if Marwin has at least 300 plate appearances with the Astros in the 2018 regular season and an OPS of .738 or better (lifetime is .738 after last season) I’ll add more to my supporting status. If his OPS is .737 or less, you become a supporting member. Deal?

Rockets FTW likes this.
  6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

That's a deal. I hope Marwin has a career year, I know we all do.

bobrek likes this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Kyle Tucker is the future 1st baseman. He reminds me so much of Cody Bellinger. AJ Reed at best is DH..

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why is he the future 1B when he has always been an outfielder? He has the arm and athleticism to play a quality RF.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Overly pessimistic in my opinion. I believe they will offer Altuve and Correa as much as anybody else. Unless Correa is determined to play for the Yankees he is an Astro for life, so is Altuve. Bregman I believe will be re-signed as well. DK walks after this year. Verlander will probably retire after next year. If Cole and McCullers perform and stay healthy I believe the Astros will re-sign. Projected rotation in a few years: Cole, McCullers, Whitley, Martres, Armenteros. Closer: one of our other minor league studs or trade for another reasonable contract. This team is built to be ultra competitive for a decade. My only concern is catcher and is why I am a big proponent of going after Realmuto. Projected line-up 2020:

Springer CF
    Fisher Lf
    Altuve 2b
    Correa SS
    Tucker RF
    Bregman 3B
    Stassi C
    White 1B/DH Utility
    Alverez 1B

Bench: Gonzalez, Gurriel, Nova

Cole
    McCullers
    Whitley
    Matres
    Armenteros

Peacock
    Devinski
    Giles if not too expensive.
    Who knows on rest. Trust Luhow to build back up.

I believe either Davis or White will be traded this year. I believe Mchugh will be traded traded this year. Gonzalez will be re-signed if he is affordable which he probably will be because I think he will regress. I think Marisnick is gone this year or next.

Creepy Crawl and pw1993 like this.
  10. Grydian

Grydian Member

Leg speed, arm strength etc. Reddick is old and struggles to reach all the balls hit his way.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Oh really? Surprised they haven't started giving him reps at 1B yet...

At least the hot take alert is in mid-season form.

jev5555 and texans1095 like this.
  12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Wtf is leg speed?

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Agree with a lot of what you said but as another poster pointed out I think this is a bit pessimistic. I’d be willing to bet my house we resign more than just Altuve - almost certain one of Springer and Correa will resigned. Just think about the logic behind what you just said (only think Altuve will be resigned) - how are they going to get to $150M+ in payroll if they don’t resign anyone besides Altuve?

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They’re at $150M right now without any $150M+ contracts on their books.

Of course the new CBA in 2021 could dramatically change everything. A salary cap or max contract limitation would drastically increase the odds of Houston signing more members of their current core (namely Correa, Bregman, and McCullers). But for now I just don’t see how they could swing more than one gargantuan deal, and Altuve makes by far and away the most sense as the one guy they should retain, due to timing, his value on the field, his value to Houston relative to other teams, and his value off the field.

Another reason for my “pessimism” is that I think Houston will continue to have a productive farm, which lessens the need to retain players. Tucker has certainly made the potential loss of Springer in 3 years a little less scary. If Nova hits his ceiling he would make the prospect of losing Correa less disastrous, and so on. And that goes doubly for the pitching staff as I think Houston will be stellar at developing top pitchers from lesser heralded prospects.

I think Houston will do everything necessary to be a World Series favorite through 2021, at which point they will reassess and determine whether to resign guys or rebuild. But by then most of the guys on the current roster will be gone. 2021 projection:

C TBD (2nd tier free agent or trade acquisition)
    1B Reed (or Davis, etc.)
    2B Altuve (re-signed as free agent)
    SS Correa
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    CF TBD (2nd tier free agent or trade acquisition)
    LF Fisher
    DH Alvarez
    Bench: TBD utility (maybe Marwin), Stassi, Straw

Rotation: Whitley, McCullers, Martes, Bukauskas, TBD
    Bullpen: 3-4 arms currently on the farm, 2-3 free agents, Devenski, Giles

#94 Snake Diggit, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

By the time Correa is a FA, correct me if I’m wrong but won’t Gurriel, McCann, Verlander and several others be “off the books”?

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes. Not sure your point, but those guys really aren’t making that much. Houston is only paying $20M for Verlander. NY is covering some of McCanns deal and Gurriel is only making $12M (and his salary declines each year moving forward). There are a lot of players coming off the books between now and then. But those guys will need to be replaced, some via free agency. And the current guys on minimum deals will be more expensive via arbitration. So while there will be some money available (which is why I’m optimistic about them keeping Tuve) I just don’t think they will have the money to keep 2+ guys each making $35M+/yr.

I hope I’m wrong and any number of things happens:

the CBA implements changes that make it easier for mid-tier payroll teams to retain their free agent stars

The free agent market continues to fall short of player expectations so more guys re-sign to avoid the disappointment

Houston can sustain a higher payroll than I am estimating

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

To prolong his career and prevent injury. Like Biggio from catcher to 2B.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Before you crown AJ Reed the next starting 1B, it would be nice if he could get a hit in spring training first.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Shouldn't Springer be moved to 1B before Tucker, then?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd move Verlander to first to prolong his career.... pitchers get arm trouble, you know?

Creepy Crawl likes this.