1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All time all Rockets team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 1, 2018.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Wow, how many centers are we going to play at one time? I know the twin towers works because it got us to a finals back when other franchises had dynasties, but hey you know better than most. I think RS was better (well rounded player) than Dream back then, too. But that is just my opinion.

PS didn’t see your starting 5. Post so we can talk more (it’s harder than it seems).

D-rock likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D-rock likes this.
  3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Harden
    Paul
    Murphy
    Drexler
    McGrady
    Horry
    Dream
    Moses
    Yao
    Elvin
    Ralph
    Otis

You can go big, strong, long, small, small long, quick, inside, outside, both, everything, or whatever. It would all be kick-ass.

Poor Yao—second best All-time Third String Franchise Center.

(No Barkley. Not a Rocket.)

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Gorki

Gorki Member

I would put Royce White as a star, then write other names

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

First Team:
    G: Calvin Murphy
    G: James Harden
    FC: Rudy Tomjanovich
    FC: Hakeem Olajuwon
    FC: Moses Malone

Second Team:
    G: Steve Francis
    G: Clyde Drexler
    FC: Robert Reid
    FC: Otis Thorpe
    FC: Yao Ming

Third Team:
    G: Kenny Smith
    G: Mike Newlin/Cuttino Mobley (can't decide)
    FC: Tracy McGrady
    FC: Rodney McCray
    FC: Elvin Hayes

Feel like this encapsulates Rockets history... from the 70s till now. I know some favorites got left off and CP3 hasn't even been here a full season yet. Part of me feels like Drexler didn't have the longevity as some others but he did help bring home a title as the #2 guy and has his jersey retired.

Thoughts?

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I would never forget our 2 championships because I was there painting car windows and at Richmond Ave., but I would put D'Antoni over Rudy T to coach this team.

7. fattz

fattz Member

I like it but the twin towers changed the league in it’s time. Ralph Sampson before his injury was the best player on those teams (yes better & higher BB IQ than the hot headed at the time Akeem) so he is a must on any Rocket all time list. Another change would be John Lucus or even Sam Cassell over Kenny Smith, just my opinion. Happy to see McCray, Mobley, the shark and Hayes. Overall it’s good because we are blessed to have so many wonderful players over the years. The chicken man, Reed, and Horry make a list some where, too. Plus the rest of the cocaine kids => that team was so talented. It’s hard to edit with so many worthy players.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If you're going for Rockets longevity, which this list seems to be including with Newlin, then you'd have to consider Allen Leavell, who played more years for the team than anyone not named Hakeem, Calvin, or Rudy.

I'd put him in over Kenny Smith, who fell off a cliff at age 30. Even before that, he'd lost his position in the closing lineup to not just Cassell but to Scott Brooks before him. If you prefer to replace him with another early 90s player, and if Cassell didn't play for the team long enough to meet your criteria, I'd pick Mad Max over Kenny. Max drew the toughest defensive assignment and hit crazy shots.

fattz and tinman like this.
  9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

bobby brown / matt malooney / sergio llull
    luther heard / vspan / nick johnson
    corey brewer / jordan hamilton
    royce white / clarence weatherspoon
    jake tsakalidis / maurice taylor

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's all about positionless basketball now. Just put the best players who can also play complimentary ball:

Dream, Chairman of the Boards, Beard, Glide, CP3

Length, athleticism, power, iso scoring, post dominance, steals, rebounds, blocks - 4 rings, 3 MVP (including Harden), 5 HOFers (including Harden & Paul) and a point gawd.

And we rave about the insane depth on current roster but Rockets also have insane depth on All Rockets team:

C: Yao, Dwight, Dikembe
    PF: Elvin, Chuck, Horry, Ralph, Rudy, OT
    SF: Tracy, Reid, Ariza, Battier, Artest, Elie
    SG: Max, Kmart, Cat
    PG: Calvin, Francis, Sam, Kenny

#50 D-rock, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  11. ABforPresident

Rafer Alston
    Von Wafer
    Bobby Sura
    Carl Landry