1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Giles may throw hard but his fastball is just flat. No one swings through it. Wags always blew it past people. I am by no means a pitching expert. But seems to me if your throw 100 you have an arm. Is it just a matter of a coach showing you how to use it?

DuBose likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wags did not always blow it past people.... and Giles is only as good as his slider.

Lastly, MLB hitters can hit all sorts of 100+ mph fastballs... just look at what the Astros did with Chapman. Its off-speed deception mixed with perfect location that gets batters out.

Personally, I'd take 92-95 on the corners over 100+ that can't be controlled.

3. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Eh maybe I got spoiled many years ago when I would see Mike Scott and Nolan Ryan's four seam go above the bat. Of course with Nolan's circle and Scott's Split finger I guess that made it a bit easier to get the heat past a hitter.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Coach can show a pitcher how to throw a pitch well, but some pitchers can get better spin than others on particular pitches.

5. Buck Turgidson

It can also be a mental thing, ala Wagner and his slider.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

No. Some people just have fastballs that play down. If it were magically fixable then people throwing 100mph would be unhittable but people hit home runs off 100+ mph heat not infrequently these days.

Among recent and former Astros: Mike Foltynewicz had a pretty flat FB that got lit up when he was a rookie. Jandel Gustave threw straight 100mph bullets before his TJ surgery.

Spin rate, natural sink or cutting motion, arm slot, and release point all make a significant difference in a) whether the hitter picks up on it being a FB and b) whether it gets well struck.

DuBose likes this.
  7. pw1993

pw1993 Member

I'm interested to see what Brendan McCurry brings to ST this month. He had closer-type stuff in A+ and AA ball and I've wondered whether he isn't the eventual replacement for Giles at closer. I haven't been able to find current velo statistics for McCurry so we'll see where his FB is at this week.

They say McCurry uses several different arm angles for the same pitch, just to confuse hitters. This sounds pretty bizarre to me but if it works, why not.

McCurry was nearly unhittable for about 6 weeks last year at Fresno. If he can dominate this season then the bullpen situation for 2019-2022 will look a little more secure.

8. alethios

alethios Member

The Mets game is not helping his cause.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you watch the game? Did you see the misplays by the third basemen? He essentially gave the Mets five outs in that inning.

10. pw1993

pw1993 Member

McCurry was considered a future closer when he first got into the minor leagues. He's not a flamethrower, but I can certainly see some 8th/9th inning potential in him.

That is if the organization gets to a point where it can no longer deal with Giles.

But I don't know, sub-3.00 ERA and FIP go a long way in the MLB. I wouldn't cut ties with Giles yet.

Joshfast likes this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

still don't

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Giles gilesing again

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Here's to hoping the Orioles have a terrible first half and start tearing down by trading Machado. Then Britton comes back strong and we get him at the deadline.

14. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Jesus..... no

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

100 Miles Giles

100-mile exit-velocity

rockets1995 and DoitDickau like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I ****ing hate him. Please don’t be give me advanced metrics.

rockets1995, J.R. and donkeypunch like this.
  17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

His ability to make a nonsave situation a save situation is legendary!

MadMax and J.R. like this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

lelz. This thread is still a thing? Title should be changed to "Ken Giles cant be trusted" or "Do you trust ken giles? If you do, youre a fool"

Nook, Invisible Fan and MadMax like this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you excuse or like this guy we probably can’t be friends. I’m convinced he’s a Rangers secret agent trying to undermine our efforts.

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Flat Fastball 98 mph, the hitters are reacting like its 90 mph pitch, Giles has not made any improvements whatsoever. Consistently NOT hitting both corners of the strike zone. Not adding any other pitches, Curveball, Changeup. Astros must trade him for prospects. Go after the bottom teams closers. Pirates Felipe Rivero, Phillies Hector Neris, We need to find a young closer with huge upside. Edwin Diaz of Seattle, Roberto Osuna of Toronto I wish was available. Osuna made enemies with Correa. Correa hit a grounder to Osuna, Osuna held onto the ball for awhile to make Correa run. Correa got his revenge next game hitting a home run. I really hope ou prospect closers get called up quickly. Such a shaky pitcher in Giles. Hinch is not confident with Giles anymore, Harris was warming up quickly.

Kim likes this.