1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

CP3/Beard backcourt.....best of all time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 20, 2018.

?

Is the backcourt of James/ CP3, the greatest of all time?

1. Yes

2. No

3. " I need to see the playoffs first"

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It figured to be, and is...

2. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

1st!
    Edit-> Once Harden stops pouting when CP3 takes control of the ball, and actually plays off the ball like Paul does then we can reasonably compare them with the best of them.

Until then, the playoffs are going to be really interesting in forcing the Rockets to adjust to the lack of foul calls.

In the regular season, I would definitely agree with you, they can combine to be one of the best back court. Also it's only been almost one season...

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Although the depth of Jet/Cassell/Elie/Max was very good.

Plowman likes this.
  4. hakeemthagreat

I think you have to consider them as the goat backcourt combo. Ofcourse it's early. But they compliment each other so well it's imaginable. I think CP allows Harden to be a natural scorer, which is why he's leading the league in points per game now. Harden can literally score 35 a game if he wanted too

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Pretty damn good. All-time? They haven’t won anything yet.

I think the better question would be is if they’re the most talented backcourt of all time. Which it’s still early but I think you could make that argument.

Unless I’m miss understanding you and you’re talking about the greatest backcourt of all time for just a season.

#5 tmoney1101, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    c1utchfan925 likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They're up there, but "greatest" to me means they need to win a championship or at the very least play in the Finals.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

30-3 when Harden and CP3 play, There is no backcourt in league history that you can claim is better than them.

Also Harden has seemingly turned much of his 3 FT fouls into 4 point plays, best TS% and best scoring output of his career on his lowest FT rate since his rookie year.

Of course, if if the postseason comes around and Harden and CP3 get hacked on every possession and the refs swallow their whistles, then we could lose to anybody because defense is a lot easier to play when you can foul.

skroodup25, D-rock, DonKnock and 4 others like this.
  8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Definitely in the regular season.

Voted "need to see playoffs", so time will tell.

9. ballscientist1

Curry and Thompson won 73 games in a season. They are not a top 5 in history.

they have better achievement than Beard/paul?

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

When does he do this? Why would Harden not play to his strengths (control of the ball) and play more off the ball? There is a reason why its working as well as it is right now.

c1utchfan925 likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They're the best backcourt in the league by far.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm not sure, but I do know that they are the top ISO back court of all time.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its their first season together so of course the didnt have any opportunity for team success but based on the sample we have cp3 and beard are better plus they are better in vacuum because they both are transcendental players and both are better than either klay or curry so they are naturally better together

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm not capable of coming to my own conclusions so I don't know what to think about this until I hear what Max Kellerman, Skip Bayless and Brian Scalabrine think.

D-rock, tinman and Killatron 2000 like this.
  15. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

If you're talking about in Rockets history then maybe. But in NBA history, no for now. Even if they win a championship this year, theres been many other more accomplished backcourt duos. In the game right now this year though, they are the best backcourt duo.

16. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Next time you watch a Rockets game, watch and see what Harden does when Paul is handling the ball, you'll see Harden stop moving and stay on the wings side of the 3pt line. Look Harden's game works in the regular season, when he tries to draw fouls in the play offs, the media will drill the refs for bailing him out and they'll in turn get told to swallow their whistles. Harden's able to draw fouls like Durant is able to, he's crafty as heck BUT when it came time for the play offs he couldn't produce the same because the refs didn't call squat.

We have a darn great PG in Paul too so having Harden be a great spot up shooter will only get Harden opportunities to shoot 3's. Win win situation, not saying he needs always play off the ball because that'd take away from is best skill set.

17. AFS

AFS Member

What are 5 backcourts in history that have been better than Curry and Thompson?

18. ballscientist1

1991 Michael Jordan and John Paxson are 2 times better than Beard/Paul.

1996 Michael Jordan/Tony Kukoc are 2 times better than Beard/Paul.

Some guys are too young, know nothing about 1989-1992 Jordan.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

has Toni Kukoc played a guard?

20. ballscientist1

yes, he is

this is what I feel

1989- 1992 Michael Jordan is 100 times better than 2015-2018 Harden.

Everyone here will say I hate Harden.