1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cord cutters thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 19, 2018.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Haven’t had cable for several years now.

I have a few fire sticks, fire tv, and a couple raspberry pi’s. I’ve been using Kodi since before it was mainstream.

My brother has Netflix, I have prime so we just share each other’s accounts. As far as network shows and movies I watch all of that on Kodi. Local tv is free you just need an antenna.

And for Rockets and any other sporting event that doesn’t come on a service I have already, I use Reddit streams. Reddit streams are pretty damn reliable.

Anyways, it makes 0 sense for me to have cable.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah I pay a little more than that for both cable and internet.

My phone bill pays for my Netflix account.

I just don’t see the appeal behind cord cutting right now. You don’t save that much (relatively speaking) vs everything you lose.

I won’t be cord cutting until a service comes out that lets you pay per channel and doesn’t exclude anything (aside from premium channels like HBO).

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What do you lose?

body slam likes this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I was a cord cutter and only have cable now because my girlfriend wants it.

But there are definitely ways to get anything you want as long as you got internet.

There is a site, I can’t remember right now the name, that is for troops overseas to get free access to local channels like abc, USA, fox and others.

As for sporting events, you can get any rockets game, Astros game, Texans game or any sporting game easily through reddit typically in hd. Just google nba streams Reddit and find he game you want they have them all every team and every game. Same goes for mlb nfl nhl mls whatever.

You can even stream ppv events like ufc and wwe wrestling events through reddit as well.

Kissanime dot com has every single anime episode in archives. Crunchy roll is also a good app for anime.

Kisscartoon dot com has every single cartoon episode in archives. Including Rick and morty or South Park.

Fmovief dot net has all the newest released movies that are out in theatres and a huge archive of old movies. I actually just watched I tonya last night on this site.

And of course there is also kodi

Houstunna, tmoney1101 and ohmarioyes like this.
  5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You’re joking right?

About 100 channels in HD that I wouldn’t get through alternative avenues.

Especially live media which I’d have to jump through hoops to be able to view after losing cable.

I don’t feel like spending time casting from r/nbastreams to watch rockets games when I could just turn the tv on.

Or with Astros games.

Same thing with news channels.

Maybe if I lived in another city and didn’t have blackout restrictions on sports. Right now it’s not worth it.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

currently use Direct TV Now, on their $35 promotion when they started and haven't looked back.

For those who are somewhat tech savvy, I'd look into IPTV service, its pretty damn awesome and easy to use. You get pretty much every channel, even some foreign ones, along with the sports packages. I'm currently with a service at the moment where I paid $75 for 6 months, they're others are are even cheaper. This is my way of getting to watch Rockets games

7. theimpossibles1

Without cable/dvr, how can I get home at 10pm on a game day, start the HD rox/astros game and watch it at my liesure complete with FF/Rewind, commercial free?

If anyone had the solution for that it would be bye-bye cable.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

There are definitely places to download entire games high quality as soon as the game ends but that’s something I don’t strive for so I can’t give you that answer. Sorry mate

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  9. Purvis's shorts

for those that have Playstation Vue, how does the DVR work?

Can you DVR a show, start the show whenever you want, and forward through the commercials? I ask b/c if a show starts at 9, I always start it at 9:20 and fwd thru the commercials; was wondering if you can do that with vue

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

3 months into DirectvNow and ATT Fiber. Loving the combination. $80 a month for gigabit internet....and Dtvnow.

I don't watch a lot of tv, but it's nice to be able to for much less than Xfinity was.

I got tired of casting, so I grabbed a cheap MiBox and now we have a remote for it. (android tv)

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Absolutely. I rarely watch commercials any more. Only problem is after a while, taped shows go into on demand mode and then you usually can't forward past the commercials.

12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I heard that Kodi doesn’t work on new fire sticks I’m not sure if that’s true or not though. That’s been my only hesitation to buy one. Are the reddit streams hd?

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I was genuinely curious. Most of what you listed doesn't appeal to me, so its not something I look into. For big live events I have an antenna. I live out of market, so I have league pass online anyway to watch the Rockets. EPL is on the antenna and if I really want to watch a texans game I can watch on reddit, takes about 5 second to find. And I don't watch baseball. I only have an old 19 inch tv anyway, its easier for me to just use my laptop for most things. Any tv show I like I can just get on Hulu or Netflix or Amazon, the 100+ channels just doesn't matter to me.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I see.

It’s a convenience factor thing as well. It’s inefficient to have to go through separate portals to watch everything when there’s a centralized location.

But to my earlier point, you live out of market. If I did as well, I’d probably be more likely to consider this. It makes sense.

I agree with what you’re saying.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yep the Reddit streams are HD.

And Kodi still works on the fire sticks. You just need someone to set it up who has kept up with the changing trends or knows how to find the info online and apply it.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Awesome, thanks for the info.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Cable does offer convenience. But the premium is not worth the convenience for me. I'd pay for it again if they halved the price.

18. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I currently use Sling TV with the $20 package. That's enough to watch the channel I mostly watch, TNT, CNN, ESPN.

And use my antenna to watch local channel.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What internet provider to you pair this with?

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

For those using Kodi:

KingCheetah likes this.