1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Fertitta is willing to pay luxury tax...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkim1984, Feb 17, 2018.

1. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Does anyone know what that would mean in ultimate payroll?

If spotrac is correct and each incremental $5mm over tax threshold is penalized by a progressive scale, then adding LBJ could make our total payroll before luxury tax at $186mm. That's $63mm over luxury tax. That's roughly the same situation as Cavs if they resign LBJ.

I know there are nuances specific to each team position and we're not tax repeaters, but I'm looking for something as quick and dirty as espn analyzed.

http://rocketswire.usatoday.com/201...s-tilman-fertitta-luxury-tax-title-contender/
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22420673/cavaliers-face-300-million-dollar-future-espn
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/2018/
    https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1472192
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/lebron-james-2257/cash-earnings/

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's worry about 2018 season first. If Houston wins it all without LBJ, highly unlikely Lebron joins the Rockets.

3. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Wait, this is an edit. Why wouldn't LBJ join us if we won?

RyanB likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because that would make him worse than KD.

s3ts, Lawlruschang, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  5. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

We would love him, and he was already negatively affected by his Miami choice. He doesn't care what people think when it comes to his freedom of choice.

We should pick him up even if we win the 'ship and have to pay luxury tax (unless that tax puts economical limits on Fertitta or the org in general), but the Cavs have been doing that for a while now so it's likely that at least the org can handle it.

Super teams are likely going to be the new thing for the near term and middle term. At least until a phenom enters the league and single handedly takes down a super team, restoring the appeal of being a team savior.

RyanB likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is the narrative going around because LeBron is so sensitive to his brand. Well, he is overly sensitive to any criticism actually.

NJRockFan and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

So because he's worried about his brand, he will pass on a championship team that comes calling even in the face of an intact Warriors team?

His other options aren't very good, and he's flown in the face of public criticism plenty of times. Arguing with fans and critics over losses and decisions probably pales in comparison to stepping on the court with two HOFs, a young Cap, and a MDA offense that even CP3 says is super easy and fun.

roslolian and BallSoHarden like this.
  8. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I mean I get your point, but if you don't wanna participate in the exercise, then don't. I'm trying to gather information here from someone who is better familiarized with the salary cap system.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Apologies if you don't like the input. But if you search Bimathug, you'll see he's already dissected this scenario multiple times.

It will take the near decimation of the roster to fit LeBron's salary and not lose Paul or Clint.

Naismith likes this.
  10. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

It's not that I don't like it. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense from the LBJ perspective.

Also, I'm asking about luxury tax consequences. If Bima has covered it and the result is a roster decimation, then those calcs are likely reflecting some kind of luxury tax limit or minimization. I want to know what the situation would look like if we kept most of the pieces like that ESPN analysis undertook. That's the insight I'm looking for, the ultimate price to pay for the wet dream team.

No offense intended from here though.

D-rock likes this.
  11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the same kd who was the 2nd best player in th eleague and joined a historic big 3 that has a historic hof'er just to beat the best player in the league?
    that kd?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The KD who was a failure until he hopped on the coattails of the team that just broke the record for most wins in a season forever sealing his reputation as a beta b****. Yeah, that KD.

13. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

KD didn’t win bc Westbrook was an inefficiency machine.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  14. ballscientist1

Center piece: please read carefully.
    “I could put the greatest team together in the world, and (the team) could become unhealthy and somebody else is healthy, and we lose,” Fertitta continued. “I think that you always have to be realistic enough that - however we plan things, that doesn't mean it's going to happen the way we want it to happen. And I can go put a team together (of stars), and be paying $150 million or $200 million in luxury tax, and a couple of guys get injured and I get my ass whipped.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ships-no-problem-paying-luxury-tax/344500002/

My understanding: Fertitta is more conservative than any of the nba owners.

Exiled, saleem and bilaal14 like this.
  15. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

What pt are you making here?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, that was part of it, he also didn't win because despite being a pretty good player, Durant isn't ever going to be the primary player on a championship team. He can join a championship team, and they'll still be good, but he can't be the centerpiece of a championship team like Lebron always has been.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's simply not true - Assuming Lebron were to opt in and force a trade. All it takes to match salaries is Ryno and EG or Ryno and Tucker while Ariza and CP3 are free agents and retained via Bird Rights , Capela is matched and Luc gets the MLE. Basically you only have to replace ONE rotation guy (Tucker or EG).

18. ballscientist1

Tilman is realistic enough and very conservative (exactly same as my character)

In one season, 180 million salary and tax (140 million base salary) is more likely than $450 million (186 million base salary)

Believe me, money matters for players and his agents. Most agents want the players to get overpay contracts.

Klay Thompson requested pay cut now. My projection is 5 years 15 million pay cut. He will get 5 years 158 million contract, starting at 27 million in 2019-2020 season.

In my opinion, Warriors will dump both Iggy and Livingston contracts. Experts from entire world predict that Warriors will keep Iggy and Livingston, let Klay go for nothing.

#18 ballscientist1, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  19. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

No it wouldn’t. It would taint his legacy a bit for joining a championship squad...BUT the big difference is:

1) He didn’t do it in his prime
    2) He didn’t punk out and join a historic team right after losing a series to them
    3) He’s not desperately joining a champ squad to chase his first ring. Let’s not forget he already colluded with prime hall of famers in Miami.

All that said, if the Rockets win the ring this year, I personally prefer NOT to add/sign LeBron. I’m likely in the minority here but I’d rather the Rockets bolster their lineup for next year a lot like how they’ve been doing it this season.

D-rock and dkim1984 like this.
  20. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Would you please provide your math? As the ESPN article, which I trust more than you, doesn't reflect that at all. We have no penalty for being a multiple time tax payer. So please, put down your math.

If you can prove it, hey that's what I'm looking for and a job well done to you. Otherwise, guessing does not make you conservative. It makes you a wild west gunman and please don't ever go into investing.