1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recent Additions: Getting an early start on 2018 Free Agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No question the Rockets are loading up for a title run. And everything helps on the margins. A deeper bench helps mitigate injury and rest issues. Rockets didn't have Ariza and Gordon vs Kings, that's ok, they have Joe, Gerald etc.

But aside from THIS season, I feel the Rockets can look at these additions as 1st steps to 2018 Free Agency additions.

VET MINIMUM CONTRACTS.

- Luc Mbah a Moute
    - Gerald Green
    - Joe Johnson
    - Brandan Wright

This summer the Rockets won't have cap room and only the MLE to spend. Assuming things go well with these guys, can they bring them back? They might.

Getting these guys NOW and into the "team culture and brotherhood" could be a nice first step to keeping them for the next season(s). It sure sounds like they are excited to be here and are invested and bought into the team.

arubato, bilaal14, Deckard and 7 others like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't see any of these guys coming back unless they are willing to play for the minimum - Morey's likely to give Luc the MLE this year cause that's the only way he can retain him other than another vet min deal and .... that aint happening (Is it?)

Green is the wildcard here - no bird rights , no exceptions to sign him to .... vet min is all they have to offer. He might take that to stay at home , dude loves this team. Unless another team makes him a significantly better offer .... I think he's back next season.

J.J & Wright wont have bird rights , don't think they play here for the minimum , both end up on another teams bench.

saleem and mikol13 like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Wouldn't be shocked to see Gerald and Wright sign here for the vet minimum for various reasons (to play for his hometown team/probably not getting more money than a BAE by other teams), not sure about what kind of value JJ will have next summer...but i'm pretty sure Luc is going to get MLE money.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

To me i try to sign Luc first. I think he is the most important regarding the teams success.

5. ballscientist1

6. ballscientist1

In July 1, what can you do if Mark Cuban gives Capela 84 million offer sheet starting at $24 million?

1. Match immediately, give Cuban a lesson.

2. Let him walk for nothing, he will kill Rockers cap space next 4 years.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Considering we already will have completed the opt-in and trade for Lebron, we match and start winning rings.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. ballscientist1

Believe me, money really matters for owners and players. I understand that fans completely don't care.

Rockets owner will not spend over 180 million next season. Result would be

Both Capela and LMM are gone!

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd start by waiting to see if Cuban drafts a center first, after that i'd wait to see if he offers a contract to Capela instead of Randle, Nurkic, Parker, Gordon or one of the various unrestricted free agents available at center like Cousins, Favors, Okafor (lol).

If he still ends up making a big offer to Clint i'd match after i signed Lebron (and after 3 days just to help him miss out on other players) or i let Cuban build a team around overapaied guys (again) like Barnes, Capela, Powell and i sign DeAndre for cheap...after Lebron :D

pippendagimp likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

:eek::D

D-rock likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Btw i wonder what the Warriors will do in a couple of years with Curry and Durant on the books for 80M, with Klay and Draymond getting max offers around, with Bell getting a poison pill contract while still being without a good starting center :confused:

BigShasta likes this.
  12. ballscientist1

Paul has a cap hold 39 million. Morey will need to sign Paul first, then sign LeBron.

saleem likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Of course, unless we sign & trade for Lebron, Chris would be forced to sign for less money so yeah, he would've to resign for first to help us create room for a max (or whatever Lebron would be willing to get, which may not be a max btw).

D-rock likes this.
  14. ballscientist1

Rockets have 6 dead contracts against Cap Space.

How about this,

Paul contract 9 million a year, then LeBron contract 9 million a year?

15. ballscientist1

They are coming back to take nice contracts.

Why?

Capela walks for nothing.

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I've told a few people recently... due to Curry's age, those impending deals (max worthy for sure)... I give the Warriors two more years before true decline happens.

IMO
    - I see Klay bolting for LA on a max deal.
    - Curry's ankles giving out and is owed 40 million for that 2019 season (Age 31/32).
    - Green will probably stay after 2020 season, just a hunch.
    - Durant (could bolt following 2018 and no one is talking about this.)

So you have Durant and Thompson as FA in 2019. If Rockets upset them this year, I can see scenarios where that team disperses amongst other teams within a few years. Houston would stabilize as the new powerhouse but only if they can keep Harden/Paul together. Lots of what/if's but anything is possible...

Invisible Fan and D-rock like this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Hopefully we can split the MLE between Luc and Green and keep both.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't know man, i'll wait until @ballscientist1 makes a thread about this to see what will happen ;)

Why not?, ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Perhaps to win? Perhaps they like the organization and/or fit?

Sometimes money is not the be all and end all. Durant plays for your team so don't pretend you don't comprehend that players don't always insist on max contracts.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. ballscientist1

You guys start a thread

I will answer

How can Warriors keep 4 all-stars in summer 2020 by budgeting 180 million a year?