1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

snowflake

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's pretty simple thinking. That's like saying the U.S. outlawed racism therefore there is no racism in the U.S.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i was about to reply and wreck you but then you sort of redeemed yourself only slightly, then you went downhill again. i will cautiously give rep but note that you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. it's not hard to just say, what pop said was stupid that is all. see, i just did it!

4. ipaman

agreed but i'm not the one who generalized, pop did. so it sounds like you are on my side, well done! But read the thread because you don't fully understand my position and pop's position. Pop is the bad guy here.

And just for you, here is what i know. A racist country, pop's words, does not have majority vote for a minority twice! Having said that, sure there are racist who live in this country but they are the fringes of society. Perhaps they have been recently, mistakenly, been emboldened but they are just as insignificant as ever despite the fear news machine telling us different.

Let me put it to you this way. It's a bit dark so I apologize in advance. To use HIV/AIDS as an example. We don't have full blown AIDS as Pop stated. Sure we have dormant, quiet, traces of HIV, but it's being suppressed to near nothing, with very little impact to health, and very close to maybe being cured. People like Pop who yell and scream about full blown AIDS actually help to awaken that dormant, suppressed, HIV, risking us all.

Oh... almost forgot, also he's an overrated has been who lost his hall of famers.

5. MexAmercnMoose

why u so mad tho? lol...breathe homie

6. ipaman

read homie and find out. gotta put in the work homie if you gonna play.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

I still can understand where Pop ic coming from. Can you say the U.S. isn't a racist country?

There are problems in this country and people can't go around acting like just because they don't contribute to the problems that means there isn't a problem. Just like people who defend Police through scandal after scandal.

"Blah blah, bad apples, blah blah there are good cops". IT STILL DOESN'T MEAN POLICE AREN'T INFECTED WITH PROBLEMS.

8. ipaman

I'm not condemning an entire country because a few bad apples. Honestly doing that in another context would be really racist. Saying all black people like <insert stereostype> is not true and it's racist. All Brits have bad teeth, all Jews are cheap, etc... none are true just like saying a country is racist. It's bullshit and there are better ways to do it. I'm calling pop out for doing it in a false, destructive, manner, because he's an overbearing dictator wannabe.

9. MexAmercnMoose

oh, i'm playing, and BALLIN....b****ing is jut not my thing, keep at it!...echale ganas!

ipaman likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You've said wackadoodle racist **** in GARM. Even if you weren't serious, it's at least grounds to not take you seriously.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

What's destructive about pointing out flaws, problems? Ignoring them only makes them worse. It's like a doctor telling someone who is obese they have nothing worry about because they don't have diabetes yet.

If people don't recognize there are problems nothing will happen.

You should be asking yourself why everyone is saying this country is becoming more racist and try and fix it, not start thinking everyone's crazy.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

I don't need you fify anything but i do need you to answer the question.

13. ipaman

sorry but i hate reading "your" when "you're" is required and i did answer the question.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it's intended as an accusation against you, but you can ignore it if you like given that it's ridiculous.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, @ipaman....is this statement accurate?

"There is still an element of racism in the USA and we, as a country, need to take steps to resolve that"

16. TheresTheDagger

My takes:

Popovich uses his platform as a wildly successful NBA coach to state his opinion. He risks a lot to do so and although I disagree with his take, respect his willingness to risk his reputation with those who disagree with him. He's also allowed to think what he wants and moreover should express what his worldview is when it relates to his experiences as long as its honest, and I certainly believe he is being honest to his experience.

I do however wish he would be more thoughtful in the way he expresses his opinions. It's my opinion the confrontational approach he's using (my opinion of course) on this topic doesn't lead to productive dialogue on the subject matter. We desperately NEED productive dialogue if we are ever going to come to a resolution in this country re: racism.

I'm tired of spinning in place on this subject. I think most here would agree with that sentiment? I dunno...looking to hear other perspectives.

cml750 and ipaman like this.
  17. ipaman

Yes but I don't need a ball coach to tell me that. And I would probably word it differently to make sure that everyone understands how far we've come and the progress that's been made. To take a position that slights, discredits, that effort and the people who have given everything for progress is wrong imo. Just like that show 600 lbs life when they lose to 180 lbs, sure the imminent life risk has been eliminated, but everyday they have to keep working to maintain. Nothing wrong with saying that but to say we are still a 600 lbs racist country is ignoring and discrediting the progress so far.

#97 ipaman, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's an inaccurate implication that it is a large element or that it is a serious problem, neither of these are true. There is an element of racism that still exists, but it's WAY down the line when it comes to problems that we, as a country need to take steps to resolve. Sex slavery and Human trafficking are a MUCH bigger problem than whatever racism is left in the country just to give an example of legitimate problems the country faces.

For the most part, racism is used as an excuse more so than anything. Armed criminal gets shot? Must have been racism. A politician lost a race? Must have been racism. That's the bulk of modern "racism" in America.

ipaman likes this.
  19. ipaman

great take!

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Actually, time is the only cure IMO. People's views are pretty much set after a certain age, just look at this board. Newer generations have different ideas as they grow up, just look at the views on gay marriage as an example.