1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

There are a lot of resentments in this country after the election of Obama (not just due to his policies), which I believe contributed as a significant factor in the election of Trump, call it what ever you wish to call it.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There was a backlash after all the BLM BS and that of course was the rise of identity politics....but those things didn't significantly affect the election. Trump was elected because the Democrats nominated one of the few people that could lose an election to Trump. If they pick a better candidate, Trump isn't the president, end of story.

You can't blame it on Russia or racism, it was merely nominating a terrible candidate and that leading to a loss to another terrible candidate that was viewed as slightly better by the majority of states.

ipaman and deadlybulb like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Racism definitely was a factor.

No conservative leaning poster here can erase my four years of interaction and experience living in one of the most right wing bubbles in the country(Marine Infantry barracks).

Ya, I'm quite confident a large portion of Obama haters were racist. It's evident in the fact that most of my peers used his full name with 'Hussain' as an insult. They couldn't give two ***** about policy. All they cared about that he wasn't "like them".

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was wondering how a quote from Pop could generate 42 replies. But, I see now that ipa was half of them. @ipaman, saying the country is racist isn't the same thing as calling you a racist. No need to take offense.

ipaman likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it really is though. The implication is that the people of the country are racist as a whole (or really just those of one racial group) instead of it being just one small part of the country. It's over the top rhetoric, but I agree, it's best largely ignored rather than responded to in depth.

ipaman likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's funny that @ipaman can hear that and say 'how dare he call me a racist! Speak for yourself!' And I can hear it and say 'he's not wrong, you know.' Do you think I, a white cis male, the archetypal majority interest (as is Pop himself), should feel like I stand accused when someone says this whole country is racist?

7. Purvis's shorts

Ask yourself, what do rural American rednecks and a New York City real estate tycoon have in common?

clue: one word that begins with an R and ends with an ism.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's fairly obvious to me that "racist country that hasn't figured it out yet" is shorthand for "a country in which racism is still prevalent". Is that debatable? Sure, I guess, depending on how one wants to define "racism".

But interpreting his words as an accusation that every person in the US is a despicable racist is absurd.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Certainly, the room will be the biggest loser.

CometsWin and ipaman like this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You could be right but I'm only aware of things I can control and try to not pay any attention to things I can't. Sure maybe I didn't have any advantages but I built something from nothing and that's what makes this country great and Pop wrong. Trust me I know what real institutional disadvantage, corruption, and discrimination are all about because of my family in Mexico. Both USA and Mexico have a "caste" system and it's damn near impossible to climb the ladder in Mexico but although it can be very difficult you can climb the ladder here. Which is why we have so many folks wanting to emigrate here and someone should mention that to that idiot Pop. Why so many minorities willing to do anything to get here even at the risk of dying? I guess they love racism so much they can't wait to get here!

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I assume Bobby would destroy ipman, he is ex military I believe.

12. ipaman

yea but then i would miss the opportunity to expose and pile on this overrated, jerk face, smug, dictator wannabe, basketball coach, who hasn't done **** without hall of famers to do it for him.

13. ipaman

see my reply to @Bobbythegreat , i will never miss an opportunity **** on the spurs and expose pop. thankfully like many liberal crazies he says ridiculous **** so i got a chance. too bad i don't allow myself to be judged morally or take orders from a basketball coach

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

15. fchowd0311

Funny because his career even before touching basketball is more impressive than your life achievements .

16. ipaman

okay spurs and pop lover

17. fchowd0311

You are a child. You can respect a human even if they are sports rivals. Pop has a very distinguished career in the military and in the NBA.

I trust his political views more than any random Clutchfans poster especially considering his education history .

18. ipaman

asked about black history month, decides to judge and call out an entire country of 350+ million instead of saying some respectable about the nba and their black history month efforts. gtfo! you pompous, presumptuous, basketball coach. he's not smart or brave, he's an *******.

19. ipaman

you learn and get your political views from basketball coaches?! your posts make so much more sense now!

20. fchowd0311

At this point... Just go ahead. Poe's law really makes me think of every post as yours as a shtick. I hope it's a shtick for your sake .