1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell Has Got To Stay!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Feb 13, 2018.

1. dwhite

dwhite Member

Bill had a subpar game tonight, but he is a legendary announcer who still sounds great and makes Rockets basketball very fun to watch. Harden’s 60 point game was one of Worrell’s best announced games in years. It would have not been the same without him. Can’t believe some of you jokers prefer Hackerman over the future Hall of Fame announcer. Craig and Bull are boring amateurs who sound like they belong on Public Access Cable broadcasting local high school basketball games.

2. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I truly don't understand Rockets fans' love affair with Worrell. Is it just nostalgia? I've had league pass for about 12 years (which means I've been watching Bill that long), and I still think he's awful. He has no redeeming qualities as a commentator aside from being a passionate Rockets fan.

He's not funny, he's not very articulate, he doesn't understand the game well, and he gets facts wrong constantly... Not to mention that he thinks "defense" is a verb. (god that shizz is annoying). All he does is suck up to Clyde all game long and make the same, tired old-man jokes every five minutes.

Bull + Ackerman >>>

EDIT: And holy crap, I didn't even even see your hate for Bull and Craig at the end of your post. My god, what is wrong with the world? I know opinions are like @ssholes and all that, but damn...

joeson332 and ballsohard like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bill is ok these days if u ignore the constant mistakes that he makes

next year he’ll be mistaking Harden for CP3

4. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

It just comes down to competition. If there is no one better, then he stays. Personally I think Craig Ackerman should take his place for home games. Bill has been good to know over the years though and I appreciate him.

I would prefer Bill and Craig over Bullard. But I think salary wise Bullard is kind of like the cheap guy, so I'm not sure the Rockets could have Bill and Craig together at one time.

Bill gets criticism for not knowing the game well, but that isn't actually his role. He is the lead guy who is supposed to be good to listen to. The reason Bullard and Drexler are there is to be the stats and knowledge base.

Craig I think has the skills to be the lead guy and also can be smart enough to be someone who knows the game well as well. You'll always need a stats guy sidekick though because knowing the stats and being the lead guy at the same time is very difficult, mainly because people need to read the stats.

#4 RestHarden, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    The Greyhound 33 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

chill out brah even harden usually have 4-5 turnovers per game and its ok because hes mvp

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I miss Bill and Calvin the GOAT duo. I imagine Bill just gets bored out of his mind having to chat with Bullard and captain obvious all game.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bill isn’t at the top of his profession like Harden is

the amount of mistakes he makes is impressively bad, that Mavs game was such a bad look for him

#7 Reeko, Feb 13, 2018
    J.R. and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmon who cares about names of players and other technicalities... he has the intangibles, demeanor, jokes, laughs, he has some serious magic to him i dont care if he doesn't know what does 1st pick mean or who is that sturdy player on mavs ;)

announcing games is a mostly an art.. there are no mistakes in the reign of art

9. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

One of the problems with League Pass is that you are supposed to get the home game announcers....does not always happen. So then your stuck with the visiting announcers and their constant replays of their (few) highlights. If it ain't Bill, the audio goes to mute!

hakeemthagreat and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I grew up with Bill .. his voice IS Houston Rockets basketball. His slow plunge into senility has to be taken in stride and with a little love. You don't kick grandpa to the curb cuz he likes to take a dump in the dishwasher do you?

Just take a shot everytime Bill commits an on air boo boo .. it's fun and depending on the game you could sleep like a baby!

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

like I said, he’s ok if u can ignore the constant mistakes, and I do for the most part...other than the Mavs game, I’ve pretty much never been in the game threads bringing him up, but make no mistake, that Mavs game was terrible

I don’t bring up Clyde or Bull either, I’m probably one of the few that doesn’t mind Clyde, I’ve accepted him for who he is and what he does

If anyone has to go, it’s Matt Thomas. Bring back JPS!

aroundtheblock2 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Moahst

Moahst Member

I can't even tell if I like Bill Worrell or not anymore. His blind favoritism really gets to me and takes me out of the moment and yet at the same time he says things about the Rockets in a way nobody else can. And he knows who everyone's daddy is.

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Bill: John Stockton hits the three over Harden.

Bull: A three-pointer is worth more than a two-pointer.

Clyde: Ya think?!

14. dwhite

dwhite Member

I agree that his (and the rest of the crew’s) blind favoritism is annoying, but I overlook it because he has such a great announcer’s voice and you can really hear the true love he has for the team. He does not hesitate to point out when players make stupid mistakes or there is a lack of defensive effort. His strong desire for the team to succeed comes out in each and every broadcast he does.

Why not? likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bill is turning into Harry Carey, it is passed time for him to go.

DD

#15 DaDakota, Feb 13, 2018
  16. valorita

valorita Member

Either Bill or Clyde have got to go.
    Craig, Bull and Murph would be a fantastic combo.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Merriam Webster acknowledgement of defense as a transitive verb.

Attached Files:

#17 napalm06, Feb 13, 2018
    Why not?, Nook and topfive like this.
  18. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I'd rather hear bill than any other broadcaster. He's pretty funny comes up with stuff on the spot and nicknames on spot. He also calls it like it is when rockets aren't playing defense. Bull always does the same lines and explains why he hates the blocking/charge foul and stuff like that. Then he goes on explains how he would change it. Clyde makes me want to watch the game on mute...night in and night out. Same line all the time, bill is the best one

19. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Bill has certainly earned the right to go out on his own terms.

I have too many fond memories of games he's called to hate on him.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Crying over an announcer is the most petty thing ever, who cares just watch the damn game.