1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hey Pop!, don't speak for me because I live in this country and I'm not a racist. Speak yourself only and stop projecting.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You seem to be triggered that people are calling things the way they see it.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The country is pretty racist.

4. ipaman

Oh please, spare me... Let's get some real talk in here not some pandering from commie dictator wannabe, has been coach.

Obama won twice and broke records doing it! Some of our most inspiring leaders and figures are minorities. Our country unlike any other on this planet is a true melting pot. The fabrics of our society are filled with successful people of all colors. You can't say with a straight face a racist country elected a POTUS twice by MAJORITY, give me a facking break.

More real talk, we have socioeconomic discrimination that is not based on the color of ones skin. We have a militarized police problem that is not based on skin color. We have a drug problem that infects our poorest neighborhoods regardless of skin color. We have overbearing laws that don't care about skin color. We have an entrenched, ongoing problem of disrespecting, and disregarding, women of all colors. I could go on and yes we have a lot of problems but racism is no where near the top of the list.

Having said that, of course there are racists who live in this country of 350 million+ but they have very little power and they are heavily outnumbered. Go to Europe or Latin American if you want to see countries that have real, systematic, racism problems, out in the open among the masses. It's not uncommon to have bananas thrown at European soccer players or racist chants for example. It's damn near a weekly occurrence. Here, with sports dominated by minorities, it almost never happens and the few times it has it has been met and dealt with quickly and harshly.

Again spare me the pandering because he is projecting and frankly it's insulting. It's because of people like Pop that racism still exists because they won't stfu about it.

RocketsLegend likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Did you just blame racism in America on Greg Popovich?

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  6. ipaman

I disagree but that's not what this overrated has been said. He said we live in a racist country because he's a pandering, self hating white male, who likes to project his own thoughts onto an entire country like if he speaks and thinks for 300+ million.

7. ipaman

Ha!, not literally but his way of thinking, judging, projecting, focusing on the negative, etc... it's toxic and not enlightening. you want even more progress on top of the amazing progress we have, focusing on how diverse and amazing our country is with diversity. It's nothing like he thinks it is and he's a sad man for thinking the way he does.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Come on dude, Obama being elected twice has nothing to do with a country being set up in a way that disadvantages minorities. That's not a point to disprove Pop's statement. Sure there are millions of successful minorities. They may have had to overcome significant barriers to get to where they are. There are also millions of minorities that could not overcome these significant barriers. Ask yourself why Silicon Valley is filled with minorities at every level...BESIDES executive positions.
    Where is the evidence of all of this? Like it's easy to explain away every questionable thing that seems to happen to minorities with other reasons, but that's why there's research and studies that consider large sample sizes and control variables. Don't tell me, show me.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

It’s an observation from his perspective.

I have a feeling if he’d have said we live in a country full of misinformed sheep you’d be ok with him “projecting”.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The reason racism still exists today is because people like you deny it's a problem.

Deckard likes this.
  11. ipaman

i'm sorry but you cannot tell me that a majority voted for a black man to be potus twice and call it a racist country. are there fringes of society that are not widely accepted and hidden from daily life that have racists. sure but a racist country that does not make.

already answered but simply put... it really sucks to be poor in this country because at best you can go from poor to middle class but no higher. it's very, very, rare poor folk can attend the schools and meet the people that are required to reach those levels of enterprise.

the evidence... for one, my family from mexico and in texas were/are dirt poor. i was dirt poor and thankfully have made a nice upper middle class family for myself but not without major challenges because of the paths i had no choice but to take. as for the rest it's all online. all the studies, data, etc... that explain that being poor sucks way harder than being black. take any wealthy black man and his kids and tell me how difficult their life is? now take any color poor person from any color ghetto and tell me who has it worse.

12. ipaman

stop having feelings because they are ****. i would have been okay with him saying our country has fringe, outcast, shamed, elements, that are less than 1% of the population that are racist.

13. ipaman

i didn't deny it was a problem. in fact, i stated it was on the list of problems but way down the list behind way more current and serious problems.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I know you.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not a controversial statement except with the MAGA'ers.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yes you put it way at the bottom of the list of problems. Sure, if you are white then racism is a very minor problem to you. That's true. But if you are black or other races, it's a big problem because it affects how safe you are and how much money you make. That's a big problem to those people.

peleincubus likes this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He didn’t say everyone in the country was racist. So, when the President says America is a Christian nation...is that true or is the President projecting?

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Don't take the bait.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Are you Rich Lord?

20. ipaman

how do you explain that for me, not white, it's not a big problem but there are others i deal with on a daily basis. once in a while sure i might get a look or a comment but it's harmless compared to the other problems.