1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Every Seat Sold. Clueless Bob has no incentive to do anything right because folks are paying for mediocrity. The only hope I have going forward is that he'll eventually have to relinquish control due to health reasons. Until that happens, it'll be more of the same old same old with the Texans being an afterthought in the state.

raining threes likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. texian

texian Member

[​IMG]

4. HillBoy

[​IMG]

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Still can't believe they retained Devlin

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Love how they failed to mention his OL allowed the 2nd most sacks and this OL lost the most yardage per sack.

Got to love that Texans P.R. department.

mikol13, raining threes and J.R. like this.
  8. raining threes

I guess McNair disagrees with you about who made what decisions, since RS is gone and BOB is still here. That should tell you all you need to know. (It wont)

I do agree that the #1 thing wrong with the Texans is incompetent ownership. The McNair's should've cleaned house when Kubiak left and should've done the same when RS took his LOA. Maybe RS is really coming back in a higher role where he can mess up what Gaine is trying to accomplish.

9. HillBoy

I agree with you on everything but RS. After the Capers-Casserly fiasco, the GM position was altered to give the HC more authority over player acquisition. This is the part that everyone here conveniently overlooks when criticising RS. He was not the sole architect of the team and was tasked with getting the players that BoB and McNair wanted on the team. Now just watch and see who Gaines brings in and then tell me that he's acting alone on his own authrority. You know damn well, he's going to get whomever BoB wants. The only difference will be that this time, RS can't be blamed for BoB's failures on the field.

10. texian

texian Member

That was true under Kubiak, not true after Kubiak. The only thing that remained the same was McNair still involved in player acquisition.

Rick always had final say over O'Brien. Always.

The honeymoon between RS and O'Brien was already fractured after the fumbling 2014 draft, reinforced when the 2014 draftees got on the field, and then finally divorced during the Mallet alarm clock drama.

O'Brien went to McNair and suggested adding a guy at the top of the scouting side who actually had scouting chops and was serious about winning. McNair declined and extended Rick's contract, and that signaled the countdown clock of O'Brien leaving. Since then Smith did what he wanted to do -- like Osweiler -- as long as he could sell it to McNair. The only edict McNair sent down was Rick had to draft a QB in the first round in 2017. That was a direct order.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You have an imagination, that's for sure.

The fact is Gaine has final say over OBrien too.

But in practice the GM here just gets the players the coaches want.

OBrien's offensive personnel choices blew up in his face and he blamed scouting. Funny how the defense didn't seem to have scouting problems

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

My goodness. You state speculation and opinion as though it is proven fact. You take your "Rick Smith" can't do no right to another level.

13. raining threes

Over a decade of evidence.

Do you really think RS and for that matter BOB are the people to bring a championship to this city.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

What evidence do you have to prove anything in the post I quoted?

15. raining threes

I dont have to prove anything.

You do though if you're going to make statements like that one about another poster.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I do believe we're going to need at least another hundred pages to resolve this matter.

tierre_brown likes this.
  17. raining threes

I think you need to go listen to Foster's podcast to get a glimpse of how the Texans org works.

texian likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

That Is like saying the best way to know who you are is to go ask your ex

19. raining threes

Well, he did speak well of the coaching staff.

Which should tell you plenty, but it wont.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Because his coach didn't trade him. Lol

But seriously OBrien is liked by the players. No surprise there. I like him as a head coach as he is level headed, connects well with players, and generally speaking he wants what's best for the team. Where he needs improvement is his personnel choices and in-game decision making. My opinion is sometimes his ego gets in the way.

red5rocket and raining threes like this.