1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Interested in JT Realmuto

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'd like a Martes led offer. Something like Martes, C. Perez, lower level prospect seems like pretty fair value.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

Delusional

texans1095 likes this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

In Luhnow I trust but I really want to see more home grown talent like Tucker come up and make a Bregman like impact.

Still betting Whitley and Tucker are untouchable.

4. raining threes

I wonder if a package of Fisher/Martes/Celestino/H. Perez/Paulino would get a deal done?

3 young pitchers with big arms.

A MLB ready young OF

A young toolsy OF

5. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Seems like thats around where the package should end up if a deal can be made. Miami should ask for Tucker now, but I'd be shocked if Luhnow traded either Tucker or Whitley for anyone not named Mike Trout.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Martes has little trade value in my opinion. The eye test, nor the metrics, were very impressive. I'm not really sure who would have any interest in him. He didn't improve, he was terrible with runners on base, and there was no sense of electricity. poor starter. poor reliever. And then he's got little baby fat to boot. Better to just let him mill around in the minors and see if we can reshine. He's good when he's ahead in the count, but how often is that.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He’s 22 now. I think he was the youngest pitcher in the MLB last year. He may never do anything but 22 year old pitchers with his stuff aren’t throw always. But I haven’t checked his exit velocity.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Eye test was fine last year except coming put of the pen (which he did a lot) and in stretch. His pitches moved well. He had trouble warming up and was not comfortable in the stretch. He was erratic. Metrics like FIP showed him as an average pitcher overall for innings pitched even with the control issues. ERA sucked, but means very little in a that small a sample. He was above average as a starter, but Astros did limit to about 5 innings and he didn't start much.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Most 21 year olds are still in college or in the low minors somewhere, he was pitching in the MLB. He struck out over 11 per 9 and held opponents to a .245 BA. Those are good for anybody, let alone a 21 year old. His issue was command. Plenty of HOF level pitchers struggled with command early. Will it get better, we don't know, but to say a rookie with some control issues showed no promise is being very myopic.

He's likely right there with Alvarez and Bukauskas as our 3rd most valuable trade chip

10. PhiSlammaJamma

You three are his biggest supporters and I quote;

"He may never do anything."
    "Trouble warming up"
    "Control Issues"
    "Not comfortable in the stretch."
    "He was erratic."
    "Sucked."
    "Issues with command."

That was all in three posts from his biggest proponents. If you created word art for Martes, and you just dialed in on the word art, it's telling you the story. Hard to ignore. I don't see the trade value. Best to try and develop before trading at such a low point.

11. conquistador#11

Tuesday is the only player on the astros to get AJ hinch all fired up! You need a player like that.

12. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Talk about taking things out of context...good thing we can all go back and read what they actually said.

Astrofan59 and BigM like this.
  13. SS0101

SS0101 Member

The way to properly quote that would something along the lines of..

"[...] insert your text here [...]"

You see, those brackets mean there are a lot of things left unsaid.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Martes is far from a sure thing. But it's also short sighted (and insane) to say he lacks value.

Martes showed plenty of upside and ability. His average heater sat at 96. His off-speed stuff was nasty. Did Martes have issues? Uhhhh, yeah. Welcome to the MLB. All prospects struggle, even more so when they have to switch roles. I'm honestly surprised Martes didn't struggle more. He looked way better as a starter than a reliever, but that's besides the point.

How many 21 year olds can you name that didn't struggle? A handful? In the past 3 decades, there are, what...maybe 10 players who've come up and faced little to no adversity? Seriously, Joe Joe, would you care to make a list? Did all of the other kids lose their trade value after .5 seasons?

Is Martes a No. 1 starter in the future? Probably not. But he can be a strong #2 or #3 down the road. To say he has little value because he struggled in his first year is laughable. He has the size, the stuff, and the ability to play in the MLB for a long time to come. He has a high floor, too. At the worst, he's a decent back end starter or long inning reliever. It's honestly not even a question--he has value in this league. Any team would love to have a player like him.

#54 awc713, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    No Worries likes this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

But he pitched 86 innings last year between the majors and AAA, and the only highlights we have are 10 good innings. That leaves another 76 innings of misery (54 runs, 12 HR, 8 HB, 59 BB).

#55 PhiSlammaJamma, Feb 11, 2018
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

Martes gave up 0ER in 16 of his 32 MLB outings. 8 of those outings were >1 IP, so it's more than just the 10 innings I embedded. Not too shabby, unless you expect every 21 year old to come out as Kershaw.

You never answered my question. Care to make a list of 21 year olds who didn't struggle in their first season? Thanks.

#56 awc713, Feb 11, 2018
    SS0101 and texans1095 like this.
  17. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

That's like saying a high potential prospect who is struggling but has shown flashes of good stuff couldn't be the centerpiece for a young controllable arm to be our closer.

Appel for Giles ?

18. Buck Turgidson

He's very young, has great stuff, the consistency of his delivery and mechanics has been his bugaboo. To say he has no value is silly.

texans1095 and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We get it, you think a 21 year old is a finished product with no potential to improve.

While you may feel that way, I can guarantee you MLB GM's aren't so comically shortsighted, and he still has a ton of trade value.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I said trade value is low. So you got that part right. Trade when the value is high.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.