1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Interested in JT Realmuto

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marlins appear to like tools, upside.
    Alvarez, Martes, Fisher, Bukauskas, the Perezes, and Celestino would be guys they would likely want once Astros say no to Tucker and Whitley.

I would hope Fisher, Bukauskas, and Celestino would work. Would not want to deal Martes unless as a last resort. Astros would need to add an OF elsewhere with losing Fisher.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Realmuto is a good defensive player, much better than McCann at throwing out base runners and stopping balls. I don’t know about game calling and pitch framing. He has been roughly a league average bat, so it won’t be a huge upgrade there. But he’s younger, more durable, higher upside, and hits righty, so he’s a good add this year and an even better add for 2019-2020.

houstonstime and Joe Joe like this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Not worth that much for what is a slight upgrade

4. Buck Turgidson

Personally I hope the Marlins decide to hang onto him until next offseason. Then let's talk.

juicystream and awc713 like this.
  5. pw1993

pw1993 Member

I imagine a lot of Luhnow's decision calculus here comes down to questions like:

1) How well does the coaching staff think Stassi will perform catching 30 to 40% of games in 2018?

2) How interested would the club be in acquiring Yasmani Grandal as a FA at the end of this season? If Luhnow likes Grandal, there is less impetus to get Realmuto now.

3) How much is McCann expected to regress?

McCann looked pooped at the end of last season. The team's postseason prospects will be brighter if there is at least one catcher who's hitting well and not feeling too banged up. I know it's hard with what the job entails, but age is working against McCann right now in a way that it isn't for Realmuto.

I'm comfortable with letting Stassi show what he can do in the first half of the season. Realmuto might still be available as a trade option in June/July if Stassi doesn't pan out. If there are no viable trades at the non-waiver deadline, Gattis could always come back to catch and he'd not be too sore if all he's been doing is DH'ing since spring training.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not Marlins fault Astros are stacked. He would be a big upgrade for 2019 and 2020. I'd expect he would be dealt for a package of similar value to the Cole deal as I expect his extra year offsets value difference. I'd prefer Astros deal younger guys. I'm not sure something like Nova and Celestino would be enough as headliners.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

Huh??

8. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Possible catching duos this season and next:

2018:
    McCann / Realmuto
    McCann / Stassi
    McCann / Gattis (assumes Stassi injured or flops)
    McCann / Stubbs
    Stassi / Stubbs (assumes injury to McCann)
    Stassi / Gattis (assumes injury to McCann)

2019:
    McCann / Realmuto (unlikely but contractually possible)
    McCann / Stassi (assumes today's tentative lineup works out well)
    Realmuto / Stubbs
    Realmuto / Grandal (sounds good to me!)
    Grandal / Stassi
    Grandal / Stubbs
    Grandal / Flowers
    Realmuto / Flowers

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I could live with this just to ensure that we don't have a gaping hole in the lineup at catcher... which has hurt us before. But there's nothing about JT that says difference maker to me. There are probably free agents who can deliver at a fraction of the cost.

10. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Defensively, Stassi is superior to Gattis and offensively, he is projected to hit for right around the league-average OPS ~.750.

Last season, he hit quite well in Fresno (OPS a little over .850) and in 31 PA's with the Astros, he had 2 HRs and did a good job of drawing walks. I'd give Stassi a 20% chance of performing as well as Realmuto next year and a 30% chance of performing only slightly worse. Weigh that against all the prospects we'd have to part with to get Realmuto... I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade with Miami.

A lot of mid-season trades are built on discussions that began in the winter. This could be one of them, but maybe Stassi will surprise us in a good way and make all that unnecessary.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

The question will be, what happens to the gigantic piano that McCann has been dragging around the base paths.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nah. Lucroy is the only free agent that has a chance to be as good a Realmuto but even he is unlikely to be that good.

Using fWAR, Realmuto has been the 3rd most valuable catcher in the league over the last 2 seasons. He’s a star player. And given Houston currently lacks an answer at his position after this season, he’d be a great add.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Generally agree. Lucroy doesn't cost a prospect, but wouldn't likely help as much in 2019 and 2020. Realmuto is good. Wouldn't call him a star, though. This season, he would make catcher spot really deep in case McCann wears down, but would not be too big an add this year if McCann plays well. Only concern would be dealing guys that would help this year.

14. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Not sure how I feel about this. Get it done without Tucker and Whitley. But the timing just doesn't seem right with McCann.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

True. Fact that JT has only one one great year is a bit concerning. For the price, I’d rather trade for Jose’s BFF Salvador Perez.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t really know who this guy is but I’m good with whatever Lunhow wants to do. He’s earned that.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

At the right price, I'm fine with it. But Tucker isn't the right price.

I could be up for Stubbs, Paulino and JD Davis. Those are our #5, 8 and 9 prospects. Stubbs isn't necessary if we have JT, and Davis is blocked.

Then we deal Gattis for a prospect to clean up our 25 man rotation.

18. msn

msn Member

D'Antoni faints.

Nippystix, J.R., Bear_Bryant and 2 others like this.
  19. astros123

astros123 Member

do you guys know how tough it is to find a legit young catcher with control remaining? i would get him in a hear beat. you guys are crazy

texans1095 likes this.
  20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.