1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign George Springer to 2-year, $24M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dwood21, Feb 5, 2018.

1. dwood21

dwood21 Member

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Split the difference between likely earnings over the next 2 years, get the headache of arbitration out of the way for 2 years, and give George some security without having to sacrifice some of those precious free agent years.

Win for everybody.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's awesome! I realize it's more than either asked in arbitration but it still seems like a huge discount and they put it off until after the 2019 season.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unless George has an absolutely massive year this season, it won't really be a discount for us. I highly doubt George would have commanded much more than 15 million next year in arbitration.

I honestly think the Astros made this deal more for atmosphere than anything. Financially there likely isn't too much to gain, but it goes a long way towards keeping a guy happy, and avoiding the s**tshow of an arbitration hearing.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Really glad they got this done. Keep the core happy and set a precedent.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what seal said. There's really only downside for the team with this deal (financially), so I appreciate that they went and did it anyway. It sends a signal to the whole team--not just Springer. It also partially keeps the story out of the news that the Astros are "keeping Altuve and letting Springer go", even if that's still what's going to happen...because now it feels like they rewarded him somewhat.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Spurs culture.

cheke64 likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It seems like a fair deal. Benefit for Astros is that if Springer goes crazy, they have a good deal. Benefit for Springer is that he doesn't have to worry about money for 2 years.

9. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I'm sure he was terrified

RasaqBoi and Houstunna like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I really would have liked to have been able to throw a third year on there for $25,000,000 and then let him hit free agency, but I am sure George wants to hit free agency as young as possible. He has earned the security that he will receive.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

He has 1 year of arbitration left after this deal is over. FA in '21.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

After this move I show payroll for the projected 25 man roster at $152M, assuming McHugh gets $5M.

Houston should have some flexibility, possibly quite a bit. They can sustain $160-190M depending on whose numbers you believe, so they have room to add. I know many will say keep those dollars for extensions but my feeling is that every core player is going to test free agency so saving that money for later doesn’t make much sense. I think it makes the most sense to maximize the chances of winning while Correa is still under control and while the current CBA is in place since after that the rules are an unknown. Both of those are in 2021.

Adding a significant contract or two should definitely be on the table.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I don't think the Astros have much chance of signing even half of their big ticket players when they become free agents. Accordingly the Astros have to decide if they believe they can fill holes and be elite with only half of their current big players in 2-4 years OR if they want to maximize their current window and rebuild in 3-4 years. Practically, I believe the second option is more likely.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Establishing some good faith. I like it. Also shows that the sides can work together. I have read before that Springer could be the hardest to keep (aside from not being able to afford them all) because his dad is a lawyer.

15. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

FLASH21 and Madmanmetz like this.
  16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Good deal for the team and for George.

With the big name free-agents on the market next off season, it'd likely mean less money for a big-time contract for George. This way he makes some really good money for 2 years and hits FA the following off season for his big payday. It also gives the team an extra year to see if Kyle Tucker can be a viable replacement for George if we can't afford to keep him.

Great move all the way around.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Springer's already shown what he's got.

It's a damn good deal for an all star caliber player....who while getting better.....is also clutch as hell.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

George was gonna be an Astro in 2019 either way, 2020 as well. This doesn't really effect anything in the long term for either side, just settles some financial matters and avoids a possible headache.

RockFanFirst and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Curious why they didn't buy-out his final arbitration year? I also wonder if Springer could have been enticed to go four years if the Astros were "overpaying" him for his three arbitration years? That was what I wanted them to do: offer him four years for $80-90MM and then let him walk.

Nook likes this.
  20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Good for him, he's a classy dude. Pulse of the team and that's good for the clubhouse to have him all smiles.