1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michigan State Sexual Assault Scandal

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 26, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Move to the hangout if you'd like.

LINKS:
    The Los Angeles Clippers have placed Travis Walton, an assistant coach of the team’s G League affiliate, on administrative leave pending further investigation.

[Woj]: The Orlando Magic waived two-way player Adreian Payne, league sources tell ESPN. He was playing with G-League Lakeland Magic. Payne, a former first-round pick, has surfaced in the Michigan State scandal.

#1 J.R., Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Move over Baylor...

sammy likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I thought Izzo and Dantonio looked awful in those press conferences, especially Dantonio. I'd be surprised if he's coaching there next year.

4. MystikArkitect

Unlike Nassar, the system doesn’t make any examples of these institutions. Slaps on the wrist, maybe a jail sentence or firing for a low level employee that knew something.

They all know that you weather the storm at first and once the season gets under way, everyone forgets. Like they always do.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Are you asking for loss of accreditation? I believe that would effect many innocent individuals. Remove those culpable and put stronger safeguards in place.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It looks like most of those investigations were investigated and charges weren't filed. They also investigated Nassar and the other doctors said what he did was medically acceptable. Those doctors should be more accountable not the the boss who probably has no idea what she is doing. Its not like she was watching him do what he was doing and then determining if it was sexual abuse. Everyone is going to get fired, but a bunch of people who probably had nothing to do with what this one guy did are going to get screwed.

7. Major

Major Member

Nassar was only a small part of the OTL investigation. It was about dozens of rapes by football and basketball reported and largely ignored by the administration. Same stuff as Baylor, basically.

8. Major

Major Member

That seems like a great way for institutions to get away with not having safeguards. Oh, our policies didn't work? Let's just fire some people and continue on our merry way. The entire athletic program is responsible in different ways for ignoring all the problems (not talking about Nassar), whether it be directly doing or enabling others to do so.

tierre_brown likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Burn college sports down to its rotten twisted core.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Anyone got a link to the E:60 episode that broke all of this?

11. Buck Turgidson

The structure is rotten and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

And the top down. I'm no engineer.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Also it could be done from inside out.

Let's try every variation.

I have a crazy theory. The fact that it's so easily corruptible may have something to do with the fact that we legally bar minors or near minors from accepting the fruits of their labors, leaving them to be captured by others who are so incentiveized.

Crazy theory. I know. But mayhaps just crazy enough to work.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sports should be de-coupled from schools altogether, replaced by private, club teams that can buy the rights to college nicknames/logos and rent the venues.

14. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's pretty much what they did at Baylor and they are literally going about business as usual. They removed those seemingly culpable and finally hired a Title IX coordinator (after not having one for 3 years). Yet they are on now on their 3rd coordinator, two of them leaving citing that the school was impeding investigations and putting up roadblocks in doing their job. This is just insane to me.

But unfortunately there is just no system or body to govern the current "safeguards" let alone input new ones. As long as schools (and individuals) prioritize winning and money over almost everything else, these issues will arise. I really don't know what the solution is but at some point, you'll have to hit them where it hurts whether it's accreditation (unlikely), bowl bans, loss of scholarships, loss of revenue, death penalty (unlikely), etc...Unfortunately this will effect innocent individuals but there will always be collateral damage, sure there are ways to minimize it somewhat.

The NCAA on the other hand is staying away as far as possible after botching the Penn St. case. Believe they have yet to officially comment on Baylor after all this time. But this is whole other issue by itself.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. texian

texian Member

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's extremely sad to watch. I can imagine myself attempting to take the same action against Nassar if those were my children.

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Understandable reaction by the father. The officers did their job in tackling the father, but you could tell that they were sympathetic while doing so.

20. Buck Turgidson

Hadn't seen this, very interesting proposal:

Report: NCAA considering death penalty for NCAA