1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Hartenstein - Rockets second round pick (43rd overall)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2017.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Averaging 19.5ppg 9.8rpg 2.4apg 1.5bpg 0.5spg 64 percent shooting in his past 4 games

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

3. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

At his point in time looks better than Zhou QI. I know, that's not saying much.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Woaaa @Carl Herrera shat go dine?!?

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yeah but can he be used to stop Kevin Durant, this year?!?!?!

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Setting the bar high!

[​IMG]

7. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Qi was very solid in the G League this year when he was down there

D-rock likes this.
  8. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

To be fair, the bar would be how Qi has looked in the G League, not the NBA

D-rock likes this.
  9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

True... I like Zhou Qi and I think he has good potential, but I think he's with the Rockets too early. I'm sure Les Alexander played a role in that... but we'll see if he can develop here bouncing between the G-League and the NBA. Capela was fairly raw when he came over too.

amaru and D-rock like this.
  10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Clint Capela's age when he first played 20 minutes in an NBA game: 21 years, 5 months, 10 days.

Zhou Qi's current age: 21 years, 11 months, 29 days.

Isaiah Hartenstein's current age: 19 years, 8 months, 9 days.

11. jogo

jogo Member

Wow. Harty is only 19. That's nice.

12. j@amc

j@amc Member

I have to think that Isaiah Hartenstein is going to factor into the long term Rockets plan. He shows great footwork on the PnR (both defensively and offensively). He's got touch, timing, size -- and he'll turn 20 on May 5th. As a reminder, he's a true 7-footer, who measured last year at 7' 1.25 in shoes with a 9' 1 standing reach and a 250-pound frame (per DraftExpress).

His latest game from RGV (1-19-18): 31 minutes, 17 points/14 boards, only 2 fouls and 2 TOs. It's been quite a while since we had a big man in the Rockets pipeline who wasn't wildly foul prone. When you consider how much turnover there's been with guards on that RGV team that Hartenstein has any stats is pretty remarkable because somebody has to get him the ball.

In less than two years, he could be coming off our bench as a solid contributor. Brilliant pickup by Morey for a second rounder. He's much further along on conditioning than Zhou Qi.

Commodore and don grahamleone like this.
  13. anchel

anchel Member

How is he defensively? Fast feet? Fast brain? High IQ? Plays big? Hard?

amaru and D-rock like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He gets an awful lot of good looks around the rim .... uses the backboard well but damn he doesn't seem to have much explosiveness and doesn't dunk many of those easy looks. He's gotta dunk a lot of those in the big league or his efficiency likely drops significantly as defenders are just a lot better in the NBA.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing, but what was amazing is how well he already understands how to use his body and get to open spots--very impressive for 19-year old. Kid looks a lot less stiff then I remember as well. The tip in he made where he went to the ground, but bounced up quickly and try to get a deflection was pretty athletic for a 7-footer.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

You gotta dunk it!-Clyde Drexler

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Definitely a lot to like with the kid .... good shooter on top of the inside skills.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just not explosive, plays below rim. Athleticism and wingspan just average.

amaru likes this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

From the little I have seen he moves, passes and uses body well and all will translate into the league. His stats are solid, too. He reminds me of Big Z of the Cavs from yesteryear. He won’t be an all-star but would blend nicely with what the Rockets look like now. Yes, he is young but I would still like to see him on the main roster for spot minutes to really measure his development.

20. j@amc

j@amc Member

That's a fair critique. I think Hartenstein has a little more potential than say Jakob Poeltl (who went to the Raptors at #9). Poeltl is a solid contributor but Hartenstein is almost two years younger. Both are tall guys that can come off the bench, create space, and score (even if below the rim). But Hartenstein has a little more range that he's been adding, and that footwork on D is nice.

There's not a player on the Rockets current roster that can hedge on a PnR better than Hartenstein today.

D-rock, HI Mana and don grahamleone like this.