1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith: "Deandre Jordan wants to be traded to the Houston Rockets"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James Hardashian, Jan 16, 2018.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, I'm sure the Clippers would love that package. lol

Vivi, AroundTheWorld and Pen15clubber like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lmao

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes a nice player but would hate to deal with hack-a-jordan

4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Haha it’s going well, I play in some country I can’t even pronounce now, where they don’t have planes.

When you make your statement re capela and ryno, are you taking into consideration the fact that capela will get a huge contract because of how good CP3 and harden make him look?

Capela is getting at least 25 million imo if not more in FA.

Consider that high profile free agents are considering and will be considering coming to the rockets at a discount. If we use our cap space on capela, we are locking ourselves down.

Get rid of ryno and capela, and you can get two high profile agents at a discount in 2018 imo.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't do it Moery.

You gon git fleeced agin.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man, first it was DJ might sign for $10 million, then it was MLE, now we are asking him to take the vet minimum? LOL

Guy will easily sign for $15 million plus as a free agent OR can opt in for over $20 million. He may take a "paycut" to play in Houston, but he isn't giving up tens of millions to do it. I think MLE is outlandish but I guess maybe that's possible depending on how the market shakes out and how badly he wants to be here. No way on the veteran's minimum though.

That's why I still don't think he ends up here.

7. HTM

HTM Member

Really? What NBA teams have that kind of space this summer and who values him that highly? Paying anywhere near that much is a big mistake. I see his value as a lot lower..... look at Nerlens Noel.. the market for these kinds of players isn't there.

8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Clutchfans after this trade:

We gave up WAY too much for Deandre, Morey showing how overrated he is.

9. justtxyank

Please. If Morey pulled that off this board would explode. That deal has no chance of happening.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I think the Mavs will dump Noel at the deadline and throw a 4-year/$80 mil offer sheet at CC this summer.

11. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

If the mavs miss out on Boogie, I fully expect them to throw money at anything that sticks. Capela could be a option.

Something we haven't discussed is if we trade for DJ we get his bird rights, right? So his paycut may not be as drastic as a vet min. 10-12m range maybe. We could over the cap to retain him. But idk how would we add George or Bron without them sacrificing as well. I think LeBron may be more willing to take a paycut than Paul George at this point. In order for it to work. DJ, Chris paul come off the books this summer. Sign LeBron or whomever first then you can go over the cap to retain the guys we hold bird rights for. Just a scenario we should consider. Clint is gonna get paid regardless. We won't be able to trade Ryan without a sweetener or we could end up stuck with him again next year. Clint could serve as that sweetener along with a pick or something.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

CP3 and DJ will both have enormous cap holds...keep that in mind when talking about keeping their Bird Rights and going over the cap to re-sign them

Capela has a small cap hold

13. justtxyank

You get cap holds for players on your team that you have bird rights for.

They may be free agents, but they count against your cap for an amount HIGHER than the salary they had this year. With CP3 and DJ as cap holds you'd have ZERO ability to create cap space significant enough to sign a max level free agent without everyone taking big paycuts. I know everyone thinks this is easy, but that's a pretty rare scenario. Even when the Miami guys did it the paycuts were pretty small and they all expected to get it all back.

Cap will be about $100 million.
    Assuming you traded Ryno and Capela for DJ and then he opted out, you'd be left with about $60 million committed to 7 players and then you'd have a LOT of cap holds. At a bare minimum, add close to $5 million in incomplete roster charges.

Now you are $65 million in cap with DJ and CP3 free agents. CP3's cap hold alone is almost $40 million so you HAVE to do his new deal before you can do anything else because his hold alone wipes out your space. So, let's say you renounce Tarik Black, Ariza, Bobby Brown and Mbah a Moute. You then re-sign CP3 and DJ for...what? Even at $15 million each you are now at the salary cap. (just below it) How are you getting Lebron or any other max guy in this scenario?

The cap route is nearly impossible to make work if you add DJ and intend to keep him unless he and CP3 are both taking paycuts down below $10 million. Even then Lebron can't sign for close to his max.

The more realistic scenario to acquire Lebron is via trade, and at $30 million in salary on the books we'd probably HAVE to have a contract like Ryno's to make the numbers work.

14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

VUCCI MANE

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Thank you so much for this post. We are in a tough spot to say the least. We probably won't be getting DJ via trade.

16. BleedsRocketRed

I just cant see it happening though without trading Ryan Anderson. Clippers aren't going to do that, and there isn't another player on this team that would realistically get a deal done for him otherwise. (at least a rotation player)

17. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

LoL who said he needs to block every shot. No one can’t block every shot. I said Clint can block shots but no one is afraid to drive in and attempt to score on him. People don’t even try to go in when Dj is in the paint. Just seems like Capela isn’t really feared. Actually Clint tries to block too many shots and get out off position.

Yes every player loses assignments or gets lost. Capela tries to over help or switch on plays where he can switch back.
    He tries to cover a smaller guy even when his team mate tries to stay with his guy. That results on a mismatch for us and usually and easy score for the opposite player.

I like Capela but when I’m watching the game it’s a bit frustrating. Just like many other things like Harden losing focus or not covering his guy or not seeming interested in the game. Ryan not shooting on open shots or Erick attempting too many but I still prefer a shot attempt than not shooting it and causing a turnover.

Anyway about Capela. Yea he is really good for us for what we paying him right now. But he isn’t great if we planning to go far in the playoffs. Not unless he stops over helping, and over switching. He needs to have better timing at attempting to block and put a body so the other team doesn’t get an easy rebound or put back.

Capela is good for now but if he demands more than we would pay Dj like next season. I would take Dj at a discount if those rumors are true.
    Capela is still developing but he won’t change the way he is. Meaning he won’t go strong, imo I think he will always prefer to lay it up. Dj is more explosive, Capela is long and jumps high but doesn’t have the same explosiveness as Dj. Capela will get stronger and get better in defense and offense for sure.
    But we have a short window for Chris and Harden to try to get a championship. I don’t know if we can wait for Capela.

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Capela has been dunking more this season and dunking hard. Most of his other shots, he has shown that he can make them off the backboard, especially the high arching ones. Jordan doesn't have this kind of move, he can't score off the dribble like Clint can. Unless we get DJ as a back up, i don't want him. There is no window for a championship. Harden has another 5-6 years at his best. Chris is just a complementary player now and that is his best spot at this time in his career. He also has never been in this position before and never played with anyone better than Harden.

19. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea he can dunk he is tall and long. His dunks aren’t that strong though. That’s why he gets blocked by smaller players like I said. Just count the times he gets block, stripped or loses the ball inside the paint and with position to score easily.

We don’t need Capela to score other than dunking and laying it up. Most of his shots are near the rim because of Paul or harden pases. Whenever he tries to do something else it tends to be a turnover or a bad pass.

Capela at least knows his role way better than Dwight ever did. But too many times he is trying to create for his own or switches in defense. If he would stop those two things I wouldn’t be as annoyed. Pretty sure Chris has been frustrated with Clint not finishing those easy passes. Which lead to the other team scoring a couple of times.

I would take Capela if he ask for less than Dj but I’m sure he wants to get paid. And Harden is the one that make him shine more than Capela own plays. Imagine Dj instead finishing all those shots Capela can’t put back or that he gets block on. Even Adams would be better.

Clint does help don’t get me wrong. I just can’t stand it when he tries to do more than he should.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was getting at Morey's likely plan which would be to retain most of the current parts and acquire Lebron for Anderson and whatever salary filler is required ....Capela can be matched , Ariza can be resigned with bird rights but Luc would require all or part of the MLE. What does that leave you to sign DJ with ?! BAE wont work because its use triggers the hard cap and they'd likely be at or above that.

If the target of the offseason is adding a 3rd star while keeping the core intact , signing free agents to contracts other than vet min is all but impossible.

justtxyank likes this.