1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give me one good reason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Gerald Green should be shooting 100% of our 3's.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what your problem is, but if you want to start harassing someone go elsewhere. If you can't simply answer my thread and contribute to the conversation go elsewhere. I'm not going to justify anything I say or do to someone like you, who enjoys attacking people and judging them for their opinions. I've been on this site for years and only had to put one person on ignore. I will just do that with you too if you can't help yourself from being critical of the people making posts or threads. It is one thing to bring up valid debate, but an entirely different thing to just start being rude and obnoxious.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

It's the gravity impact. Think about it....he can hit those. That ALONE makes defenses respect that and come out that far, that's the big issue with Ryno. If he took those and didn't go all pumpfake @RedRedemption loving style ways, and just was firing away....defenses would come out to him, no?

That defense comes out to him, brings incredible spacing for Paul(mid-range master), Harden(top chef finisher) to really chop and screw up any defense.

That's why. Gravity.

SIL

hakeem94 and deb4rockets like this.
  4. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Deb who would you rather have shooting or what alternative do you suggest? Not as many “bad 3s” in general?

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Gordon can create space off the dribble and make half-contested shots (when not in a slump) at a decent clip. Many other higher% shooters cannot make those shots even if they are "on fire". The best offensive possession is of course to run some good plays to create open catch-and-shoot opportunities, but it is easier said to be done. Simply "passing it around" does not create openings or mismatches, but just more chances for turnovers. You need strong one-on-one play forcing help defense, or good pick-and-roll play, or smart off-the-ball screen, etc to get someone wide open. This requires a lot of discipline and energy and skill, and no basketball team ever comes close to do it consistently for every possession. In many cases, the team has to settle for sub-optimal offensive possessions due to well-played defense, clock limit, or simply to save energy. Furthermore, when Gordon is our best offensive player on the court, he often has to make the play. In many situations, it's not possible to trade a 33% Gordon shot for a 39% Ariza shot. This is not mathematics.

hakeem94 and deb4rockets like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just thought the guys who shot a a higher percentage would be more efficient. There are 7 guys with better percentages at 3PT shots than Gordon. But, what everyone seems to be saying is you can't go by stats and percentages. From what those debating this are saying, if I am understanding them correctly is that Gordon't percentage is only lower because he is taking harder shots, and they wouldn't do any better if taking those shots. If that is the case, then I have no alternatives to suggest. I just thought Paul, Green, or Ariza, and even Anderson would score more points than Gordon if taking 10 shots from behind the arc a game like he does.

7. mockster

mockster Member

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

30-11

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Not sure if this is a good reason but at the volume hes shooting them he may become real good at these shots come playoffs. It would be amazing if they start falling in the april may and june

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

OK, well I guess by that answer there is no room for improvement, and Gordon is the one who should be taking the majority of the 3's, even if Ariza, Paul, Green, or anyone else consistently puts more in, and regardless of how close the score is, because we are 30-11.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Nope...there is almost always room for improvement. However, we factually know that the Rockets are 30-11. We have no idea what the Rockets record would be if Gordon shot less or 'smarter'. For all we know, if Gordon shot less, they may be 25-16. In addition Gordon has been thrust into a starter's role the majority of the season rather than his sixth man role. Also, the threat of him taking the 3 pointer allows the very successful driving he has been able to do.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this!

eventhough I don't like his shot selection i absolutely like the freedom he plays with...

some players need freedom to thrive and cant operate well on tight budget

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Rockets offense, green light 3s. Spurs offense, bench.

14. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I already mentioned that you don’t change a good players game like this. If the coaching team go and tell him to stop playing aggressively he’ll be even more broken then you think he is now.

Why would I go elsewhere? You can’t answer my own questions to you and never have so I guess I got my answer.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

The rockets as a team might be up there among the most inconsistent in shooting. Every player who shoots threes is either hot or cold...

Eric is in the top two I trust shooting on the team.

16. JaceMan da SpaceMan

17. Vindicator

Vindicator Rookie

Overrated. Should've kept Lou instead.

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Halfway through the season now and EG still hasn't found his 3pt shot. Starting to get worried if he'll ever get it back.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Time to sell while his stock is still high.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

7-21 tonight...like I said earlier in this thread, Ego is a chucker to me