1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give me one good reason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Jan 13, 2018.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would say he already has.

It's still early enough that one ugly stretch can skew everything. He had a 9 game stretch in November/ Early Dec where he shot 19%, he wasn't hitting s**t.

Before that he was shooting 36%, since then 38%, which is pretty much right in line with his career numbers. In the 3 games before last night he shot 39%. (struggled in the 3 games prior, and was awesome in the 10 games prior to that) You can parse up shooting stretches in whatever way you want to if you are trying to make an argument, but aside from that one really ugly stretch I haven't seen anything that's really worth being concerned about.

ilovehtownbb and D-rock like this.
  2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I think part of the reason he is shooting so much is many times he is the best player on the floor and one of our only guys who can create offense when harden is hurt and cp3 is off the floor. Gordon will never be co3/harden his court vision just isn't on that level. Instead he does what he can to get a bucket. Also when the play breaks down and its late in the shot clock it's gonna be either EG/cp3 trying to create offense whether or not a guy like ariza is shooting a higher percentage doesn't really matter. Only certain guys on the floor are going to be isolated shooting 3s.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand what you are saying if you believe Gordon is a better 3PT shooter than everyone else on the team, but honestly, the numbers would speak differently. Not just this year, or even December, but the entire season. It doesn't matter who is on the floor with him. He still takes more 3's than anyone other than Harden.

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I didn't say he is a better 3pt shooter but I do believe he is a better 3 point shooter when iso'd. I mean the offense breaks down a lot, we are missing the best offensive player in the game. Gordon is one of the guys you want taking those shots, and you damn sure don't want guys taking those shots that are scared to take them. Iso ariza is a disaster. Tucker? No. Green right now id give him the green light as well but who knows how long that will last. Who else is there? Our second unit is super depleted.

So since ariza is shooting a better 3 point percentage than harden, when harden gets back should we have ariza Iso 3s at the top of the key instead of harden?

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think I would rather see the ball passed around more and less iso ball. Maybe Gordon is better at iso, but that wasn't my point. Let's move it around more, and into the hands of guys wide open, or into the hands of guys who are in a groove, or hitting those 3's at a higher percentage. It just seems like smarter ball to me. I guess you disagree with my thread, but honestly, I still can't see the benefit of him taking the most 3's.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

But you used the logic that higher percentage shooters should take more shots. By that logic ariza should shoot more threes than harden. I don't fully disagree with what you are saying, and the offense should take a dip with harden out but we are still scoring like 117 points a game. "Moving the ball around" is great but to who? Have you seen ariza/Tucker/Anderson put the ball on the floor? It's not always pretty. Our offense should look smoother when luc comes back though

7. rockpileindisma

Checking the box score stats and then Trying to divvy out shot attempts for the next game is r****ded. Our guys just need to lock up on D and continue to ball out on offense and wait for harden/luc to get back.

RiceRockets likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You are really exaggerating my point by saying I am asking to divvy out shots after looking at the box score. I just get tired of seeing it game after game after game after game after game. This was going on long before James got hurt. I just don't find it logical. I just asked for one good reason to make me feel differently is all.

9. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

He’s been taking more bad shots this year then last, but then again, he was shooting much bettter last year. This year, his shots aren’t “good” shots cuz they aren’t going in. If they go in more consistently we wouldn’t be talking about this

deb4rockets and hakeem94 like this.
  10. mockster

mockster Member

goodbye splash Gordon, hello Flash Gordon

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You may not consider this a "good" reason, but it's the reason, nonetheless, imso.

Corner 3s are the best looks, but because of that, defenses focus on taking those away. So statistically, all teams shoot the least from the corners. Now, since they are the easiest, you put your lessor shooters there, and you put your elite shooting at the break and above. Spreading the floor such that the easiest shooting spots (but, that are harder for the offense to generate) are given to the Ariza's, Luc's, Tucker, Bev (of last year), and manning the statistically harder shooting spots (but, easier to generate) with your elite shooters in strong-side action and weakside spots above the break, you bring up the ORtg of the whole team.

With the goal to bring up the ORtg of the team as a whole, the elite shooters shoot more, but harder shots, and the lessor shooters, shoot less, but easier shots.

Hence, Ariza has led the league in Corner 3s for something ridiculous like 5 years running.

That's the offense wrt who shoots and from where and at what volume/rate. I don't really think this "reason/good reason" is up for debate.

12. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Here are 2 reasons: The coach has game plan and allows it. And you are not the coach.

RiceRockets likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sounds like you prefer the GSW offense. Rockets offense is based on PnR and iso because MDA wants HOF point on floor every minute of game to initiate the play.

14. rockpileindisma

Box score fans are the worst. Spot up 3 point shooters are not the same as guys who get their shot off the dribble.

ilovehtownbb and RiceRockets like this.
  15. photojoe

photojoe Member

The Rockets give the green light to people to shoot 3's. They tell their players to shoot the 3 if they have it open and a lot of games they will win by the sheer volume of 3s taken and made even if it is at a lower percent than the other team that takes less at a higher percent

I have enjoyed watching Gordon shoot those much more than when we were watching Brewer and Smith taking them

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Well, those points are valid. I guess all Clutch Fans posts are meaningless though with that logic, since none of us are the coach.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I guess the biggest difference is that Brewer and Smith never took near as many 3's in every single game.

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

True

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Thanks for answering my question without being a jerk. I don't know enough about all the reasoning behind some of what we do, but love watching the Rockets play. As a fan, I was really getting frustrated with what I thought was simply ball hogging in a detrimental type of way. That actually gives me a better understanding of why, even if it seems a little excessive to me in respect to others taking the shots more frequently.

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I had a question, and wasn't hating on players as many "fans" do in the threads. To me, those are the worst kinds of fans.