1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want an italian greyhound puppy - where to look?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jan 11, 2018.

1. theimpossibles1

Preach.

Watch a few YouTube videos of dogs being/waiting to be adopted. Then I challenge you to buy from a breeder.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Ill take everyones advice and head to a shelter first. Looking for either a italian greyhound or whippet if they have one. Hopefully they do.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Tounge meet cheek

4. distence

distence Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Dude, this **** isn't funny. I'll hoard dogs if I watch it.

SIL

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Another piece of advice when you go to the shelters, is to foster the dogs before you adopt. That way you can get to know the temperament of the dog and see if yall are compatible. Youll probably fall in love with a dog not even close to the breed of the sighthounds. Good luck.

OmegaSupreme and B-Bob like this.
  7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why would anyone get a dog when you can just get a cat? Or a goldfish?

8. Asian Sensation

Excuse my ignorance but what’s the difference between buying from a breeder and paying an “adoption fee” from shelters, humane societies etc?

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dogs that are in shelters and humane societies are in desperate need of homes. They may have come from an abused home, or been abandoned, or might never even have had a home. They may be in danger of putting down also. The adoption fee you are paying to a reputable shelter is hopefully going to go towards helping future dogs. They charge this so people can't come in and adopt any dogs they wish for various twisted reasons. They want to make sure that if someone is willing to pay a few hundred dollars to adopt, that they will be able to provide a good home to the dog also.

Money going towards breeders is going to go straight into their pockets. If you do decide to purchase just make sure the breeder is really reputable, do some research. Make sure you are not paying someone that is running a straight up puppy mill.

IMO there are so many dogs in the world that need a home, why not get one of them? Instead of paying for one and only encouraging breeders to breed even more dogs.

Please volunteer at a shelter a couple of times and see how you can make one of those dogs happy by providing a home. It'll make you feel awesome too!

10. Asian Sensation

^^^
    Thank you for the wonderful insight.

R0ckets03 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  11. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Oh man, I can't even foster. I did that, ended up trying to adopt the next morning. My complex fought me, even went to small court, cause I exceeded dog limits. I tried though.

I found him a loving home. I spoke his great life into existence. Little Woofie was not a looker, by any means. But was such a happy fella, he's now chilling in the Hamptons lol. His owner is some hedge fund presidents daughter. Woofie is an international traveler.

SIL

R0ckets03 likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Might look into Italy. Just an idea.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

get a boy and name him walter

Exiled likes this.
  14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Any more leads? Went to two adoption centers and didnt have a connection with any so far

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Were they sighthound rescue centers? If you work with a rescue organization, it may take a few weeks or even months, but you'll end up with your pup in the end. Worth the wait!

R0ckets03 and heypartner like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Don't force the connection, you'll just tell when they see you. Then you're like alright, buddy, you're mine. Get in the truck boy(or girl), and let's get you some food, go to the vet, get you leash, etc.

And for the love of god dude, please don't get this dog on an impulse. Nothing I've read has made me confident otherwise.

SIL

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nailed it.

19. Asian Sensation

Really? Even a French bulldog?

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This actually happens all the time with various breeds of dogs. Lots of dogs are not made for distances and basically run until their heart bursts. This is also why when you see someone pulling a dog along while they are riding a bike you should clothesline them off the bike.

B-Bob and SirIvyLeague like this.