1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mid-Season NBA Award Picks: James Harden edges LeBron for MVP. For now.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jan 11, 2018.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Looking forward to Harden coming in 2nd once again

Ozzy, DonKnock, Sajan and 2 others like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

Ozzy and DonKnock like this.
  3. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

YahooSPORTS
    NFL is still No. 1 sport in America, but basketball > baseball ... and soccer rises

Mid-Season NBA Award Picks: James Harden edges LeBron for MVP. For now.

Kurt Helin
    NBC Sports•Jan 11, 2018, 11:00 AM
    [​IMG]

We’ve reached that point.

Nothing is decided yet, this is more like a horse race that is just coming out of the backstretch and starting the sweeping turn towards the finish line — a lot of things can change, and there will be players making late runs at some of these awards.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER" data-reactid="38" style="margin-top: 0.8em;">MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

Kurt Helin: James Harden
    Two players have separated themselves from everyone else in this race for me — James Harden and LeBron James. Right now I’d give Harden the edge. The Rockets’ guard’s insane efficiency — not just scoring, but with more assists, fewer turnovers — gives him a slight edge. That said, durability is part of this award and with Harden likely out for a while with a hamstring issue LeBron could (and likely will) take over the top spot before season’s end. I’d have Giannis Antetokounmpo third and then things open up.

Dan Feldman: James Harden
    Nobody has ever neared Harden’s combination of usage and efficiency. Like last year, he’s a big-time distributor, but now he has his turnovers under control. His injury absence will hurt his year-end case, making it more likely LeBron James — who’s not far behind — overtakes him. But, so far, Harden is MVP." data-reactid="40" style="margin-top: 0.8em;">Dan Feldman: James Harden
    Nobody has ever neared Harden’s combination of usage and efficiency. Like last year, he’s a big-time distributor, but now he has his turnovers under control. His injury absence will hurt his year-end case, making it more likely LeBron James — who’s not far behind — overtakes him. But, so far, Harden is MVP.

Dane Carbaugh: James Harden
    I’m not really sure how it can be anyone else. Harden has been magnificent for the Rockets this season as the team has steadily climbed up the ladder in the Western Conference. They look like legitimate contenders this year for a Western Conference Finals run, and Harden has played well both beside Chris Paul and as they take over duties alternating in the rotation for

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cute.

"Harden is the MVP at midseason, but *wink wink* don't worry we'll vote for Lebron at year's end."

Fyreball, RiceRockets, Ozzy and 10 others like this.
  5. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

*Cut to end of season*

"While Harden had a firm grip on the award for much of the year, we have to go with Lebron here. Despite Harden averaging more points and assists for a team that won more games in a more difficult conference, we simply cannot deny Lebron doing what he's doing in his 15th season. Lebron is your MVP, and moves one step closer to Michael Jordan's legacy"

I can see it now...

7. macan

macan Member

don't worry guys, the medias have already found their narrative to not give MVP to Harden this year again..."he misses too many games this season." we'll give the MVP to Lebrick!

DonKnock, s3ts, mario_v and 1 other person like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Same story, new scenery.

Ozzy, DonKnock, Invisible Fan and 3 others like this.
  9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

And so he should be the MVP favourite

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Get ready for the BAY AREA scribes (Haynes, Amick, Spears etc) to begin their STEPH CURRY MVP push. It is coming.

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Some chumps going to vote for Durant over Lebron or Harden. I already see it.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Harden gonna win finals mvp...

Ozzy, CCity Zero, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

the Cavs have had so many straight up embarrassing losses

losing to the Kings, getting annihilated by the Wolves, and now getting destroyed by Toronto without Lowry or Ibaka among others

Lebron’s MVP bid should be taking major hits...

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I've been wanting to scale back my whining for Harden and the MVP since the disappointing loss to the Celtics, but Lebron is taking these soul-crushing losses left and right. Harden building his case while on the shelf.

Harden was MVP at mid-season last year in many eyes too if I remember...

#15 DreamShook, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Mazulis, Ozzy, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Many were already saying, "if Westbrook averages a tri-dub". Plus, james' efficiency worsened with his late-season wrist injury.

Local radio said Harden felt great yesterday after shooting around and almost had to be dragged off the court. If he feels good now, I'd give him two more weeks for return since soft tissue is tender. He's already missed FIVE games and two more weeks would equal 13-15. High-60s total GP for Harden would be sufficient

Another great thing is Toronto. They passed Cleveland for the #2 seed. If they hold LeBron to 3rd and Rockets stay 2nd (and Harden's production doesn't fall much), his path should be smooth sailing.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Media has proven that there is no such thing as "smooth sailing" when it comes to Harden's MVP chances. We'll see what narrative gymnastics they come up with come March/April.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Harden has the best case. Right now I think there are 3 guys you could make a case for -- Harden, LeBron, Curry.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Right now, Curry hasn't played enough games - only 28 of 42 --- Harden is 35 of 40.

I believe Harden's previous runner-ups will help him this year. Cleveland having a worse record and lower seed only makes it easier. The worse OKC is, the better, because it makes last year seem even more a screw job. Many will be guilted into shame. Harden just needs 66 GP, 29 PER, and #2 seed, IMO. Sixty-six is normally a low total, but the runner-ups will come into play.

The sig is truth.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just saw the latest MVP rankings on NBA.com and they had

1. KD
    2. Kyrie
    3. Harden
    4. Curry
    5. Derozan
    6. Lebron

o_O

DonKnock likes this.