1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire Brian Gaine as GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 10, 2018.

?

Do you like the hiring of Brian Gaine?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2018.
  1. Yes

19.1%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. Who cares, as long as Bob & Cal are around.

27.9%
  4. Abstain

27.9%
  1. Buck Turgidson

Bingo.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And or norwell I think his name is from Carolina.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I expected, BOB is now the GM on top of being the HC and OC, this is why Rick Smith suggested that he'd be back. They gave control of everything to BOB and fired most of the assistant coaches which IMO is nothing more than giving him the rope to hang himself because now he won't have anyone else to blame for his failure. When BOB screws everything up in a few years, Rick Smith will come back to try and pick up the pieces.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Gaine was FIRED by Rick Smith. This doesn’t bode well Rick Smith coming back for as anything but as a Executive VP( if at all). This is a BoB guy.

Roc Paint and Nimo like this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Why wouldn't it matter? You get the chance to see guys, how they practice, and start your draft board. It is obviously important to their process.

Again, if they wanted the door open for Rick Smith; Gaines is not the hire. OBrien gets his extension and gets his GM. He is ahead in the coach vs GM right now.

I don't care who the GM is as long as he does a better job than Rick. But it is so annoying people still trying to dump everything wrong on Rick Smith based on speculation.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Say it louder for those in the back

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....and when BOB screws up as the de facto GM McNair will fire BOB and the guy that technically has the GM title......and then he'll bring back Rick Smith. That's why you make a move like this, you set it up to fire everyone in a few years if BOB continues to be a failure as a coach and if he fails as GM.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

9. showa13

showa13 Member

The only hope is that Deshaun continues to be Deshaun and is so good he overcomes all of this. He has the ability to

Roc Paint and Von Rafer like this.
  10. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

No need to get abrasive about it. I'm not trying to be annoying.

I see your point about it decreasing the chances of Rick coming back, and I'm with you in that I'm glad it's someone other than Rick. Had the team done a thorough search and ultimately picked Gaines, I'd feel a lot better than interviewing only 2 internal guys, both of whom reported directly to Rick at some point. With Rick still on the payroll as a VP, it just smells bad...the whole thing.

Really hope Gaines is the right pick and that he kicks ass. I'll have doubts until there is no longer reason to doubt it.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Another 5-10 years of mediocrity.

Texans football at it's best. Thanks a lot, Bob McNair.

Nook likes this.
  12. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

This exactly, Deshaun needs to be transcendent and our other stars need to age well.

13. Nook

Nook Member

What a classic Texans move.

I also find it funny that the Texans are claiming Gaine will have final say and only answer to McNair and his nitwit son. Right...

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

My bad. I was reacting to some other posts in my response to yours.

I don't want any GM other than Rick Smith. I want one better. I am one of those who think you can actually do worse than Rick did. Its hard for me to figure out who is a really good GM and who isnt in football. The coaching staff is so important and they can make GMs look better or worse than they really are. I don't know if Gaines is going to be an improvement but I hope he is. The Texans are long overdue.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Watson may be the messiah, but if he is anything less we are in for more tail chasing.

It's really night and day in this town. 2 of the most forward thinking, ahead of the curve franchises is all of sports. Teams that make moves to win a championship, not win a few games. Then there's the Texans, that feel like it's merely reacting to stuff year to year, reveling in it's own consistent mediocrity.

16. conquistador#11

Rick smith was a kubiak guy brought in by Kubiak. But in the end, the Mcnair lifestyle was too tempting. The red blazer, the seersucker suits, they will turn anyone. Smith's loyalty changed.
    Right before your eyes, they brought in Wade for Kubiak because Kubiak was too loyal to his staff.

Then, Ed reed was a Texan, after the embarrassment game in NE for the playoffs. no one told Wade that move was going to happen.

Years later, a certain coach, for two seasons, decides to bring in gap qbs& new england leftovers. Any time the mic was available Mcnair wanted his franchise qb and he wanted it now. Coincidentally Brock becomes a Texan.

forward a year,
    A few weeks before the draft, local media reports BOB hasno interest to pursuit a qb in the draft because he's eyeing leaving the texans.
    texans trade up and grab superbowl 2020 mvp Watson.

Mcnair has been known to orchestrate things. There is proof of that . if there is something Mcnair wants, Gaine will have to make a choice, plomo or red blazer.

As for rick, I liked him. He only meddled when there was a need to. He left with acquiring that franchise QB Mcnair had openly been asking for,
    a position that coach o'brian was neglecting is his wait for a TB12 replica to walk through that door.

Cancer is a disease that makes one question their own existence. I'm almost positive he felt guilty for even thinking about football while his loved one was/ is going through that. People with twitter check marks want to act like Smith was fired.

That said, I never liked that contracts could not be discussed during the season or the pissing match with duane or letting go of the gems. I would have kept Brock as a backup in order to not give up that 2nd rounder.
    Hopefully the philosophy of contract negotiation changes. If watson can stay healthy, Rick smith should never have to pay for a tailor in this city.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Guess that 'new era' of Texans football lasted only a week or so. :D

Oh, that foolish homer deleted it but the internet never forgets!

[​IMG]

CometsWin and Mr. Clutch like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, things will still be very different now that BOB got a promotion to de facto GM.....but I think that change is likely to be a negative change.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Hell guys maybe he’s actually good at his job! I mean I get this whole situation has been annoying but I will give him a chance to prove himself before craping on the move

Roc Paint and Nimo like this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Anyone who us here when Deshaun gets back, gets to keep their job.