1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Mirotic Worth a First Round Draft Pick? Would you trade Ariza/Black/FRP for him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballscientist1, Jan 10, 2018.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

The problem with Mirotic is he hasn't shown any signs of being a good complementary player.

He puts up really good numbers on losing teams when Rose, Butler or Wade were injured or this year while they have no one, but whenever the Bulls had one of those ball dominant players, his play would nosedive. He hasn't shown ability to be a good spot up shooter or complementary role player but he is not good enough to be the main player either.

I wouldn't be that excited about giving up any major pieces for him given that we have cp3 and harden

2. lionaire

lionaire Member

Sure. They just need to throw in Lauri and we'll give up Ryno.

3. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I don´t think you could call Mirotic a shooter. Despite his % this year, his lack of spacing was one of the first issues for the bulls last year.

And we need a shooter at the 4, so for me, not.

4. basketballholic

Trade leaves us at about the same level but a lit more flexible this summer.

5. basketballholic

Don't need Rubio with Paul. But......Jazz And Rubio could use Anderson if they fail to get Mirotic.

6. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Mentally weak? check

Hated by his teammates? check

Afraid to shoot the ball? check

D-rock, seeingred and malakas like this.
  7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Leaves us worse.

Ryan and mirotic are practically the same player. Ryan has been in a slump and mirotic has been hot.

Expect Ryan’s numbers to progress while mirotic regresses to the mean.

Robin Lopez and capela are even defensively. Even though I know you are going to say capela is bad and robin lopez is way better, which is wrong.

Even if, if, IIFFFF....., I were to agree and say robin is better defensively what you never seem to give credit to capela for is his elite fit in this offense. His elite efficiency and how vital he is to our offense with his verticality.

Ryan’s stretches the defense out, but capela stretches the defense “up”.

Even if, again IF, you grade RoLo better than capela defensively capela our grades rolo offensively much more.

This would be a losing trade making us worse just to make us worse this year with “slightly” better flexibility.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets will be worse this season, but it would open up some financial flexibility if you can move Lopez for less salary this off season. Still, you are giving up your only real assets (Capela and #1) for possible cap savings this summer.

Overall I don't think the deal helps the Rockets enough. The Rockets need to push GS if they want to add someone elite this summer.

Yeah.

If everything goes well this summer and someone like James or George want to join the Rockets, they will need every asset possible to clear cap space.

9. Rockets4Life13

Same can be said about anderson but much worse. Well he’s prob not hated by his teammaes because he’s a good guy.

If we can somehow get mirotic for anderson and 2nd I‘m in.

10. Rockets4Life13

I don’t know anything about RoLo tbh because i never ever watch bulls games because they stink. But if the main goal is to beat the warriors, capela is not our guy. He is really really good against any other team but continues to stink against the warriors whenever we face them. If RoLo is any good against the warriors... maybe it’s worth it

11. malakas

malakas Member

Anderson is more ...stable in his perfomance than Mirotic.
    Plus there are serious questions marks on his work ethic since he hasn't improved on his skills or body ever since he came over.

If you want to get rid of Anderson's salary for an expiring contract then that would be great, but perfomance wise with Mirotic this team will be worse.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Would I trade Anderson for Mirotic? Of course, but that isn't happening.

Also, it is debatable historically as to which is worse, Anderson has shown he can be a role player and isn't selfish. Mirotic hasn't shown that ability at all. Defensively they are a wash..... Mirotic isn't very good either.

malakas likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I am not the biggest Capela fan, I would certainly deal him in the right situation. However, the struggles of Capela against the Warriors are overstated. If Capela had an above average PF next to him; I suspect the "struggles" Capela has would largely go away. Also, Lopez is not as good a defender as Capela is (even with Capela not being all that special defensively himself).

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but we don't have any contract we want to trade, and Bulls don't want Anderson.

It's simply a tradeoff of some shooting for some ability to pump fake and slash with some degree of athleticism and coordination. If Mirotic learns how to dish while doing that (since he is going to be open a LOT), he could be a nicer fit and a more balanced piece than Anderson >> which would reduce our inconsistency hopefully.

Mirotic plays well. He's not a better defender than Anderson, but he has been in a crappy organization. Who knows how his motivation could help his career. I think he could develop into a similar shooter as Anderson and holding a team option is fantastic.

Still, I don't think we can pull it off. We can't get rid of Anderson without the pick, and we can't get Mirotic without a harmless contract + a pick.

15. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek: This post is ban-worthy.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Having said that, my favorite non-superstar target is James Johnson from the Heat. I think he has exactly the right skills to add a new dimension to our team without needing to be a superstar. I see him being a passer inside and bringing some toughness to the team. Needs to improve his shot but he would be a useful Diaw-like player to use against the Warriors.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  17. basketballholic

Mirotic is much better defensively and has a handle and can drive and finish or kick. Lopez is better than Capela defensively, a downgrade offensively.

It would be a last resort deal if something better didn't work out. Lopez on a $13 million expiring much easier to move than Anderson.

18. basketballholic

No. Just the pick from Capela deal.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

There is pretty much no way the Rockets trade (their own) first round pick in any trade deadline deal.

Right now, the earliest first rounder the Rockets could trade is their 2020 pick. But then what? Once the offseason hits, the Rockets would not be able to offer any of their own first rounders until at least 2022. Meanwhile, if they just wait until immediately after the 2018 NBA Draft, they could trade a (non-consecutive) future pick as early as their own 2019 first rounder.

In order for the Rockets to make the moves necessary to add Lebron James (or another top star) this summer, they will need to hold onto all of their first round picks this season.

Deuce, Nook, baller4life315 and 4 others like this.
  20. Rockets4Life13

I havent paid too much attention to mirotic and stuff but whenever i see him play i see that he can do a lot of thins pretty good. He‘s a decent 3 pt shooter and way more athletic than anderson(well, who isn’t tbh) We need a little more athleticism on this team. Tbh a g-league scrub could contribute as much as anderson lately. If he gets out if his now 15? Game slump and starts contributing atleast something, im fine to keep him until we find something better than mirotic. But right now, mirotic would be an upgrade imo.