1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquiring Gerrit Cole?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 8, 2018.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Agreed. I know Martes has lost some of his shine, but I still think he has a talented arm. With that said, I include him in a deal to get Archer, but Cole just doesn't do it for me. He's been more name/hype than production the last few years.

Houstunna and mikol13 like this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You answered my question before I asked it...was gonna ask about his contract. If that's all it is, there's no way I'd want the Astros to part with either of those 2 guys...not for a guy like Cole.

4. conquistador#11

i like being in the conversation for all of these guys even if we don't plan on getting any.
    let's start a new trend 7 man rotation. Unbeetabol!

Verlander
    Dallas
    Archer
    darvesh
    cole
    Lance
    Morton

It'll be that easy. I don't like giving up tucker or whitley though.

5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros aren't going to trade Tucker who was drafted 5th overall for Gerrit Cole. Cole's numbers haven't been that great and if you're going to trade Tucker, it better be for a top 10 starter in the game today. You just don't trade a guy like that for someone like Cole.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Tucker/Whitley...no chance we're moving either one for Cole. Cole has been injured and inconsistent. He's fine, not great. (To the question above, adding McCutchen does nothing for me in terms of adding Tucker or Whitley to the deal. He rebounded, but he's on the downswing of his career, is a corner OF now, and is expensive.)

I'd take Cole for a Fisher-centered package or a Martes-centered package. If both....I'd expect something more back from Pitt (though not massive).

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with everyone, no way Tucker or Whitley should be in play for Cole. I’d be ok with a 3 prospect package headlined by Fisher and Martes but that’s a big cost and Pittsburgh should be happy with that considering Cole really hasn’t been that good lately.

Cole really doesn’t solve the Keuchel problem except for 1 year. Don’t really see that as worthwhile. Would much rather have Archer or Darvish.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

1 year $14.5M.

No. If they move Tucker, has to be for long-term solution.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He was great first 2 times through the order last season. Pretty sure Astros can live with a guy that can throw 200 innings moderately effectively in regular season and be highly effective in 5 inning starts in the postseason.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep; and Cole is arbitration eligible these next two years - he's not going to necessarily be cheap.

Joe Joe likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They have a good closer last time I checked. Just saying.

kaleidosky likes this.
  13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Yea, I'd love Felipe Rivero.

RedNation likes this.
  14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Tucker has that elite ceiling as a 5 tool player. Astros brass will not gamble that potential for a middle of the rotation starter. Whitley is a Ryan favorite and when Nolan is in your corner the player on the other side of the trade better be a stud. Jeff Passan is overrating Cole or he is clueless on Astros front office. The reason he heard Fishers name is because that's as good as it's going to get in terms of quality prospect, which I'll add might be too much based on Coles last two seasons. Fisher has a very impressive MiLB resume and he is dirt cheap.

I'd pass...

vince likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You'd pass if Fisher was the only quality prospect?

I think you'd have to make that deal if he could get it done. Fisher still has plenty of question marks to warrant everyday playing time... he has speed, but is a terrible OF.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

What would you include for Archer?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's a different type of scenario. Still under club control for 4 years.

He'd require a marquee type prospect... I'd start with a package centered around Martes, while holding on to Tucker/Whitley.

kaleidosky likes this.
  18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Fisher just screams AAAA player to me. Trade him while he has value. One more season at the MLB level will lower his value, IMO.

19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'd pass on Cole as a headline starter. If the Pirate want Fisher and say 2 other guys not rated as I high and the staff thinks they can correct Cole's current issues then I'd be happy with that trade. My point isn't fisher is better than Cole, I just believe if the Astros are going for a "frontline starter" as Passan stated, then Cole isn't on my personal list. That's what I meant when I said I'd pass.

I'd rather Archer, Jake the snake, or even Yu if you want to add a frontline starter. Personally I think we have the starting pitching. JV, DK, Uncle Charlie, Lance McCullers, Peacock, McHugh and several young arms. What we need is a stone cold left out of the pen. Save Fisher and other prospects for the season. Then find out which lefty is having a year that is worth trading for. Pen guys can be very flakey from season to season.

Remember the Astros will need the money to sign the greatest Astro ever because it's going to take several brinks trucks to keep the MVP. Then bring up the young talent to replace Marwin, and Dallas next year so you can sign at least Springer or Correa before they hit the market.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would give up Tucker for Chris Archer. He is 29 with 4 years left at 34 million. He is a fairly consistent 200 innings a year guy which Keuchel has only done twice.

Keuchel will cost close to 100 million bucks for the next 4 seasons. ( Last year of arbitration and probably 27 million or more per year after that). That extra 60 plus million you save with Archer goes a long way in keeping Altuve and Correa.