1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquiring Gerrit Cole?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 8, 2018.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

UPDATE 11:15 AM 1/10:

Update 2:

#1 tellitlikeitis, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    BigMaloe, kaleidosky, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wait, I thought they would not settle for anything less than Altuve or Correa as centerpieces.

Hemo_jr and texans1095 like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It definitely is thread-worthy, in my opinion. I was coming to the board to start it and didn't see it.

Very interesting ... I'm curious to see what it will end up costing.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Then we won't be trading for Cole.

2 years of control, coming off 2 not so impressive seasons, his value isn't as high as they want. Look at what the A's got for 2.5 years of Gray for approximate value.

5. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Wouldn't mind a package centered around Fisher. However, a package centered around Tucker or Whitley would be a different story. Can't imagine those guys would be involved in a trade for anyone other than a bonafide ace. Cole is a really solid #2/3 but he's nowhere near a bonafide ace.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

How good is Cole at this point? With the inability to spend with the big boys I don’t think I’m willing to part with Tucker or Whitley for him.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Astros most likely aren't including Tucker or Whitley in any potential deals for Cole. That being said, I think they'd be more inclined to part with Tucker first.

Whitley is definitely the guy that everyone wants in a potential blockbuster... and the guy they're not getting.

texans1095 likes this.
  8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

NEXT! Cole has two yrs left on his contract so the whole point of adding a high-end starter as insurance for Keuchel, Morton & Verlander who become free agents over the next two years becomes lost.

Darvish or Arrieta! Keep Whitley as a back of the rotation starter for 2019.
    Keep Tucker as the 2019 left fielder or at worst a 425k equivalent to replace Reddick when he hits free agency in 2-3 years.

2019- Darvish or Arrieta/Verlander/ McCullers/Keuchel or Morton/Whitley

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Nice....chatter starting to heat up since Jim Crane's comments.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Tucker or Whitley are too much IMO for a guy that has been pretty average the last 2 seasons, and only has 2 years of team control left.

11. juicystream

Can you move the other posts related to this from the Offseason thread?

Martes + Fisher + Davis

That is probably as aggressive an offer as I'd give up.

vince, Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Tucker was made available. Whitley, on the other hand, is likely completely off-limits.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty sure every possible trade involving the Astros will be "leaked" by opposing teams looking for Tucker/Whitley.

If they stood pat with their untouchable 4 at this year's trade deadline... you best be assured they're standing pat with the same untouchables, unless they're getting a crack at a sure-fire ace with many years of club control.

BigMaloe, vince, kaleidosky and 2 others like this.
  14. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

That's too rich for my blood. Losing the next 5 or 6 years of Martes isn't worth an average SP of Cole. I'd be ok with the centerpiece being Derek Fisher, not much more for only 2 years of Cole. Fisher would be a great replacement in the OF after they trade McCutchen.

15. juicystream

Who were the other 2 untouchables?

16. juicystream

The hardest part of losing Martes for me is that right now he is exactly what a team needs with the frequency of injury in the starting rotation. A guy we can shuffle into the rotation and possibly be as good or better than the guy he is replacing.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Presumably Martes and Perez... and Perez was finally dealt post trade deadline for Verlander.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd be surprised... unless there's something we don't know about that is limiting Tucker's upside.

He was a higher pick, has conquered each level with a slightly less Correa-like pace, and the Astros do need a corner OF in the upcoming years.

I really would rather they trade neither of them... unless they get a guy that's just too highly coveted and they need to make the best possible offer.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The interesting thing to me is that there is a line in the sand somewhere. A point by which the player to get in question is a big enough prize to warrant considering Tucker/Whitley in a trade. We just dont know where that is or what the pecking order of priorities/player attributes looks like in the mind(s) of the brass. Maybe they even have a list of players that qualify.

One would think anything involving Whitley would mandate a pitcher in return.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Would you guys be down for a Fisher + Tucker +Martes for Cole and McCutchen? No idea on McCutchens contract. Just an Idea.

edwardc likes this.