1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ROOT Sports] Vue, Sling, Directv Now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MystikArkitect, Dec 11, 2016.

1. MystikArkitect

Anyone cut the chord yet? Contract is up with Directv and signed up for PlayStation Vue which works great save for a few things. Looks like cutting the chord will create blackout issues with the Rockets. Don't mind paying for NBA league pass but still won't work due to the blackout rules right?

Another issue with streaming is that it's almost a full minute delay vs regular broadcast. Following a game on Twitter or here on CF is almost impossible unless you catch up during commercial. Anyone have any insight on this? Also CBS is not on Vue yet so NFL broadcasts are a no go on that channel.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I made the same move as you right after Thanksgiving. Root Sports, as far as I know, is totally MIA on all streaming services. Including DirecTV Now even though they're under the same AT&T umbrella. Really makes me wish that the Rockets would've just stayed with Fox Sports SW. Fox Sports Go has been streaming for awhile now and is available on both Vue and DirecTV Now.

As of a couple of weeks ago, NFL games broadcasted on CBS are now streaming live via the CBS All Access app. Subscription is $5.99 a month and the picture quality is inferior to Vue, but it works fine enough. The best solution would be using an OTA antenna for CBS if you can, but for some reason I can pickup over 50 channels with an antenna but CBS (KHOU 11) just doesn't come through. And I don't care enough to install an outdoor antenna. FWIW, CBS is said to be coming soon to Vue. So hopefully we get it before the NFL season is over.

As for the delay, it just is what it is. Nothing can really be done about that.

I'm definitely open to ideas for catching Rockets games though if there's any floating out there.

MystikArkitect and ramotadab like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I just find online streams on my browser. Not great but it works

You can also try Kodi but I find the sports streams freeze all the time

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What is the deal with this? I installed antenna's in both of my grandmothers rooms in the nursing home, in my parents two campers and in a friends "man barn" and we cannot get Channel 11 on any? All HD antennas are in the 50-60 mile range and all who have them installed live around 20 miles from the station.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No idea. Weak broadcast signal I guess.

6. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Bump

My Xfinity / Comcast contract is coming due soon and I was looking into options. I'm currently looking at Playstation Vue since you can watch up to 5 devices at the same time (Sling only allows 1 device at a time).

A friend in Dallas told me he has Playstation Vue and he gets Fox Sports Southwest. So i checked the website, and yep, Dallas people get Fox Sports Southwest (put in Dallas or 75202 as zip code location) for the Core package at only $45!! But Houston doesn't get AT&T Sportsnet Southwest??? WTF!?!

So my question is: as a Rockets/Astros fan, have you cut the cord? Are you enjoying it? Are you watching the Rockets?

I want to cut the cord so bad, i hate Xfinity, DirecTV, etc. and want to leave them

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Cord has been cut for me since 2014, using Sling TV + powered network antenna. Rockets were hit or miss for me using various streams for a while, but this year I got the new Fire TV dongle and added VPN ($10/mo), and a generous friend lets me use his League Pass login. It's been much better than relying on streams/kodi etc.

TMac'n likes this.
  8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

What will you use for ISP? Do you have Uverse in your area? Windstream? I've heard lots of bad reviews about Windstream as an ISP.
    (Anyone on CF with Windstream internet, how's that going for you? I might have to start a separate thread for that).

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You can subscribe to international league pass + vpn and watch all the rockets games + all other nba games too.

10. TMac'n

Probably Xfinity. They have upto 150mbps for $59.99, and that's possibly the most reasonable price for that speed. So unfortunately I wont be able to completely ditch them

11. TMac'n

I heard League Pass International is like $300. And I won't be able to watch the Astros either. Don't think that's worth it

Also, I found this while doing some research

http://www.multichannel.com/news/sports/wave-broadband-files-fcc-complaint-over-comcast-rsns/417191

Maybe we will be seeing AT&T Sportsnet on Sling/DirecTV Now/Playstation Vue soon

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Wouldn't hold my breathe on it :(

Streaming rights on these regional sports channels varies between agreements with the league and channel. The fact that DirectTV Now doesn't have their own regional sports network that THEY own is dumb.

I'm using streaming sports service you can find out there that is between $8-17/month that includes all sports stuff....

TMac'n likes this.
  13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Just find out the price after promo pricing. They jump up pretty significantly. 50/60 Mbps non-promo pricing is 60-70 bucks or something.

TMac'n likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

I’m officially “off” of every TV provider and have the Netflix/Prime/Hulu trifecta. I also watch stuff on YouTube.

I stream the games on my Samsung TV but when the streams are down I just don’t watch or do something else. Love the Rockets and if they offered me a la carte Id gladly pay it. But they’re trying to strong arm folks into something they don’t need.

Screw em.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I just dropped Directv for Directv Now (I got the Go Big plan). I have an old Winegard outside TV antenna setup in my attic where I simply disconnected the DTV lines and connected them to a 4-way splitter for OTA HDTV. I use TitanTV (http://titantv.com) for the program guide. For streaming, I have two Roku boxes and two Roku 3600R streaming sticks connected thru Spectrum Internet. I'm saving over $180 monthly due to dropping Directv. Directv Now is basically Directv in a streaming format with a few limitations. The onscreen guide is nowhere near as robust as on DTV and the signal suffers from constant buffering which I contribute to the huge numbers of folks who have switched over to DTV Now from DTV and AT&T is struggling to keep up. Even so, I can get the streams from other channels like ESPN, Fox Sports Go, Fox Sports Southwest, etc. through the Roku simply by using my DTV Now login. It really depends on your Internet connection. Mine is 100/10 Mbps so I'm good to go.

16. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

So how do you setup through VPN once you buy the subscription? Is it through your modem/router? Or is it software installed to your computer?

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

We decided to cut the cord when we moved to the Austin area last month.

We ended up signing up for ATT Fiber (1000/1000), and direct tv now.

I side loaded the direct tv now app to an android tv box (Mi Box) so we could have a remote, instead of having to cast from our phones. Also put Terrariumtv on it etc....

So far so good.

18. TMac'n

I've found one as well (i guess we're not naming them publicly?) that will run off of Roku and is approx $10 per month for 1 sport.

Do you stream yours through Roku/Chromecast/AppleTV/etc? If so how is the quality? Do you cancel after the season is over?

Also, does anyone know if we have a streaming service that offers NBATV, do they black out the Rockets games if we are here in Houston? I imagine they would but hoping for a loop hole

Dave2000 likes this.
  19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You can do it both ways - it depends on the streaming device being used. For example, I am on Spectrum Internet because I own my modem and router. My router is an Asus RT-AC3100 which comes with VPN server/client capabilities. I can setup a VPN through a service like Private Tunnel, OpenVPN, Tor or the like directly on my router for my entire network. I can also setup a VPN on my streaming device if it's a PC, phone or tablet using OpenVPN or TunnelBrick or Tor clients which encrypt the traffic between the device and the web source.

20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Honestly if Root had their own streaming app for like $5.99 a month I would sign up. Would make my life much easier and I could finally watch Rockets and Astros anywhere. Streaming on a bootleg website is very unreliable lately.