1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] There’s plenty to like and dislike about Rockets play in loss to Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Great article, love the debrief after an L. We know what Ryno is - a very streaky player that is sub-par of defense and, if he's not hitting shots, is really tough to defend having on the court. Tucker, OTOH, is worrisome - he was brought in to be a defensive stopper than can knock down 3s at an average rate, but he's not hitting ANY shots and has looked absolutely lost on the court on both ends. I can't remember the last time I watched a game and thought "oh good play by PJ".

We can get by with streaky Ryno, especially if Moute is healthy and Green (WOW I love this guy) doesn't drop off a cliff, but we need PJ to compete with GSW/SAS, etc.

Clutch, DonKnock and lw17 like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Does no one remember PJ winning the 20T vs the Lakers on NYE. I guess everyone was partying.

cbs1507, Reeko, Crashlanded19 and 8 others like this.
  3. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

You did not watch the lakers game?

But I do agree that with the slump of Ryno and Pj, its like a 4v5.

DonKnock and Remlap like this.
  4. Soneca

Soneca Member

Maybe Clutch receives the newsletter for free, never know. Gotta check your spam.

RiceRockets, Reeko, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Great points. Really frustrating how Clint can be so soft/weak with the ball at times, especially against aggressive defenses. And I'm really starting to worry about our defense. We're building bad habits and it's not like Moute is going to magically fix all of those issues. Our early season defensive success seems like ancient history.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Good article.
    I'm pleasantly surprised at his growth this year, but if Morey is obsessed about beating the Warriors, Capela can't be his starting center. He needs to find a big guy that consistently performs well against the Warriors such as DeMarcus Cousins (in case you're wondering, DeAndre Jordan hasn't been great either against them). A good 5 who can shoot threes is a better fit against them when they go small. I've been on the trade for Cousins bandwagon for a few years, and hopefully this summer we can sign him as a FA.

Beardaholic13 likes this.
  7. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Maybe a Capela+Anderson for Cousins trade in February?

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

HEAD CASE. . . PASS
    Chemistry is also a big part of winning and DMC
    is bull in a china shop. Out of control most times.
    Answers to no one but himself.
    How many coaches has he butted heads with? Uhh. . . all of them?

Beardaholic13 likes this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL.

CF has had countless /rekt moments but I can’t remember the last time I sat up and spit out my drink..

RiceRockets, tinman, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  10. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Celtics fans have said Green is really streaky, so I expect him to cool off at some point, but I'm enjoying his scoring right now. It's just nice to have another guy come off the bench who can create offense.

I wish Anderson could get back to whatever he was doing earlier in the season, when it looked like he had a chip on his shoulder and wanted to prove all the doubters wrong, but it feels like his current slump is closer to what he really is. I wish they could move him because I'm not comfortable about the odds of contending when an important player consistently has confidence issues. And I feel like the team should implement a system that penalizes guys for pump-faking themselves out of open shots. A big part of what makes the Warriors so deadly is that Curry and Thompson have those quick releases, so most of the time they get the ball they're shooting it once they've got a glimpse of daylight, but the Rockets too often hesitate to do what's supposed to be the foundation of their offense.

DonKnock, Deuce, Cash Cam and 2 others like this.
  11. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I would do DJ over boogie for sure.... seems like he wants to be here so hell give us a discount + the opportunity to sign another star next to him.
    While he hasnt performed well vs GS he still for me is the best defensive center you can put against the warriors. he would completely neutralize any of their bigs on the boards on both ends, and also defend intelligently enough to where their back cuts and screens dont just ruin us like it seems to always do.

Remlap likes this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Spot on article, my thoughts exactly.

13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Godamn clutch!

***!

RiceRockets, Reeko, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

we actually need our starting "spacer"/1/5th of our cap/making 70% as much as our franchise player to shoot better than 25% from the three (for these past 10 games) if we are to beat GSW/SAS

and believe me PJs a know competitor RA is not

PJs paid 8M to be a competitor

RA is paid 20M to shoot & make from the three

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Yoooooo!!!!!!

RiceRockets, Soneca, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  16. rockpileindisma

Clutch is out here roasting weenies!!!

DonKnock likes this.
  17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Sweeney Todd (o_O) has nothing on @Clutch! That was a beautifuly executed cut- throat move! Kudos Clutch!!

DonKnock likes this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

Draymond is the annoying reason why we're not able to beat GS consistently. Those little offensive rebounds, flops & transition 3's they get are almost always due to Draymond. I hate him so dearly. But he's magnificent for them. The Rockets need a smallball center that can match his energy. Capela is too slow to match up with Draymond. That's why is hope we can get Faried from Denver

19. val_modus

val_modus Member

I’ve always been a bit skeptical about the head case label with cousins. Haven’t heard a peep out of him in a semi-semi-semi competent organization like NO (relative to Sacramento where it was a dumpster fire and they fired the only coach he loved after like 25 games of an injury plagued season and passed on HUGE draft prospects consistently). Also, he seemed good in team USA with good role models around like he’d have in Houston.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Draymond is a matchup problem with the entire league. Not surprised that Capela has trouble with him. God I wish we had 2010 Chuck Hayes on this team.

I think because of his salary it's more likely we get a cheap starting Power forward in a trade than we trade Anderson (unless it's a much bigger deal that sends Capela out to - for a guy like Marc Gasol or an all star PF). Bringing him off the bench against the opposition's bench with Gordon or Paul might help get him back to form. Tuckers play of late is disappointing but he's a role player- we have him for the playoffs and the occasional key game. We desperately need Luc Black.

I'd love to flip Onaku and Troy Williams for a cheap Nene clone and another PF Dantoni likes. I'd be comfortable with a lineup of:

Capela/ Nene or Nene2/Luc/Black
    Three point shooter/Anderson/Luc
    Ariza/Luc/Tucker
    Gordon/Tucker/Harden
    Harden/Paul

I'd figure out some PF to bring in but I can only spend so much office time on CF ;)