1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017-18 San Antonio Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Dec 27, 2017.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Despite their record, they just seem very mediocre talent-wise. Parker is clearly noticeably in decline and is back-up quality. Patty Mills is probably below average. Aldridge just isn't the same after his injuries. Leonard is great but his injuries could spell a slow and steady decline.

Unlike Thunder with their Big 4, I just don't feel the fear of Spurs. They are punching above their weight but seem less talented than even Timberwolves.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

"Aldridge isn't the same after injuries"

He's having his best season since his Portland days.

3. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

He has definitely picked up his game in Leonard's absence. But when he plays with Leonard, he just seems to disappear too much.

In any case, a hobbling Leonard, 32 year old Aldridge, Parker on his last legs, etc. just don't strike fear like Thunder's Big 4 do.

If I had to bet my house on it, I'd gladly have Rockets face Spurs as opposed to Thunder without hesitation.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Top Defense is coming back.

Lesser Lakers version Gasol at C.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sleep on the Spurs at your own peril. :)

Quietly, as they do, just going about their business. Quietly 25-11.

craigharmann likes this.
  6. rocketseagles07

Lol exactly. We do this every year, when it comes to the spurs falling off I’ll believe it when I see it

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lmao who was it that said Lamarcus was just another Ryan Anderson?

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure I am still alive when that happens.

rocketseagles07 likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

yeah, Rockets lose a few more games here the Spurs will be in 2nd, time to start paying attention to them again.

#9 JayGoogle, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't want to know this :eek: but than again, i also heard, Love was just another Anderson, and Millsap was another Anderson :D

Easy likes this.
  11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL you perfectly timed this while they 3 games behind the warriors and tied with the cavs and while they're on the longest winning streak in the league right now

Pops is still coaching them right?

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't it swell that everyone is trying to measure up to Anderson? :D

Anyway, this is a cleverly disguised "OKC is great" thread.

13. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Their record comes from defeating lottery teams and some pretenders though. That's what they do every year to get a good record.

Tell the truth, which starting lineup is more fearful, Thunder Big 4 or Spurs mostly no name players? I bet even hardcore NBA fans here couldn't name their starters without looking it up.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

no hardcore NBA fan going to against the Spurs as long as Pops is still there

and no hardcore NBA fan will bet on a Westbrook & Melo led team over a Pops led team

you know OKC barely beat us without cp3 and lma and with capela not 100% and with like a 6-man rotation right?

15. rockpileindisma

*** the Spurs, biatch

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

On paper, OKC looked like world beaters, before the season started. On paper, CP3 and Harden couldn't coexist because they play the same position. On paper, Minnesota was supposed to contend with the best teams in the league because of Towns/Butler/Wiggins. Yet, none of these predictions have come true.

On paper, the Spurs are supposed to suck because of DNP-old and Kawhi being injured. Yet they're 25-11 while easing Kawhi back into the lineup, and LMA having a stellar season, so far.

In a game, I'd pick the Thunder to win. In a 7 game series? Those no-name players will methodically pick you apart.

17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

nice loss today

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... so let me get this right, the Thunder are to be feared but the 25-11 Spurs (playing without Leonard most the year) aren’t?

No.

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

With all that, they'll be 2nd seed by the time playoffs comes.

20. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Thunder's early struggles were due to Big 4 trying to figure out their roles and mediocre coaching. Each of Anthony, George and Westbrook were trying to be first option simultaneously.

But Anthony has realized he is not first option quality and has submitted to spot up shooter role player. Paul George similarly is more focused on defense and being a second option.

If you've been paying attention to their last 10 or so games, you can see how deadly they are with all Big 4 clicking.

Bottom line, Thunder is a much more talented team. Spurs are probably less talented than teams like Timberwolves and Nuggets. Yet nobody fears those teams.