1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade Preston Tucker to Braves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 20, 2017.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

2. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Adios Kyle's older brother

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Always felt that he would come along as a hitter if given the opportunities, but this team is too stacked to give a guy like Preston many opportunities. Also, seeing that he's a liability in the field, if he's not hitting, well . . . he doesn't bring much to the mix. Need his spot on the 40 man roster to try out other upcoming guys.

Just hoping this isn't another JD Martinez.

body slam, vince, CometsWin and 2 others like this.
  4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I agree w/ you. He had great potential as a DH.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can't hang on to guys because of the surprising success of a past player that was rightly released at the time. Anyone that says they weren't surprised by the success of JD Martinez (with the exception of JD Martinez himself) is lying. I realize you're not saying they should hold on to Tucker...just tired of people still complaining about losing Martinez.

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

There was literally no reason to keep him. Even if it turns into "another JD Martinez", it is definitely the correct move.

vince and kaleidosky like this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Bye Bye Big Bieber

mick fry likes this.
  8. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I am not as versed in baseball moves as Basketball. Does this trade signify any potential upcoming move? I mean wasn't Preston occupying a slot on the 40 and if so does this free a slot which could indicate a signing? Just curious.

9. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Preston was designated for assignment after the Rondon signing. His 40 man spot went to Rondon.

PhiSlammaJamma likes this.
  10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

So he was gone either way. He was out of options and when DFA he becomes an FA if we can't trade him correct?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, when Astros acquired Rondon, they designated Tucker for assignment to remove him from 40-man roster. Astros had 10 days to trade him or release him at that point. Options not applicable as Tucker was losing his spot on 40-man roster and not the 25-man active roster.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Oh that he does and will probably hit 20 plus hrs.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I think he makes for a nice pinch hitter, but not much more than that.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

He could be Matt Adams' replacement for a bad team like the Braves. A lefty platoon player that plays 1B in the NL or DH in the AL. Needs to OPS .800 at an absolute minimum vs. righties, which he did in 235 ABs in 2015. Really needs to grow into OPSing .850 vs. righties to deserve the role.

If he's lucky, he becomes a poor man's Luke Scott.

Snake Diggit and NIKEstrad like this.
  15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If his little brother is cool with it, then I am too

DoitDickau likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Odd for an NL team to pick him up.

I've always thought, and still do, that Tucker is an MLB hitter. He could make for a decent DH option. But he is a next level butcher in the field from everything we have seen

17. vince

vince Member

Happy for Preston Tucker, he was boxed out for playing time in Houston. Going to the Braves, he knows now that it’s on him to make his MLB career.

It’s good Karma to move guys who are 25 years and up who are being heavily blocked by guys in front of them in the Majors.

DoitDickau likes this.
  18. vince

vince Member

He seems like a MLB legit player. I think he will be a 18-22 Hr guy. And he is going to a good situation for playing time. The competition for playing time in Houston is too much and almost unfair for his level of talent. And like a JD Martínez, he might come back and haunt some Astro fans, but Luhnow is trusting the numbers and the research.

Problem with the Astros for him was that they are demanding both offense and defense. The want multi dimensions to their roster guys. Speed, defense, pitching, elite contact hitting, beyond your typical offensive numbers.

Good luck to Preston Tucker, he gave it a good try for Houston, hope he breaks through with the Braves.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Even if Preston were to go all JD Martinez, I don't think that's falls on Luhnow. Preston had countless opportunities in Houston. We simply can't afford to continue giving him ABs. Time to move on.

I really hope he thrives in ATL. Will always be a Preston Tucker fan.

vince likes this.
  20. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I'm not saying either moves were the wrong moves when made (of course, hindsight makes it easier to say that the JD Martinez move was a mistake). One big difference between JD and Preston: JD had close to 1000 plate appearances with the Astros. That gave the Astros plenty of time to determine whether JD would be a contributor, and he never really emerged here, for whatever reason. Preston has had about 450 plate appearances with the Astros. I'd love to see him have about double that number before writing him off. But, this team is too loaded to give him more opportunities. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him be an everyday player and average 20 HRs, and have an OPS hovering close to .800.