1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Troy Williams?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 26, 2017.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think we've ****ed up his development a bit. It's gotta be confusing to play in an MDA system and trying to earn minutes.

On the one hand , you obviously don't want to look like a ball hog and jack up shots .... On the other hand , it's incredibly clear that your coach values shooting above all else and not taking "open" shots is a cardinal sin ... And any open 3 is an amazing look .

He would be a role player here , so I don't think he needs to go "dominate" the g league. In fact , he wouldn't get to play the same style here ... So it would be bad practice.

I have felt we've undervalued defense at the wings and guards .... Or rather we value shooting much more . We won't play a young player who can't shoot , even if they try to bring it on the other end . It warps the young player's focus and makes them only work on shooting so they can crack the rotation .

I understand that's our system and that's the role these players would play .... But it's not exactly conducive to development.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The more I think about it the more I want to see Qi take up the slack. I think he’s the best player we have outside of the regular rotation. Not to mention highest potential, hopefully some regular action will kickstart his development.

I know it’s not exactly apples to apples with him and Luc I’d like to see him try. I believe in his shooting ability even though he’s clearly working through nerves and I think his length on defense would surprise people.

I really don’t think leaning heavier on the rotation is the answer.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm more hopeful for Qi's potential and for his future, but Williams is the more ready NBA player right now

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. jogo

jogo Member

Didn't we just pass a deadline where players signed in the summer can now be traded? That may mean we trade for someone to help while Luc is out (as it doesn't look like MDA wants to play him and Qi may not be ready for the pressure).

5. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

#65 dfbreyes, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gerald Green took his spot.

DD

Deuce, heypartner and raining threes like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member