1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' Three Point Shooting Before and After his Return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Riz, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Came across this great article primarily focused on CP3's influence on Rockets' 3pt shooting.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/...on-rockets-three-point-shooting-to-new-levels

You can read the article, but I found these stats fascinating! I think EGO is just having a bit of a tough time adjusting to reduced minutes and coming off the bench after pretty much being the second in command on the floor. I don't think his shooting slump is directly linked to CP3's playmaking. Thank goodness for his drive in and layup abilities!!

[​IMG]

RudyTBag, OmegaSupreme, Vivi and 4 others like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ryan Anderson is hitting 70% of threes assisted by Paul. He's just a better passer than Harden in terms of pin point accuracy and it helps our shooters.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He hits the shooters “pocket” better than probably any passer ever.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Did you guys hear that Ryan Anderson is shooting better from 3 when Paul passes to him?

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Paul simply helps make the shooters more open, since he's a scoring threat, too...just like Harden does.

Excellent passing is just one part of the equation. Having more fire-power on the floor is another.

Paul is more a threat to score by himself vs anyone in his role this year or last, so naturally, he creates space for the shooters that they never had when Harden wasn't on the floor, and especially when both Harden and Paul are on the floor together. Plus, Paul and Ryno are resting together, so they also face the opponent's worst line-ups together, when we keep the pedal on the floor and crush the opps.

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  6. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Point Gawd

DonKnock likes this.
  7. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I think both have great vision and that's why they're able to get so many assists, but Paul moves around the court with the ball and is very patient until he finds the right open man. On nearly all plays where he is commanding, I've watched him dribble out in the perimeter than drive in and come right back out if he can't find the right play. Harden not so much. He will find a man and if the ball comes back to him, he'll either drive in or shoot a 3 himself. Nothing wrong with that, but that's the biggest difference I've noticed.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. heypartner

Are there any stats comparing the zones Ryno is shooting from when Paul passing to him, and how far back he is. @durvasa @Deuce [edit] along with just watching the vids on nba.com

Remember there was a theory which many of us predicted before the season, that the addition of Paul will cause defenses to leave Ryno more open...if our theory is true, Ryno's stats should show more Corner 3s and more 3s from 24-25', versus >26'.

So, not only is Paul hitting the pocket making it difficult for the defense to close-out as Ryno catch-n-shoots in glorious rhythm, but Paul's presence as a scoring threat himself also lets Ryno slide to the Corner 3 and step in closer when above the break.

#8 heypartner, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul, the Gordon Stopper.

Pen15clubber and amaru like this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

[​IMG]

napalm06 likes this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm with HeyP here. This isn't an issue of Paul being a significantly better passer than Harden, this is more about having a really good passer dishing the ball out to them for 48 minutes rather than just 34 minutes a game. Consistency is key. Yes, Paul is a better passer than Harden, but it's not as significant as these numbers in the OP. If Harden was out and only Paul played, the three point percentage would still drop during that span because Paul won't play 48 minutes.

12. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

How about Mbah a Moute, huh? Maybe he should attempt more threes. Paul should try making plays for him. Get him going offensively.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Indeed. James might have better vision of the court (it helps to be 5 inches taller), but his passes tend to sink at the end where the shooter has to bend down a bit to grab it. CP3s land in the shooters hands.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. heypartner

well, Ryno is quoted as saying Paul's passes being on the money are helping him. My take is it might not be *just* an issue of Paul's passes. And I agree, it's not like all of Harden's passes are off-mark and slow.

(fwiw: Ryno is 2-9 in last 6 games when neither Paul or Harden pass to him.)

I'm curious if it is systemic reasons, too, on top of Paul's accuracy and zip....ie, is more fire-power on the court also translating to shooters being more open (and closer in) and are our elite shooters being able to slide into the Corner 3 more than they did last year.

#14 heypartner, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    BigMaloe likes this.
  15. theimpossibles1

Completely unrelated side-note:

Ryno (Ryan Anderson) has actually improved his 3pt % on shots assisted by CP3 (Chris Paul).

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, sometimes Harden passes the ball to Ryan behind his back, most of times Ryan has to bend or somehow move to grab the ball (pretty sure you also saw this happening), maybe that kinda puts him out of rhythm.

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Not to dog on Harden, but his the behind-the-back pass to Anderson on threes has always bothered me even when the shot goes in. The ball arrives in front of Anderson instead of his cradle causing him to step up to grab it and then reposition instead of one fluid catch-and-shoot motion.

Also, Harden can be careless at times leading to a turnover when Anderson is not in position or least expecting the pass. I just think it's too flashy and unnecessary.

[​IMG]

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i heard that somewhere if i am not mistaken, that and Howard and josh smith being aau teamates

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like that play. If Ryno decides not to take that three he can drive or kick it out to the corner which is completely unguarded in this clip. Not only that, but Capela has the corner three shielded from help. I think that's Lou Williams in the corner which makes that a lethal position for the pair of three point threats.

I'm not sure how Harden is supposed to pass that ball better. He drew a double team because he kept his dribble. If he picks up the dribble to make a sharper pass, I've gotta think the defense would adjust quicker to our offense. I just don't see the point in picking on this play. As long as Harden can see all 5 guys, he knows whether it's a risky pass or not.

RudyTBag, hakeem94 and bulkatron like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this!