1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does Altuve's 2017 season compare to Hakeem's 1994 season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Dec 1, 2017.

?

How does Altuve's 2017 season compare to Hakeem's 1994 season?

1. Altuve's was more impressive.

11.4%
  2. Hakeem's was more impressive.

88.6%
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Baseball is not a sport.

Compare whoever that guy is to Tiger Wood in his prime for an apple to apple comparison.

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I voted Hakeem. Jose would have to have won a Gold Glove and a World Series MVP to equal Hakeem.

Hippieloser likes this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Such disrespect!

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

He is a houston legend and a champion

[​IMG]

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yeah but Dream likely speaks it along with French, Swahili and some crazy Muslim languages..:p

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Altuve is 1/1 in the Championship round.
    Olajuwon is 2/3 in the Championship round.

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

You can't compare because it's completely different sports, situations, and roles.

Baseball requires more team player involvement. Altuve didn't really play well during the World Series and the team was lifted by Springer's bats. You can have a player like Dream on a baseball team and still lose badly.

In basketball, one man can carry a whole team. We've seen dream do this and make everyone better.

I will say that seeing the astros win and rockets winning were the greatest sports times in my lifetime that I'll never forget.

thaGREATwall likes this.
  9. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

How many other players have won NBA MVP & DPOY in the same season? As far as I can tell, it's only Hakeem and Jordan. Jordan did it in 88, and the Bulls did not win the championship, so it looks like Hakeem is the ONLY player in NBA history to win MVP, DPOY, & Finals MVP in the same season.

That is a legendary season. I feel like Altuve would have had to hit almost .400 to compare, and I'm a bigger baseball fan that basketball.

10. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Uh....

This is a hate crime, I hope you know.

Also: Reported.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

I am by no means a baseball fan, but the tweet in the OP seemed to feature a laundry list of individual accomplishments. I'd still say Hakeem, but the two players are not as incomparable as you make it out to be.

And the only thing you said was that Altuve didn't play well in the WS. One, it's not like he completely choked / was a no-show. Two, you seemed to disregard the entirety of the regular season.

12. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

My point on Altuve is that if hakeem didn't do his MVP during the finals against NY, and we can find away if even possible to equate baseball to basketball, then the rockets don't win a championship. So the nod goes to Hakeem but it's still different sports.

"but the two players are not as incomparable as you make it out to be" Again, apples to oranges. Regular season or not, comparing a baseball 2nd base position to a 90's center position and all they entail is impossible especially with it being completely different sports.

The impact Hakeem can make in a game in its time is so different than the impact of 1 player out of 9 on a baseball team. Both individuals are great in their accomplishments.